Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this in a old shop that went out of busniess, I use it on my 1911's and it works great, no oil to attract dust and lint, its a fine powder. Anyone heard of it?

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
never heard of it. I use gun oil on my guns though. Nothing wrong with dry lube sprays or CLP.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rocky said:
never heard of it. I use gun oil on my guns though. Nothing wrong with dry lube sprays or CLP.
I use Hoppes #9 on a rag, wipe the gun down then wipe it with a clean cloth, spray the graphite on the slide rails and springs.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I have heard that tho dry lube - graphite - has lube qualities it will never compare with a good oil or light grease.

I doubt its persistance is anywhere near adequate. Not for me!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm a big fan of graphite lube, especially in extremely dusty environments. Outers-Blount makes something similar that goes on wet but dries to powder.

For normal conditions and storage I've always used CLP.

“Speed is fine, but accuracy is final.” - Bill Jordan

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
duck - I am no tribologist but - I really cannot see the persistence from graphite (or any powder type lube) as being adequate. It does while present work pretty well - but IMO there is no film effect.

Most oils - if viscous enough and greases more so - will even when seemingly disappeared, still provide a molecular film between bearing surfaces. Modern lubes even in such thin layers can stand enormous pressures and so give good protection.

I regard graphite when present as only giving a low friction effect but under point pressure - no barrier remains.

Only my 2c y'hear :smile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did I say welcome yet? Darned if I did - welcome aboard :smile:

·
Registered
262 Posts
P95-

You're right about the persistance; graphite requires more diligence to keep it applied. I was sold on it in Iraq, where we found that CLP even if applied and wiped off was still too "wet." It simply turned to mud in that environment with the talcum powder-like dust. We ended up cleaning weapons (and magazines) daily, and wiping them off throughout the day.

I still use it on my waterfowl guns if I know the temp is going to be below freezing, because it seems to work a little better in those temps.

Day to day, I'm a big fan of CLP.

duckhunter

“Speed is fine, but accuracy is final.” - Bill Jordan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts