Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to carrying concealed. How do you get past the feeling that everyone is looking at you and seeing your pistol? We now have open carry here in Texas,so it's not illegal to be seen, but I can't get past that feeling that everyone is seeing my concealed pistol. How do you get past that feeling?

·
Super Moderator
16,786 Posts
When I first started carrying it felt like I had a huge neon sign over my head flashing “I have a gun”. It did not take long before I realized that most people are so self absorbed in their own little world that unless something bumped then on the nose or knocked their phone out of their hands they had no clue as to what was going on around them.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the more important question is do you feel you are doing something wrong by carrying a pistol? I ask this because without the feeling of doing something wrong there wouldn't be a subconscious feeling of being looked at. I think you have to remind yourself there is nothing wrong with carrying a gun and it doesn't matter if your noticed by another person. It similar to people that try to smuggle drugs through airports and get all flustered and get caught by security. Now if someone didn't have anything to worry about then they would care less if sucurity was looking at them. Sorry it's the only example I can think of.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I have been carrying since Feb. 2014 and it took me only a few days to not think everyone was looking at me. As many others have said, people are so pre-occupied with looking elsewhere instead of looking at you. As an example when I walk down the street or in a store, etc. I have good SA but I am not looking at everyone to see if I can tell if they have a gun or not.

Just remember don't touch or adjust your holster, belt, shirt, etc. when carrying. If you need to move or adjust something do it in private. Many new carriers call attention to themselves because they have a tendency to do what I said not to do.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have been carrying a gun for 38yrs...best I can remember, I really never had that feeling. But, times were certainly different then...not as many gun people around then and conversely, guns did not have the stigma attached to them, that they have now. As others have said, this feeling will pass quickly.

Be armed and be safe.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I am lucky in that I started carrying "semi-concealed in AZ in the early 80's.
This was before they enacted Constitutional carry.
At that time, as long as any part of the gun or holster was visible, it was legal.
I carried a snub revolver, cross-draw. I rode a motorcycle all the time (still do) so my jacket covered all but an inch of the tip of the holster. If anyone saw it when the jacket was open they never indicated that anything was wrong.
So I stared off "printing". Since I've started carrying again, it's no big deal. If someone sees anything, I'm legal. I have a permit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,073 Posts
I felt the same way when I first started EDC'ing a couple of years ago. I think it's all about finding a carry mode and clothing you feel comfortable with and eventually you'll get used to it. One common piece of advice is carry at home for a while. It gets you used to carrying and not worrying about it and you can check yourself out in the mirror occasionally to see what others see.

I pocket carry an LCR snubby. I have never had anyone notice it and although I know it's there, I don't notice it either. There is a bulge in my pocket (see post #2 for the obligatory joke), but visually it could just as easily be a fat wallet. If I am carrying anything larger, which is rare, I will just open carry my 1911 with my snubby as a backup. It's funny, I haven't had anyone notice that I'm open carrying either, or if they did, they didn't react.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Are you aware of your own body language? That is what people home in on first...

·
Banned
3,343 Posts
Welcome to DCDC.

Uh never felt that way. Don't feel guilty, or try to assuage your guilt. You are one of the GoodGuys, an LAC (Law-Abiding Citizen). :wink:

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
It passes in time , just dress around your carry Don't constantly tug at shirt. I have been carrying a Glock G17 (AIWB) for just over a year (Switched from G19) I am not a small person (5'6" @ 255#) No one ever notices.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I'm new to carrying concealed. How do you get past the feeling that everyone is looking at you and seeing your pistol? We now have open carry here in Texas,so it's not illegal to be seen, but I can't get past that feeling that everyone is seeing my concealed pistol. How do you get past that feeling?
I felt that way too. Truth is the only ones who notice are others who CC. Everyone else is oblivious. I've even exchanged hugs at church and they will put their hand right on it and not notice.

Best way to get over it is to keep carrying. Pretty soon you'll feel naked without it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went thru the same thing when I first started carrying. I now realize that I'm just not that important to other people. The vast vast majority of people you'll see in a days time are invested solely in themselves and what they're doing.

Dress to blend in, don't be obnoxious, carry how's most comfortable for you. Time and experience will do their job, and before long, I'd bet that feeling will pass for you as well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm picking up my license on Monday. My main concern is transitioning in and out of our cars particularly if I have to un-holster in the car. Since I don't garage our cars I can't experiment (legally) until I actual have the license. I'm pretty confident with my Stealthgear IWB holster I'll be good to go.

I did recently spot someone carrying in a mall, obviously a large double-stack gun, but I don't believe a "non-gun" person would have noticed.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Time....people are more concerned about there phone and Pokémon to worries about what some other people are doing or look like...give it time and don't play with it
Well said, short and sweet! I also agree with carrying at home to get used to it. Like someone posted above, I know it is there, but my choice of carry is comfy for me. The only time I notice is when I don't have it on. A very rare occurrence!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It just takes a little time to get over. I was kind of nervous during my first outing, and then I realized that I could have walked through that store in my underwear with my pistol strapped to my forehead and nobody would have noticed! Everyone is in their own little world. I still check before I go out to make sure that I'm not printing, and am careful to keep my arm between my pistol and the other person if I'm in a crowded area where I could accidentally get brushed up against, but those are things that you just learn as you go. Congrats on getting the license!

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Unless you are wearing tights or such they are not looking at your gun. Dont keep touching or pulling at it and guarantee they dont notice. I carry constantly and preach at Church and only a few know I carry and no one notices.

Reactions: blackhawkfann24
1 - 20 of 61 Posts