Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any helpful hints for improving the draw from a Smart Carry?

What about from a bellyband?

I feel fumbly and awkward from these things.

I know it will never be as good/easy as a holster, but surely there are improvements to be had.

Any helpful hints or tips?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have one for my .38 snubbie and I find that it was hard to draw from if the grip was below my waistband. Once I learned to wear it a little higher and with an untucked cover shirt it was much easier.
I use the holster when I carry the snubbie as a back up or at home if I change to sweats. At home in sweats I let the holster ride outside of the pants if my t-shirt is long enough to cover it. The appendix position seems to work the best for me, it allows me to sit without getting poked and puts the grip in an easy reach.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you index to anything if you draw from these things? Or you just pull it out as best as possible?

·
Registered
7,421 Posts

What about from a bellyband?
I prefer the belly band for my deep concealment needs. I asked my wife to sew a leather backer on mine where my pistol rides when it's holstered and it makes it way more comfortable and adds a sweat barrier.

As for the quick draw, not gonna happen. For me. it's a trade off to have my pistol on me vs not.

·
Registered
100 Posts
thunderware suggestions-
1) practice with weapon EMPTY
2) practice from various positions (standing, sitting, etc)
3) practice in the clothes you wear regularly
4) consider more carefully the thought process required and perhaps up your awareness status a notch so that a quick draw is secondary to considerations like spotting situation prior to need to draw, seeking cover, avoidance etc.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
In the OP, the reference to an alternative carry method...

SOB carry might also be included...my IWB/SOB is a palm out draw from the right kidney area (not over the spine). Awkward for some, but relatively an easy draw if you practice. OMO

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
In the OP, the reference to an alternative carry method...

SOB carry might also be included...my IWB/SOB is a palm out draw from the right kidney area (not over the spine). Awkward for some, but relatively an easy draw if you practice. OMO
How's from the right kidney area (not over the spine) SOB? :hand5:

Funning aside, that's a suggestion I need to try.

I had "Never SOB" (meaning over the spine) because of the high injury potential drummed into my head so long I never considered a 4 or 5 o'clock carry w/ a IWB/SOB.

Got to love this forum. Always something to learn here.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
WOW..."Cell-Pal"....a definate rip off of the Pager-Pal holster.

I've been wearing the Pager-Pal for about 5 years now. The man in the video is right...the most concealed and most comfortable carry I have been able to find. It just irks me that he is feeding off of another's original idea. But then, that's capitalism at work. Maybe he bought the rights to it.

Check out the pricing for the both of them....they're identicle in appearance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem isn't a need for ultra deep concealment so much as giving me more variety of clothing options. :smile:

Belly band, in particular, works for a lot of my clothes, but I worry about the slow draw.

Smart Carry is mostly around the house, doing chores, etc, and it's because it's comfy. (If I wear it with regular clothes, I tend to look like I'm packing something other than a gun, lol!)

I just need options.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
WOW..."Cell-Pal"....a definate rip off of the Pager-Pal holster.

I've been wearing the Pager-Pal for about 5 years now. The man in the video is right...the most concealed and most comfortable carry I have been able to find. It just irks me that he is feeding off of another's original idea. But then, that's capitalism at work. Maybe he bought the rights to it.

Check out the pricing for the both of them....they're identicle in appearance.
Actually if I'm not mistaken it is made by the same company. Since pagers have pretty much gone out of style they adapted it for cell phones and renamed it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Phoebe,

Where on your body are you positioning the belly band?

I've found that I can wear mine so it puts the gun in the exact same spot where I typically wear my belt holster (appendix carry for me). In that case, the draw is exactly the same as the draw from the belt holster.

On the other hand, I can also position it high on my abdomen, just underneath my bosom. In that case, my draw either involves pulling my shirt up above my bosom as I draw, or reaching down through a low cut neckline. Either is slower than the draw from beltline, but neither is onerous once you've learned the trick.

Hmmmm. I feel a photo series coming on...

pax

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pax,

The most clothing options are gained by my wearing the bellyband high on my waist and tucking the gun so that the grip is under my breasts. (middle)

So to get it out, requires either going down my shirt or raising my shirt.

I assume if the clothing could let me get away with it at appendix position, I could just use an IWB. Does the bellyband buy you anything in that position?

The only other position I've tried is still up high, but off center (2 oclock, but again, under a breast.)

So I just tried it on my hip at 2. Prints with what I'm wearing, but that does give me some new options. Thanks for the hot tip! Not sure why I didn't think of it.

Would you ever wear a bellyband at the hip at 4?

My current IWB holster is a worthless piece o junk, so I ordered a few options from High Noon. (They haave a great return policy.)

So, I haven't played with IWB that much yet in terms of how it impacts clothing choices.

Thank goodness winter is coming.

ETA: I tried to take some photos, but I think I need some help from another person.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I assume if the clothing could let me get away with it at appendix position, I could just use an IWB. Does the bellyband buy you anything in that position?
Yes, it buys me the ability to wear dress pants that have too-thin (or utterly nonexistent) belt loops, or to wear skirts with elastic waist bands, with the gun positioned exactly where I am most accustomed to wearing it. Given the casual way I live, it's not a necessary deal very often, but my life would be a lot more difficult if I didn't have that option available to me when I needed to be more formal.

Would you ever wear a bellyband at the hip at 4?
I know at least one woman who does so, or who did do so a couple of years ago anyway. (Not sure how she's carrying these days.) No reason not to try it!

For me it wouldn't work. I'm such a classic hourglass that anything on or behind the hip is terribly uncomforable and poorly concealed. But that's a personal-shape issue, not a drawback to the method itself.

Good luck with the search for an IWB that works for you. Personally I found that if I did not have a tuckable IWB, my clothing choices would be a whole lot more limited indeed. With the tuckable, I've just got a whole lot more options and that's good. One nice thing about the tuckable is that you don't have to tuck when you wear it, but the option is there if you need it.

For men, finding one method and sticking with it seems the way to go. But for women, our clothing choices are a lot more varied, so I think we also need to be a little more flexible in our carry methods -- even though consistency is important too. For me, I found one primary technique (tuckable appendix IWB), two on-body alternates (belly band or ankle holster), and two off-body alternates (purse or fanny pack). I use the primary IWB method probably 90% of the time and it works well. But without the alternates, the other 10% of the time would be very very awkward or outright impossible.

pax

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
I'm not sure how you dress, so I'll list a few things that help my draw.

1) It is easier to draw cleanly if I wear a t-shirt and tuck it between the SmartCarry and underwear, with or without a cover shirt (or wear a tucked-in shirt, but then I have to watch for printing). To draw, I place my hand on the t-shirt (or tucked-in shirt) just above my beltline, and push down. I flare my fingers forward, and my thumb glides into position. It's much easier for me to cleanly place my thunb on the grip than if I don't have my shirt tucked in.

If I'm not wearing a tucked-in shirt, I have to be more specific with where I place my thumb, otherwise it might get tangled in my underwear. In that situation, once my hand goes below the belt line, I may have to grab the gun with only my fingers, then pull it up some before I can get my thumb on the grip cleanly. That can delay the draw. Tucking a shirt eliminates the possibility of getting my thumb caught in my underwear.

2) Looser pants, not snug at the waist, belt not tight either. That won't work for everyone, but if possible, it makes it easier to draw. If pants will hang on the hips somewhat loosely, then one can draw on-handed without using the support hand to pull the pants away from the body.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Something that hasn't been mentioned, but I feel is worthy of consideration is what could happen if you only have one hand available to draw and fire.
I normally carry OWB at 3:00 and always practice my draw one handed. Chances are that if I ever need to draw I might have to do so one-handed. I do the same thing when I use the smart carry.
Basically I do it this way, thumb pointing up, first finger pointing down the other three fingers slightly curled. The thumb comes up under the untucked shirt, first finger is already "indexed" and the other fingers in position to grasp the grip of the gun. If I happen to be carrying my 1911 the thumb is ready to release the safety as the gun comes out of the holster, while the first finger is still indexed along the side of the frame until the gun is pointed at the target.
I practice this drill regularly(with an unloaded weapon, of course, and hubby has timed me with a stop-watch, best time from start to draw to presenting at the(imaginary) target is 1.4seconds.
Dry fire practice and draw practice at home is part of my regular defense tactics to train muscle memory.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The problem isn't a need for ultra deep concealment so much as giving me more variety of clothing options. :smile:

Belly band, in particular, works for a lot of my clothes, but I worry about the slow draw.

Smart Carry is mostly around the house, doing chores, etc, and it's because it's comfy. (If I wear it with regular clothes, I tend to look like I'm packing something other than a gun, lol!)

I just need options.
Somehow, I just don't think the smart carry was designed for women.

Men and women really do have different issues with CC. Rugergirl has some great advice in this thread. I hope you find a solution. When you figure it out, can you please post your results?

Thanks!
-M

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Somehow, I just don't think the smart carry was designed for women.
I imagine it would be interesting watching a lady draw from one wearing a skirt, especially a long one. :image035:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Practice, practice, practice. Use your imagination and ideas as well. Nothing is awkward or off the wall if you can implement it successfully. A lot of time and testing involved...many may have suggestions, but nobody else can do it for you. Start building on what you want, and imagine yourself deploying with the perfect draw. Then work with everything you've put together. Make adjustments, and do it all over again. Good luck with it all.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts