Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I have, and have carried, both types. I choose to carry an LCR .38. My reasons:
  • It will do for the vast majority of situations. It is my personal choice to plan for historically likely events, not sentinel events.
  • It is really easy to carry in a pocket holster.
  • I have been shooting DA revos for over 55 years. I'm pretty good with them.
  • The LCR has a great out of the box trigger.
  • I feel it is a safer gun to carry than most micro-9s.
  • I feel it would be a better choice than a micro-9 in a contact combat situation. No slide to get pushed out of battery.
  • The LCR comes completely "de-burred." It has no sharp or rough edges on it out of the box.
I know all of those may be debatable, but I won't debate them. They are how I feel and what I feel comfortable with. If I wanted to "up" my carry, it would be a second LCR, maybe a 3". Maybe even an SP101 3". Sometimes I carry a Smith Model 36 along with the LCR now.

FWIW, if I ever feel the need to do "heavy" carry, I have a 1911 with Wilson 8-round mags and +P JHPs. I would still have the LCR as a BUG.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not sure why you need to make sure you feel that your choice is superior. It's not, it never will be. Its just your choice.
This is the definitive statement.

·
Registered
741 Posts
If grip size is an issue. A stock grip on a J-frame is usual no bigger, and likely smaller than the grips on most micro-9s. Would a stock grip J-frame give you better purchase than the P365, you have in your hand in the pic?
That's another apple/banana measurement. Sure, the grip on a j frame is usually no bigger, and many times is actually quite smaller than a micro 9.

The thing is, the grip on a revolver is made to fit the palm of your hand. It's rounded, its curved, it's ergonomic. If one doesn't fit your hand, you can usually find a plethora of options to switch to.

The grip of a poly micro 9 is not. Not even close. It's also not replaceable so that you can find something that fits your hand. It's a right angled, rectangular hard plastic that may have some checkering on it. The best you can do to improve it is to wrap it in tape.

A smaller revolver grip is easier to hold onto than most micro 9 grips. Due to that, the revolver doesn't usually jump in a hand, which can be an issue for micro 9's.

Sometimes in life you need to look past the numbers and actually go to the field to see what those specs mean and how they act in the real world.

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
That's another apple/banana measurement. Sure, the grip on a j frame is usually no bigger, and many times is actually quite smaller than a micro 9.

The thing is, the grip on a revolver is made to fit the palm of your hand. It's rounded, its curved, it's ergonomic. If one doesn't fit your hand, you can usually find a plethora of options to switch to.

The grip of a poly micro 9 is not. Not even close. It's also not replaceable so that you can find something that fits your hand. It's a right angled, rectangular hard plastic that may have some checkering on it. The best you can do to improve it is to wrap it in tape.

A smaller revolver grip is easier to hold onto than most micro 9 grips. Due to that, the revolver doesn't usually jump in a hand, which can be an issue for micro 9's.

Sometimes in life you need to look past the numbers and actually go to the field to see what those specs mean and how they act in the real world.
Well said!

Reactions: CreedDryrot

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
i came into some hollow base wadcutters for the 38.....i am planning on loading a batch of them backwards and trying them out for the heck of it......though i still will only carry factory loads.....years of habit and policy at work there and its difficult to turn it off.
I would just load them up standard. After all, you should be able to get decent accuracy out of them. The full meplat should do more damage than a round nose, for a given velocity.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I would just load them up standard. After all, you should be able to get decent accuracy out of them. The full meplat should do more damage than a round nose, for a given velocity.
true......but its also one of them cases where i just gots to know....

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Until one of you guys have a primer back out a bit you have no idea how useless it will be . You can't open it with out perhaps bending the crane or rotate the cylinder . Its a rock . At least with a pistol if you have cartridge issue must times toy do a tap rack bang drill .
I have carried a snub nose then a cm9 kahr some years later as a at work carry when building homes and both work so long as your not sitting down !! I was smart enough to stop pocket carrying after work too . Retired now so NO POCKET GUNS for carry for any reason .

MY wife as 5' 2" and 65 years old . Her carry is a kimber ultra 9mm or p365XL She has no love for the smaller version ether .
Having had a couple revolver malfunctions over the years taught me two things.

1. It can happen and can be quite permanent
2. Carry a spare gun regardless of what your primary is because autos can have permanent malfunctions as well.

For awhile after the first I had I swore them off and wouldn’t carry them. It stuck in my mind so much that I couldn’t fix it as I had so many auto malfunctions I didn’t trust them. That said a lot of the time now days my back up is a revolver. I don’t have to worry about a out of battery failure or a poor grip meaning the gun doesn’t work. Both have attributes to add to the table and both have detractors I’m of the opinion that each person must pick what’s best for them. Just my .02

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Which makes me wonder which of my pistols I would most like to have if it were reduced to a bludgeoning weapon.
That's a toss up between my L-frame Smith and steel Colt officers model.

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
Which makes me wonder which of my pistols I would most like to have if it were reduced to a bludgeoning weapon.
That's a toss up between my L-frame Smith and steel Colt officers model.
Ive always kind of joked that I don’t like melt jobs on a 1911, because those sharp angles could be useful if it came down to a pistol whipping.

Reactions: PD1097 and viney266

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
If you carry a bigger gun (auto or revolver) as a primary, I can fully understand that. The point of this thread isn't to compare micro-9s to bigger guns. That's a completely different issue. And I understand using a J-frame as a bug. But a small auto can serve the same purpose.

If grip size is an issue. A stock grip on a J-frame is usual no bigger, and likely smaller than the grips on most micro-9s. Would a stock grip J-frame give you better purchase than the P365, you have in your hand in the pic?
J frame.jpg

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
So, for me, micro-nines have no value. I can ignore the whole category.
I’ll amend this assertion, to clarify, that I do not consider double-column-mag G26 “baby Glocks” to be in the micro-nine category. There is nothing really “micro” about a pistol with a slide as wide, blocky, and rearward-protruding as G26 Glocks. Slide a G17 mag into a G26, especally with one of those third-party mag sleeve-like things, to extend the gripping area, and one has a snubbified service/duty pistol.

I do not miss my Gen4 G19 Glocks, which I traded-away, after they started causing pain and swelling in my aging right thumb/hand/wrist, but I do miss my Gen4 G26, which I sold to one of my former rookie trainees. I now plan to probably replace it, when a local ”blue label” dealer has one available, as such a weapon does fill a niche. I’ll not abuse my right hand, by shooting it right-handed.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
Is that the stock grip?
Yep, stock banana grip. They are a bit longer than what most people like. I can get away with the boot grip, but for magnums the longer grip is more better. My hand is a little torqued on there trying to get a picture. Usually I am up all the way on the backstrap.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
It looks line you have all three fingers on there. Is it pocketable like that. A lot of J-frame grips are definitively two finger.

If you start comparing the Micro-9s to J's with full three finger grips, the latter look even better IMO.

Yep, stock banana grip. They are a bit longer than what most people like. I can get away with the boot grip, but for magnums the longer grip is more better. My hand is a little torqued on there trying to get a picture. Usually I am up all the way on the backstrap.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
It looks line you have all three fingers on there. Is it pocketable like that. A lot of J-frame grips are definitively two finger.

If you start comparing the Micro-9s to J's with full three finger grips, the latter look even better IMO.
The gun and my hand does not fit in my pockets at the same time. I don't pocket carry, except parka.....

·
Registered
741 Posts
This one isn't mine, its a found image of mine. It's a S&W 637 Performance Center. I carry it in the right front pocket of my Duluth Trading cargo shorts using a kydex pocket holster from aholster.com

It fits as well as my 442 with a small boot grip does in the same holster in the same pocket. Actually, it fits so well that I'm considering changing the 442's boot grip to a Combat similar to this from Altamont.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts

Especially because small autos bit as well

41 - 60 of 105 Posts