Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
143,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I did a forum search for Downsizer WSP & came up with nada. So...I decided to add a thread topic about this single shot .45 handgun that is (yes, it really is) smaller than a playing card.
I wonder if it is already obsolete now that we have the Rohrbaugh 9mm which is really quite small & packs more bulletos.
Does anybody here see any concealed carry use for a small single shot .45 acp? It would seem to me that there would be more effective firearms out there to use as a B.U.G. ~ I would probably rather have a tiny North American Arms .22 revolver than a single round of .45
Your opinions are (of course) always welcome! :smile:
Here is the link to the Downsizer Page.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Got to be a handfull when it goes boom!! :eek: Have you shot it?

·
Registered
615 Posts
The only thing that darn gun is good for is those "won't be taken alive" situations!

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Geez, that thing looks like a staple gun :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Haha - that is just a suicide gun - once all is just too much - ''Pop'' . one shot is all that's needed! :biggrin:

Seriously - and not meaning to be crazy flippant - I reckon that as ever - some gun is better than no gun but!!! ............

I would in honesty rather have my ''last resort'' gun be my NAA mini revo in .22mag than just this one (sh*t or bust) bang of .45acp! Better still, as mentioned - I'll certainly stick with my R9 - 6+1 of 9mm is way more use to me.

This piece has always been intriguing cos - let's face it - you can't get much smaller!! I would choose over that tho some of the many ''Derringer'' variants on the market - two shots perhaps of .410 mag 3" ...... or two of even 38 spl.

Fun to own maybe - but not for me - as carry!! :tongue:

·
Administrator
143,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Comments

I am intrigued by the Downsizer WSP (Worlds Smallest Pistol) for 2 reasons.
The first reason being that it IS highly unique for its diminutive size, design, & caliber. It is also very high quality construction.
Actually, if I were a much younger guy I would buy one & keep it in mint condition because I feel pretty certain that its future will be quite good as a very collectible idiosyncratic firearm. 30 or 40 years down the road.
The idea of a "last ditch" BIG BOOM large .45 caliber suprise is neat also.
If the cost were a couple of hundred dollars ~ rather than $400.00 then I (for sure) would buy one right now. Just to shoot it! :biggrin:
For now though...unless I win the lottery ~ I think I'll buy a Rohrbaugh 9mm next.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Another Oddball

Not meaning to hijack your post, but speaking of idiosyncratic firearms, does anyone remember the COP .357? I shot one of these back in early the 80's and it was a handfull. Had a lousy trigger with 4 independent firing pins. It's been out of production for years, but saw one at a recent gunshow so I know they can be found....if anyone would really want one! :wink:

·
Administrator
143,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh...THE COP

Oh...Hijack My Thread anytime. Permission granted.
The Cop...4 stationary .357 barrels with a rotating firing pin. (I think)
I actually had a chance to buy one. My old boss was selling one & I passed.
That was a true "Jam It In The Ol' Belly Button" close up defensive firearm. :biggrin:
It was decently innovative though.
Thanks for posting those photos of it.
I forgot all about that one hit Stainless Steel wonder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think the square barrel of the Downsizer WSP reminded me the COP.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I wouldnt mind having a WSP, but thats a lot of money for one shot IMO.

I never heard of the COP until i saw a post about it at THR. IIRC someone started a thread asking about the gun that Monica Bellucci's character used on one of the werewolves in (I think) the Matrix Reloaded. I didnt even notice the gun wasnt something I'd seen because my attenetion was focused on Monica Bellucci...

·
Registered
1 Posts
i own a derringer COP (4 barrel .357mag). i am a collector and bought it for my collection. yes the COP's are not the best in terms of reliability. mine light strikes every second or third shot. but i bought it as a collectable. i also own a derringer (manufatured by american derringer corp.) model 1 in 9mmP.

i am looking to buy a Downsizer WSP for my collection as well as a Semmerling LM4. so if anyone knows anything more about either give me a shout. i can not find anything about the downsizer there is a web page that is useless at best (www.downsizer.com) and there are the same pics as everyone posts. the person that started this thread had a decent pic of the WSP next to a pack of cigs. if you read this thread please let me know where u sourced the pic. american derrigner corporation are making the Semmerling LM4 in limited quantities for around $3600.00. where would i find a Downsizer WSP??????

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Only if I've I've expended the ammo in my prmary weapon and spare mag, my prmary bug and spare mag, and the two rounds in my .38 special derringer would that be useful. I don't think I would want one.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Alternative - a knife

I believe a small knife might be more useful as a contact distance, last ditch defensive weapon than the single shot Downsizer. This one only costs $26, not $400.
KA-BAR defensive knife

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
IIRC, COP stands for,Compact Off duty Police.

Were these really designed for this purpose. These weapons are wider and heavier than the J-frames.

Probably a so-so colectors item only. Would guess value to be $250'ish.

Not for me, but can understand the interest in a weapon such as this. -------

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
reminders me of the Liberator pistols dropped during WW2.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A little research . . .

Good morning, QK,

I did a little research on this gun quite some time back (about a year ago) before I found some options that suited me a little better (operationally and financially!!). It seems that the company may still exist but making contact with the owner or anyone who works there is next to impossible. I tried contact by email as well as tracking down phone numbers, mailing addresses, etc. Even had a local dealer send a letter trying to purchase one for me (again before I found better options). No response . . . ever! I have found a few other people who have ordered from him. Some got their money back with no gun, other got no money or gun. I have yet to actually contact anyone who has one of these.

retsupt99 must still be asleep or he would have already commented about how much better my NAA .22 mag is than this gun, due to its superior aerodynamics and better balanced center of gravity when being thrown at the BG!!!:rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist that last one after the good-humored ribbing I got trying to find ammo for my NAA: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17180

On a serious note, here's the link for the guy who never got his gun or money: http://www.subguns.com/boards/inquiryarchive.cgi?noframes;read=13883

·
Administrator
143,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CCWv

I actually posted those photos here for forum member andrewmoore who requested some pics. That is why I left them full size and did not resize them.

Yep, I also heard that it's nearly impossible to get ahold of one.

I think it's a unique & and possible future highly collectible firearm.

I would like to own one for the cool factor but, not willing to flush the $$$ down the toilet and get my cash ripped off attempting to buy one.

Dan Chapman of Downsizer Corp. was reportedly put out of business by Alcohol Firearms & Tobacco.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Did search on Downsizer and ATF

I did a web search on "Downsizer" and "ATF" and turned up the following from Auction Arms, the firearm auction site:

Auction Arms comment on Downsizer

1 - 20 of 25 Posts