Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was trying to find a nice photo for the CombatCarry Photo Archives (on the web) of the RARE left handed version of the Randall .45 ~ Not too many were ever made.
Maybe NOW with CNC machining making it easy to "compu~change" the auto machining sequence...some modern gun maker will produce yet another TRUE "mirror image" of the Colt 1911 pistol.
The Randall was a fairly high quality nicely machined "carbon copy" of the Colt. There were sporadic reports of Randall slides cracking but (I think) they turned out to be mostly bogus...with only a few early production Right Handed pistols getting a hairline slide crack. :confused:

I DID actually find a "like new" LEFT HAND RANDALL for sale on GunsAmerica BUT, sadly...No Photo for me to borrow
The asking price was Fifteen Hundred Clams. :kzb:
I was thinking that IFFEN I were a SOUTHPAW & I truly loved the Colt .45 Semi~Automatic pistol I sure WOULD "plunk down" that kinda money for a "Flipped .45" with the Ejection Port & The Ejector & The Extractor & The Magazine Release & Thumb Safety...all factory original and "reverse machined" & tailored perfectly for a Lefty!
Your thoughts on the Left Handed Randall are always welcome.

By The Way...For You Southpaw Shooters Out There...If the Nuns would have cracked your left hand hard with a wooden yardstick in school (every time you woulda tried ta use it or write with it) when you were "little" ~ You would have grown up "normal" like the rest of us...using the "correct" RIGHT hand. :hand5:

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
Actually, I am not sure buying a left handed (mirror of the original design) 1911 would be a good idea if you consider the difficulty in getting spare parts, people that would work on them, etc. I think many left handers (I'm not one) learn to shoot right handed rather than actually shooting left handed. I may be wrong.... :wink:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
i woulkdnt plunk down that kind of cash just for a 1 off type deal ... im a lefty but std 1911 works fine for me with the exception of the thumb safety

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bud

I was trying to imagine shooting .45 left handed all the time & not just for weak side practice.
I really give you lefty shooters lots of credit for feeling comfortable with it.
Are you Left Eye or Right Eye Dominant? Just curious.

Bumper...Oh Gosh Dernit...I plumb forgot about those spare parts.
That sure could be an interesting & complicated problem locating "Lefty Parts" for a scarce broken Randall SouthPaw .45 :puzzled:

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
It still might be a good buy for a collection. How many of those things were made?

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Copy & Paste Of The Auction Text

"Randall Left Hand B-131 45, one of 225,adjustable sights.this gun is in exc. cond. I have only fired about 75 rounds thru it, it is all original, has checkered walnut grips. ~ no extra mags or box or paper work.
If buyer is from Ca. private party transfer is possible thru my local dealer. $1500.00"

DAMN Bumper!.....Guess what I just realized reading this auction text???
No Extra Mags !!!

The magazine catch slot would need to be...you guessed it...on the other side.
So...the potential buyer will need to have his future spare/extra magazines custom machined.
Looks like you sure were 150% correct about spare parts...and SOONER...rather than later.
WHO COULD BUY a left handed pistol BACK WHEN THEY WERE BEING "SPECIAL MADE" & not buy LOTS of EXTRA magazines? That sure was dumb.
I would hafta buy the pistol & 20 extra magazines!

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Left eye dominate also write shoot do everything left handed allows me to squeeze in some places working on items the guys who are right hand dominate have problems with

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep...I guess

That's something I've never tried...cutting an exactly located slot in a magazine. I guess you could do it by drilling a few small holes...opening them up with a Dremel & a small burr & then using a small needle file to finish up & square the slot.

·
Registered
615 Posts
QKShooter said:
That's something I've never tried...cutting an exactly located slot in a magazine. I guess you could do it by drilling a few small holes...opening them up with a Dremel & a small burr & then using a small needle file to finish up & square the slot.
Had to look at my Wilson mags first....but looking at it, I'd say, first you'd have to buy high capacity mag and cut it to length (the slot on left top is about 1/2 inch deep from the top)....then clamp the cut mag to another std mag such that the slot is pressed against the cut mag....mark the profile, then start cutting, drilling and filing.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
wouldn't the follower have to be a mirror image as well???

~A

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doggonit

You guys are on the ball!
Nothing slipping by these forum members! :biggrin:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I've never had a problem shooting a 1911 left handed provided (a) it didn't have a beavertail (which renders the safety unusable for me) (b) didn't have one of those pesky tuned extractors that threw them right into my nose.

I do shoot an awful lot of pistols right handed though - it's weak side practice and lets me reveal that I'm actually left handed (which is something I don't mention much as it makes people feel real bad about their abilities if I can beat 'em right handed). ;0

Left handed guns etc are a solution in search of a problem. When push comes to shove, there's always something different about a gun for each shooter, from grip to god knows what else, and choices have to be made.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got one

This is my 1st post here, but I found this thread while using Google-fu for Randall pistols. I love this weapon. I bought it new in 1985 and have shot some of the collectors value out of it ever since. This gun is a dream for me as a lefty. Now, every other pistol I've shot, trained with and/or carried has either been right handed or somewhat ambi and I've managed well enough via extensive training. But nothing as felt as natural in my left hand as my Randall B111. It took me six years to find two more mags for it. One annoying habit is that every now and then the brass ejects straight into my forehead right between my eyes. Is that an ammo or a recoil spring issue? This happens with a variety of factory ammo.

Yes I know this thread is ancient, but resurrection is at least 2000 years old.

Edit: the magazines are unique. Back in the '80s my Infantry armorer tried cutting mag catch notches in the other side of Army issue 1911 mags. But the lefty Randall mags have opposite followers and lips.

Attachments

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is that an ammo or a recoil spring issue?

The two ways to remedy that would be either a slight modification to the extractor or the ejector.

Wow...this thread dates to 2005. I have not seen this one for a while. :biggrin2:

Thanks for posting that photo. :usflag:

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just spotted a vintage Randall Leftie with 2 Magazines & an original box on Gunbroker for $3,750.00. That is actually NOT a bad price for a Randall Leftie. It is a very scarce handgun. Interesting that the asking price for one in 2005 was $1,500.00 - quite an appreciation in value or a hefty devaluation of our paper money...or both.

Randall 1911 Left Handed B111 (Mass. Compliant) : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

This is one of the rarest pistols to own in the 1911 family - a left-handed Randall. There were less than 300 of these ever made. This is a 45 cal pistol and it is in pristine condition and includes the box and factory mags. It is Massachusetts compliant. I have never shot the pistol. I also have this for sale at a local gun shop. Should it sell there first, this auction will end. I will only ship to an FFL.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I'm left handed & I think a lefty 1911 would be hard for me to get used to. I carry 1911s exclusively in the cooler months & my only complaint is the ambi-safety. I have broken a couple over the years.....

As to ejection port, extractor ...etc... Being reversed, I don't see any advantage. I use my trigger finger for the mag release & having to relearn would not be fun.

Parts as mentioned would not make it worthwhile for me either. with the way guns parts are lately, coming by spares would be tough.

I don't even care for the left handed ARs.....I've learned to adapt. The only left handed guns I use are bolt guns for hunting. I use right handed bolt guns for target shooting, so I don't have to come off the gun to work the bolt. In the field I use the lefty bolts for off hand shooting.

I even prefer right handed shotguns (pumps & autos), they are easier to reload & check the chambers. I have even seen some three guns guys who are right handed using left-handed shotguns.

If somebody made a GREAT ambi safety for the 1911........that's all I would need.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts