7. right handed/right master eye [ unstable ]
8. left handed-50/50 vision
9. left hand/right master eye
10.left handed/left dominant eye
11.left hand/right dominant eye
12.right handed/left master eye [ unstable ]
13.double cross dominant
14.parallel dominant

Did you know that one with a right master eye, for instance, was discovered to comprise 60% of ones total vision, the non master eye controlling 40% of the total view?

Do people know the difference between a master eye and a dominant eye? I bet few do, who haven't researched it andeven fewer could give two craps about it. But as the eyes play a significant role in shooting, wouldn't it behoove the shooter to understand where they place relative eye dominance/master eye?

I'm left hand with a slight left dominance, so slight in fact, that some have mistaken it for parallel dominance. I shoot right handed with that same slight left eye dominance just off center line. Understanding how the eyes view the world and work when aligning sights etc would be something everyone should understand if they shoot, IMO, because as an instructor, I've seen a LOT of people have vision issues when trying to shoot both eyes open and Jim's findings and documentation has helped remedial the student having issues with seeing double guns, or double targets etc.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I am #3. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn until an instructor showed me how to use my dominant eye.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
This is interesting. I wasn't aware of the term master eye. I thought of my right eye as the dominant eye, until reading this. Now I need to figure out if it's dominant or master.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I have this problem solved, its so easy. I only have one eye. So, Number 1 for me...:tongue:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
My daughter is right hand, left eye dominant. Even though she still shoots with left eye closed, I bought her a sight blinder to block the front bead from view if her left eye is open. Bought one for myself and started shooting both eyes open. I'm right hand, right eye dominant but still get a slight double bead on the shotgun. So probably have a bit of my left eye trying to do the work. When the left eye can't see the bead, the right eye does all the work.

Pistols are not a problem shooting both eyes open. Might have something to do with sight radius. Or more likely it's not an issue because the pistol is more centered in my vision than the shotgun.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I'm #10 but closer to #14. No problems shooting both eyes open, either hand.
Out to about 15 yards that is. Greater than 15 yards (more time available) I'll
use left eye and sights.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I am #3. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn until an instructor showed me how to use my dominant eye.
I would like to hear more about that. I'm #3, also. The only way I can hit anything is to close my left eye when I shoot. If there's a better way I would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'm confused.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Super Moderator
18,006 Posts
I am number 9 and I shoot right handed. I learned about eye dominance from my eye doctor when she diagnosed me with cataracts in my left eye, I had not noticed any change in my vision until she blocked my right eye and had me read the chart with my left. it was blurry and almost unreadable but with both eyes open I could read it.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok were's the link to find out what ALL that means? Or do I have to stop at my EYE DOCTOR'S?!!!!!!!!!!
There is no link, it's from the authors observations written into his book which I listed in the OP. It's not off the net, it's in hard copy.

Here's some reading for you, perhaps it will explain what you're asking for

http://www.positiveshooting.com/eyedominancemain.html

http://www.guns.com/2013/09/25/dealing-cross-dominance/

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2016/3/7/expert-forum-eye-dominance/

https://chrissajnog.com/eye-dominance-both-eyes-open/

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is interesting. I wasn't aware of the term master eye. I thought of my right eye as the dominant eye, until reading this. Now I need to figure out if it's dominant or master.
It still surprises me when I have students who've shot for some length of time that don't know which eye is their dominant eye or if they have a master eye.

There's just so much that can physiologically affect how we engage/shoot a handgun/long gun and few understand how their eyes actually see the world, or how proprioceptive training or lack thereof affects how we gain autopilot control of tools we use.

I get students telling me they have to shoot one eyed as they see double gun/double targets etc when trying to use both eyes open, and have never bothered to research or ask their eye doctor about the condition. Instead just muddle through their life shooting improperly and not adjusting their world based on knowledge of how to correct such issues when found to be present.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I am right handed and left eye dominant; consequently, I shoot a handgun right handed but a rifle or shotgun left handed. Been shooting this way for over 50 years.

Reactions: BSides01

·
Registered
484 Posts
When you shoot a pistol with both eyes open it will automatically line up with your dominant or master eye. When I close my left eye I can see the pistol angled to be lined up with my left eye despite being right handed. I never heard of master eye until just now. I'm right handed so when I use a rifle I have to close my left eye. If I hold it up to my left eye I can keep both eyes open so I just close my left eye. I know some people say to learn to use your opposite hand but I just plain don't want to and don't want to have to learn to shoot and relearn muscle memory.

I think part of my problem is there is a slight stigmatism left over in my right eye. I used to be legally blind in it but wore glasses religiously and it fixed itself. When I got my last eye exam 10 years ago I was 25/20 in my right eye while I was 20/20 in my left. 20/25 or 25/20 I can't remember what order it was in.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you shoot a pistol with both eyes open it will automatically line up with your dominant or master eye. When I close my left eye I can see the pistol angled to be lined up with my left eye despite being right handed. I never heard of master eye until just now. I'm right handed so when I use a rifle I have to close my left eye. If I hold it up to my left eye I can keep both eyes open so I just close my left eye. I know some people say to learn to use your opposite hand but I just plain don't want to and don't want to have to learn to shoot and relearn muscle memory.

I think part of my problem is there is a slight stigmatism left over in my right eye. I used to be legally blind in it but wore glasses religiously and it fixed itself. When I got my last eye exam 10 years ago I was 25/20 in my right eye while I was 20/20 in my left. 20/25 or 25/20 I can't remember what order it was in.
10 years, aren't you do for another one, like 8 years ago?

When you shoot a pistol with both eyes open it will automatically line up with your dominant or master eye.

Holding the gun on the nose centerline one or two handed, the gun between both eyes, the dominant eye takes control and the image you see on the threat is the dominant eye's image, FOR THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Timely post Brownie, thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,119 Posts
Having been preached to ad nauseum that I needed to shoot with both eyes open, a couple years ago I worked really long and hard at doing that for a few months. I wound up with massive headaches and STILL couldn't get the two guns/two targets out of my eyes/brain view.

Decided I'm too doggone old to suffer like this when I've always been an accurate one-eyed shooter. Even now, with having to shoot left handed with my dominant right eye (left eye closes automatically) I'm still accurate if and when I remember to cant the gun just slightly when shooting using both hands - like a lot of people do when shooting one handed.

Mostly I see with my right eye - I guess that means it is my master eye? My brain pretty much blocks out the more blurry picture from my left eye which even with corrective lenses still has some astigmatism that is beyond correcting. But, yes, I do see a little more clearly - sometimes - with both eyes open. Unless I am shooting!

I do not shoot long guns. Never could focus on two sights that were that far apart, even when my eyes were young.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am right handed but legally blind in my right eye,since birth,so I shoot hand guns right handed ,but rifles and shotguns left handed.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
There is no link, it's from the authors observations written into his book which I listed in the OP. It's not off the net, it's in hard copy.

Here's some reading for you, perhaps it will explain what you're asking for

http://www.guns.com/2013/09/25/dealing-cross-dominance/
I'm a lefty and my left eye is the dominant one. I actually do everything lefty with the small exception of kicking. I do that with my right leg, When it comes to shooting I have no issues because my left hand and my left eye are the dominant ones. Per this article: "If your dominant hand and your dominant eye match, you’ve got no worries in the shooting department."

:vs_cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts