Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I had to look for one over-riding principle in the area of self-defense, the martial way, and analyzing tactical situations it's trying to acquire 'The Edge'.

The edge can be technical, mental, attitudinal, craftiness, relaxation, awareness, tactical, and any of a number of areas.

We only need a slight edge to prevail (i.e. not get killed) in any defensive situation. It's better to have a slight edge and survive than to shoot for a narrow range of high superiority advantages.

One should constantly be looking for ways to acquire an edge that will allow them to prevail in the largest number of situation. It might be avoidance. It might be forward pressure. It might be mobility. It might be working with a partner.

The edge must be practical, easy to deploy, always with you, uncomplicated, efficient, and usually non-attribute based. (By non-attribute based, I mean something even a tactically minded small female can use effectively).

I'll post more on this idea later, but I'd love for people to chime in with discussion, dissent, or whatever.

·
Registered
14,417 Posts
I always seek to have an advantage in any encounter. It may be use of cover, it may be aggressive action and it may be having the great big 44.:brutal19:

·
8,501 Posts
The edge is dynamic. It would change with each encounter and each opponent. To survive we will all need to be well rounded and fluid.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Know what's going on around you. Without that, other edges you may have acquired may never get the chance to present itself.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Know what's going on around you. Without that, other edges you may have acquired may never get the chance to present itself.
This. If you are caught flat-footed, training and resource advantages are likely irrelevant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts