Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watching the history channel and an army sniper said that in Iraq with a .50 sniper rifle a canadian sniper just set the new world record for engaging a target at 2640 yards. That's about 2240 yards more than I would EVER shoot with a rifle. Just thought that was pretty impressive.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Uh, Canada does not have forces in Iraq.

Afghanistan, yes. Iraq, no.

Matt

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
Canadian Sniper

The Canadian Army Sniper stayed in Canada...the target he hit was in Iraq. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
I think the shot was during the 1st Desert Storm war. Given a .50 cal sniper rifle I would try the shot. 600 + grn bullet doesn't get affected by wind nearly as much as a lighter bullet. Of course I used to shoot competition service rifle at 600 yrds with iron sights too.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Matt is right, the Canadian who took the record was in Afghanistan.

My longest shot ever was on a groundhog at 643 yards, using a .22-250. My longest on a buck was 186 yards, using a 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser. With a handgun, I shot a squirrel at 126yards, using a Contender with a .17HMR barrel.

Im guessing your talking about human size, when you ask how far would I shoot? It really depends on a lot of factors like wind, light, elevation, cartridge&rifle, other equipment. You are talking about rifles...right? With what I have, and the fact that I haven't fired a rifle in a year. I would guess 500-800 yards if someone was kind enough to lemme borrow a rangefinder.(mind you I dont want to guess, seeing I haven't fired a rifle in a year)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My apologies, it must have been Afghanistan. I didn't really have any point I was getting at or question I was posing, just sort of marveling at how far marksmanship and the art of shooting has come that some one can shoot a target 2600 yards away.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Wow!!! Dont try to pull the wool over any of these guys eyes, or they will drag you through the gutter :chairshot

:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Depends on the gun I'm shooting and the target I want to hit.
The Brithish I belive held the old record, again it was a .50 it was around a mile, and it was a 2 fer through a block wall they were using thermal and the shooter waited for hours for the shot to be set up

·
Administrator
143,825 Posts
2600 yards is a HEALTHY ways away!
That is pretty doggone amazing.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Thats roughly 7800 feet, there is only 5,280 feet in a mile. I usualy say if I can see it I can hit it, but 2600 yards is just a crazy long shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts