1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
44,709 Posts
That was often a question on the Air Force promotion test.

·
Super Moderator
19,171 Posts
Phosphorus is some nasty stuff and very hard to extinguish. When I first started reading I thought it was John Levitow who also threw a burning flare out but in his case it was an AC-47.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I learned about this man and his incredible feat years ago. Not many would have had the balls to do what he did.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Not having a self is a virtue. I'll have to remember that. If you don't have a self, what exactly do you have?

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
I know what the definition is. You value your own importance as less that that of others. I reject it as a virtue.
Ever think that the person who did the act didn't think of themselves as less? Could it be that they simply valued those around them as being worth as much as themselves by virtue of having earned that love and respect? That's not selflessness, that's something different, that's integrity.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks for that story. Everyone should know his sacrifice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phosphorus is some nasty stuff and very hard to extinguish. When I first started reading I thought it was John Levitow who also threw a burning flare out but in his case it was an AC-47.
I didn't know about that man. Thank you or posting it. SatCong.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I’m going to ask a dumb question, why can’t every man be that brave? America is full of trashy men now.
Most of them are cowards or thugs. Guys like the airman show the way, but no one follows.

·
Registered
44,709 Posts
I’m going to ask a dumb question, why can’t every man be that brave? America is full of trashy men now.
Most of them are cowards or thugs. Guys like the airman show the way, but no one follows.
Because we don't have B-29s anymore?

Reactions: MisterMills357

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Exactly...and how can we love our neighbors as ourselves? We must first understand what our value is...then treat others the same way we would want to be treated. Read it in a Book. I believe it.
Treat others as you think that you should treat them. If they rate your love, then you do what you must to keep them around. Because there just aren't that many that do rate that. At least these days
And if doing so cost you your own life or limbs, then at least you know that it was worth it. Because you wouldn't be able to live with yourself if you stood by and did nothing.
But this sort of love and respect can only be earned.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
That's a lot different than what I believe. I didn't rate His love either...by a long shot...I think I'll stick to trying it His way...not easy to do sometimes...oftentimes!

One thing He said that I'm sure we can completely agree on: Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. That's exactly what our hero did here...and it deserved more honor than it got. The greatest honor that can be shown a hero is to go to the same lengths, if necessary, to support and preserve what they gave for. Americans as a whole today should be ashamed to look our grandfathers, uncles, brothers in the eye, to see what we've allowed to happen to the America they gave so much to preserve for us...our children, our grandchildren.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
That's a lot different than what I believe. I didn't rate His love either...by a long shot...I think I'll stick to trying it His way...not easy to do sometimes...oftentimes!

One thing He said that I'm sure we can completely agree on: Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. That's exactly what our hero did here...and it deserved more honor than it got. The greatest honor that can be shown a hero is to go to the same lengths, if necessary, to support and preserve what they gave for. Americans as a whole today should be ashamed to look our grandfathers, uncles, brothers in the eye, to see what we've allowed to happen to the America they gave so much to preserve for us...our children, our grandchildren.
We are essentially saying the same thing;
Except for the fact that I don't want to be loved unconditionally. By anyone.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
I believe it's more of a default setting...and they weren't trained by families how to be men/women of character, high standards, loyalty, etc. The death of the family is the death of the nation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts