Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I consider myself fairly well mechanically inclined but,..............NO WAY. I simply buy my weapons already checkered or have a professional do it the right way.

To me, on a 1911 especially, I consider front strap checkering a must have item. The rougher the better.

Consider this,the recoil of a revo is one streight back force. A 1911(and other auto's)have a forward "recoil" also. This is the slide slammin' into battery. This,especially in the 1911's that have one of the heavier aftermarket springs.(like a couple of mine)

I want all the friction that I can get in my grips. ---------

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Maybe some day, but I'm not up for doing my own work on the part of the gun I can't get replaced after I screw it up.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Another description of this has been done by Jess of OnTarget - and there is a page describing it -

http://www.ontargetcgw/basefile/diy-check.htm

I think if done very carefully it could be achieved by quite a lot of people but as is obvious - you don't really get a second chance if you screw up :eek:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Oops - thx Matt - sloppy typing this morning :wink:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
This something I'd leave for the pros....if I were to do it I can guarantee the need to get a replacement gun five minutes after starting the project!

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The "F" in FRAME stands for Forever. :yup:

If you messed up...could probably stipple over it or add weld metal texture....for sure though ya don't want to be making any frame boo boos. Even the slide....iffen you mess that up...you can always buy a new slide.
You'll kick yourself for messing up that slide but, at least you can order a new one & start over.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Perfectly good 1911 frame + file + me = file + paperweight + cursing idiot.
I am not a gunsmith. Wish I had that talent, but I must resign myself to what I'm good at (fastest beer-opener, expert mess maker, etc.).

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
Thanks but no thanks.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Ah, c'mon guys ... just send those guns to Tangle, he's a power tool junky! :lolp:
Jack

(oops, I forgot he can ban me now!)

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
not for me. Looks like lots of work. Too easy to screw up for me too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I write software for a living. I write, compile, and test. When I mess it up (multiple times per day), I just edit the code, compile and test again. And again. Rinse, wash, repeat.

I don't think I've got the cojones to take a file to a frame. I'll buff a feed ramp, but there's only so much damage you can do with 600 grit sandpaper, oil, and your finger...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Blindhogg is an old buddy of mine from a home gunsmith forum. He is really good at what he does and was tremendously helpful when I built a 1911 from scratch. I wouldn't attempt the checkering but please check out his sight. He has a lot of good info for 1911 fans.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Really cool to see how it done but I wouldn't dare try it. Hell even if I could do it I would probably rather spend a couple hundred bucks rather than spending 4 or 5 tedious hours taking a file to my frame.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There is relief if you make a mistake. EGW makes a weld in panel that will repair a bad checkering job. They cut out the old panel and weld in a new one that is already checkered. Hand checkering is not for the meak at heart, but it can be done. The best thing to do is to just send it out and have it done. I don't do hand checkering much anymore. I send most of my checkering out to EGW and let George run it on his CNC machine. Checkering turns out dead perfect and for the price, you really canot beat it.

Jess

1 - 20 of 24 Posts