Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am just wondering how many people on this forum have ever had to use or display there weapons in self defense. i am not talking about on duty leo, just the private citizen in a bad moment. also i would like to know if anyone has had more than one incident. just give a brief reason for defense.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Can't quote a link but we did have a thread on this a while ago. Might be hard to bring up with a search but worth a try.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did just try some sample searches and no actual thread I can find but - if you plug in a search (advanced) with ''actual shooting'' you will get some threads I think you'll find interesting.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i drew mine about a month ago. happened to be in the house but...
a kid was (i guess) trying to do a snatch and grab off of my kitchen counter. we saw the door knob moving one evening while watching tv, knew we (family) were all accounted for, so i beat a hasty approach to the front door with 1911 drawn and concealed behind my leg.
made eye contact through the door with young white male who beat his own hasty retreat across the neighboring cornfield. called LE and stayed in the house with the family after checking/securing all doors which fortunately were already locked and awaited LE arrival.
we live in a rural area but obviously not immune to criminal activity of sorts.

not a street confrontation like the stereotype incident, but for me it got my heart pumping that evening.

thats my only "draw" story.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think all of us have been in a situation where we felt a sense of comfort by knowing what was hidden on our person. but fortunetly not many have had to draw. out of 78 views only one close call. seems bad things mostly happen to those who are not aware and/or prepared. twice in my life i have had guns pointed at me by bg's. once for no apparent reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time. the incident only lasted about 30 secs before a car came along and the bg ran away. the other i was with a friend and a guy that was mad about my friend dateing his ex pointed a snubby at us. (at the time of both of these scary times i was under age so needless to say no firearm) at the time we were about 15 feet away with nowhere to hide. after a few moments of trying to talk our way out. i relized the only way to get out was to force my buddy to create a ditraction without either of them catching it. one shot hit the grass, i got the gun and bg ran. incedent over other than the police report of course. next time i will be ready to deal with the bg withthen seconds rather then minutes

·
Registered
336 Posts
My incident happened quite a few years ago. Before Tx. Inacted CCW laws.I had been shooting in the afternoon with some friends and when we were through i placed the unloaded pistol in my car , on the passerger seat. As i made my way through town, a young man cut me off in traffic and actually forced me into the parking lot of our local grocery store. He stopped his car about 10-15 ft away from me and got out , came running over to where i was , still seated in my car trying to figure out what was going on. Anyway this young fellow had a chipping hammer in his hand and was trying to get me out of my car. I knocked him back and down with my car door .As he was getting back to his feet. I pointed my pistol at him, still unloaded, and told him if he did'nt stop i would shoot him. This was the only time he stopped cussing at me. He backed up, got back in his car and left. I took down his licence plate and reported the incident to the police. I got quite the tounge lashing from the police , Like this was my fault, and to this day i still don't know why that man did what he did. I don't carry unloaded anymore. Always some spare ammo in the glove box. Just grateful he did'nt call my bluff. I would have preferred to drive away, but i could'nt the way our cars were stopped.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Using weapon

About 25years ago my future wife and I decided to go hiking in the mountians near Tucson with her room mate and her boyfriend. Although she HATED firearms I prevailed and took along my good old S&W M29 4" 44MAG in an SOB holster. WE had hiked in on the trail for an hour when we decided to rest in a small clearing just off the trail. The other guy and I decided to let the gals sit while we headed off up a wash to look around.

We heard son noise up the trail and the sound of low voices headed our way.. so Tim and I decided we should rejoin the gals. I saw the two rough-looking guys before they saw us.. but they had seen the girls and I didn't like the way they were looking at the situation...

As the two guys entered the clearing with the girls Tim and I approached from the side... it was then I could see that one of them was armed. When they saw Tim and me the guy that was armed got a cold look in his eye and he went to draw his weapon.. at which point I walked up to him and stuck the muzzle of my 44 (which I had very rapidly drawn from behind my back) in his face. His weapon had not even cleared his holster when I screamed FREEZE!:argue:

The guy froze... but he looked back at me with an intense anger.. and no hint of any fear. I wish I could have said the same....

I very softly said that if he so much as moved I would blow his head off. :nono: He probably could see the heads of 180gr super Vels the gun was loaded with...

I directed him to slowly toss the weapon into the brush which he did... never breaking eye contact. I told him to get on the trail with his buddy and RUN.. and that if I saw him again I would kill them both.
I was VERY scared... and he was lucky because my 29 had a 2.5 pound trigger.

As they ran off he yelled back that he was going to kill us all. I fired a round off over their heads. ( don't know how many of you remember how hot the 180gr SuperVel loads were... but it was a real blast from 4 inch barrel)

We headed out of the mountians at full speed and never looked back.

We reported the incident when we got back into the city.

My gal never again complained about me packing again... in fact when we went on a hike.. she would request it.

I am glad I didn't have to kill anyone that day... I am sure that he we not been armed we aourselves might have become victims.

All that being said... I think that at some point we can become too paranoid. In 45 years that is the only time I am sure that having a weapon saved my life... and I was in the middle of nowhere.:tumbleweed:

I grew up in Tucson where open carry was no big deal. I would wait for the school bus with rifle in one hand and ammo in the other.

I read about guys wanting to carry at school, church, everywhere. I guess I still think that if your not in a job that requires it.. or you don't live in an area that demands it, constant CCW is just a bit sad.

I now live in CA where there really is NO CCW. I admit that I would like to be able to carry when I fell it prudent... on the road trips, on the road at night. I do so.. you know... rather be judged by twelve than carried by 6... but if it got to the point that I felt I always had to be armed...

I think that CCW's are a great idea as they rquire applicants to get supervised training in weaponscraft... a great idea. I can't tell you how many gun owners I have met that have no business with a weapon as they have no idea about weapon safety.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a shotgun pointed at me in a convenience store holdup once. I was too young (14 Years of age) for legal weapon carry at the time. That's a moment I will not forget.

About four years ago I had arrived at work at the edge of downtown Tampa. It was still dark and the parking lot was empty. I stopped the truck, scanned the lot and got out. A man I would describe as homeless,tattered and bearded stepped from the bushes at the edge of the lot about 60 feet away from me. In his right hand a machete at his side. He took two steps toward me and stopped and smiled. I turned to face him. We stood without words for at least twenty seconds. He turned and walked away. I got back in the truck and went for breakfast. I called and reported what had happed to the Police. Never saw the tattered man again.

I've been carrying for seven years. Never had to present.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I guess I still think that if your not in a job that requires it.. or you don't live in an area that demands it, constant CCW is just a bit sad.
hassiman, I confess to being a ''bit sad" :wink: I am working from home most of time, not a bad area but - simple fact is I want the piece to always be in the one place at all times - no need to have to remember to put it on if I go out - no need to worry that it won't be there on that million to one chance day it really is needed.

Quite simply it is an ''all or nothing'' approach I make, that is all. Not paranoia, just a resolve because I have no way of knowing what is in my future. Using the much used analogy - I see no reason to leave my truck spare wheel at home one day, because it seems like a day I won't get a flat! :smilez:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Not trying to steal the tread, but...

P95Carry said:
hassiman, I confess to being a ''bit sad" :wink: I am working from home most of time, not a bad area but - simple fact is I want the piece to always be in the one place at all times - no need to have to remember to put it on if I go out - no need to worry that it won't be there on that million to one chance day it really is needed.

Quite simply it is an ''all or nothing'' approach I make, that is all. Not paranoia, just a resolve because I have no way of knowing what is in my future. Using the much used analogy - I see no reason to leave my truck spare wheel at home one day, because it seems like a day I won't get a flat! :smilez:
Like P95 I too carry always. I feel you never know where you might end up each day so what is the harm in being prepared for the worst? So far I have not had to draw, or even display my gun, but I have reached for it on occasion.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
I've had a couple of incidents that I previously posted...One with rounds being fired. I may add, JUSTIFICATION is a key factor in all confrotations.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Chris,

Permission to use that analogy some time? That pretty much sums it up.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
WJP - feel free! :smilez:

·
Super Moderator
13,097 Posts
I guess I still think that if your not in a job that requires it.. or you don't live in an area that demands it, constant CCW is just a bit sad.
Sad?? I think it's one of the greatest things I do!

If you don't carry always, then you are trying to predict when you will need a gun and when you won't. I remember the it-could-never-happen-here incident where a teacher and his wife were killed by two teens with a knife. The community was shocked! Later it was discovered that they went to another house first with the intent to rob and kill them, but they saw the guy was wearing a gun and they left.

I just recently read about random serial killings in another peaceful it-could-never-happen-here little neighborhood.

The fact is, we don't know when we may face a random act of violence in our home or away from home.

Getting back to the topic, I drew my gun "with intent" in my house just this week. I got home a bit early and laid down to take a short nap. I closed my bedroom door to cut out some light and dosed off. I was awakened by a noise which got me up, then came a bang on the bedroom door. I drew to low ready and watched the door open slowly. It was my wife; she got home early also and accidentally kicked the bedroom door making an awful racket.

A false alarm this time but I was very pleased that in a startle situation, I didn't at anytime point my gun at my "surprise" visitor or in any way endanger her.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Never had to and hope I never do. But I am certainly prepared to if neccesary.

·
Registered
74 Posts
my story

i was coming home from my bowling night years ago when i bowled. A truck was at the light to the right of my truck. It just didn't feel right. I quick glance to the driver and passenger told me what I needed to do.

We both started from the light at the same time. I kept the truck under the speed limit so the traffic behind me was up on my bumper. At the last second I turned left into my apartment complex and quickly headed to my place. Dumb dumb had to continue straight due to traffic, position, and whatever else bought me some time.

I had a Colt 25acp at the time. My apartment had been rifled earlier that month by crooks so my 38spl was gone. Needless to say, I was unnerved. I heard an engine outside and peered out the door. Now I'm the dummy. There were the fellas, inviting me over to "talk with them". I called the police, told them a truck with two guys followed me home and are right outside the parking lot, my place had been hit earlier, I was scared and I had a gun.

Three units were there in under 2 minutes and had the fellas out for a "talk". They told me they could not do anything because it was my word against theirs. "Who is at who's place?"

I didn't have to pull a gun though it was on me. No shooting, thank God. Fast police response, thank you Irving PD.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'd say its kind of "sad" every time I read about someone who could have protected themselves but died, because they felt they shouldn't have to.

I would be sooooo nice if no one had to use force to protect themselves from others who would do them harm. :rolleyes:
But for now, I have to live in the Real World.

I didn't make it, I just have to live in it. :22a:

mm

·
Registered
932 Posts
Once, many years ago, I was driving from New Orleans to Philadelphia pulling a small trailer. I had to detour off the interstate due to construction near Washington, DC and found myself lost in a "bad" part of town at night. While trying to find my way back to I-95, a car with several young men began to follow me. They soon went from following me to honking their horn and trying to wave me over to the side of the road. When I didn't stop, they pulled next to me at a stop light and started yelling out their car window for me to pull over... or else. I had my nickel, Combat Commander with me at the time. One of the young men (probably teens or maybe early 20's. I was about 30) opened the car door and two of them got out. When they did, I pulled the Colt from under the front seat and had just raised it to chest level when one of the kids saw my gun, grabbed his friend and jumped in their car, which a few seconds later quickly sped off. I never saw them again.

There have been one or two other incidents over the years where I wished I did have a weapon, but didn't. I was once jumped at a car wash by two kids of about high school/college age who, I can only assume, wanted to either rob me or steal my car. I was able to defend myself and they had no weapons other than a pool cue and a tire iron which I - luckily - was able to take away and use to help fight off my attackers. If I'd had a gun with me at the time, they may have found themselves shot, so I guess it turned out well for everyone involved, all things considered. BTW, that was in 1985 and I STILL have that car, an '85 Daytona Turbo Z.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=594&d=1125210958

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've only been carying for less than a year, so the answer is easy, No.
I hope I never have to either.

Anyway, I'd rather have and not need, than need and not have.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
" I read about guys wanting to carry at school, church, everywhere. I guess I still think that if your not in a job that requires it.. or you don't live in an area that demands it, constant CCW is just a bit sad.

I now live in CA where there really is NO CCW. I admit that I would like to be able to carry when I fell it prudent... on the road trips, on the road at night. I do so.. you know... rather be judged by twelve than carried by 6... but if it got to the point that I felt I always had to be armed..."
Proves my theory: sheep are sheep , even when they have guns. :frown:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts