Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well thanks to our pro gun reps Rand and McConnell began the filibuster and the 60 votes to stop it suddenly materialised this morning to end it. The bill that a lot here seems to think is really nothing includes a lot of things none of us apparently knew. Its a disaster.
I just spoke to Rand and McConnell.

Thank you very much Toomey Manchin McCain and the NRA. We have just been blindsided again.

Check GOA site for what is actually in this stupid bill and it is open for any amendments that anyone wants to try to attach to it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
16 Republicans voted with the Democrats

(Copied from elsewhere)
Kelly Ayotte (N.H.)
Richard Burr (N.C.)
Saxby Chambliss (Ga.)
Tom Coburn (Okla.)
Susan Collins (Maine)
Bob Corker (Tenn.)
Jeff Flake (Ariz.)
Lindsey Graham (S.C.)
Dean Heller (Nev.)
John Hoeven (N.D.)
Johnny Isakson (Ga.)
Mark Kirk (Ill.),
John McCain (Ariz.)
Pat Toomey (Pa.)
Roger Wicker (Miss.)
Lamar Alexander (Tenn.)

NRA's rating of those...
Lamar Alexander (Tenn.) – NRA A rated
Kelly Ayotte (N.H.) – NRA A rated
Richard Burr (N.C.) – NRA A rated
Saxby Chambliss (Ga.) – NRA A rated
Tom Coburn (Okla.) – NRA A rated
Susan Collins (Maine) – NRA B+ rated
Bob Corker (Tenn.) – NRA A rated
Jeff Flake (Ariz.) – NRA A rated
Lindsey Graham (S.C.) – NRA A rated
Dean Heller (Nev.) – NRA A rated
John Hoeven (N.D.) – NRA A rated
Johnny Isakson (Ga.) – NRA A rated
Mark Kirk (Ill.) – NRA D rated
John McCain (Ariz.) – NRA B+ rated
Pat Toomey (Pa.) – NRA A rated
Roger Wicker (Miss.) – NRA A+ rated

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Well thanks to our pro gun reps Rand and McConnell began the filibuster and the 60 votes to stop it suddenly materialised this morning to end it. The bill that a lot here seems to think is really nothing includes a lot of things none of us apparently knew. Its a disaster.

Thank you very much Toomey Manchin McCain and the NRA. We have just been blindsided again.

Check GOA site for what is actually in this stupid bill and it is open for any amendments that anyone wants to try to attach to it.
I don't think you have it correct exactly what went down... but the 60 votes to move the bill forward were well known two days ago. And so a filibuster was never feasible. And this is not the bill that NRA is supporting either. And no one has ever SEEN the version supposedly agreed to in order to garner the 60 votes. Nor is there any way to know if it will even make it into the bill. I think it was certainly a mistake for them to agree to vote the bill forward under that circumstance. But its far from over.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Just goes to show you that the NRA does not really have much of a clue on how to rate these folks. At least at this point, however, they have only voted to discuss the issue, not enact anything. It does make you wonder what is up in AZ & TN however.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Saxby and Isakson have been pulling this garbage for a long time now. Saxby has been running anti-gun propaganda on cable network for at least a couple of months now. I suppose it was in anticipation of this legislation.

Reactions: Pistology

·
Registered
51 Posts
The last I heard Tuesday is the ones who agreed on the vote to let the bill get to the floor and not filibuster did so only if each measure were to be voted on separately. I think I like this for 3 reasons:

1) the only measures likely to pass are background checks at gun shows and criminalizing straw purchases (which is already illegal to sell a firearm to a person who can't legally own one). I'm on the fence about background checks at gun shows only because it opens a can of worms on all private transfers.

2) there can be serious debate on actually ENFORCING existing laws.

3) all the anti 2nd amendment measures in the bill will be voted on and won't pass; BUT we get to see where each and every representative stands on each and every measure because they'll be on record, and vote the Rhinos and so called "blue dogs" out of office. Mark Pryor and all the Dems from conservative states were praying for a filibuster so they wouldn't have to go on record as either A.) thumbing their nose at their constituents; or B.) thumbing their nose at their party.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just got off the phone with a staffer in Isaksons office. Apparently he is going to vote No when the actual bill comes up for debate. He wanted to allow debate on the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
....It does make you wonder what is up in AZ & TN however.
And GA. McCain is singing the old big-government-can't-live-without-it jingo under the guise of being the Great Compromiser. Give me a break. RINO Schmino. Yeah, Republicans are for big government show, too. :thumbsdown:
What I want to know is if discussing infringing on the right to keep and bear arms is not the time for a filibuster, when is?

·
Registered
344 Posts
With few exceptions, politicians are only worried three things, Money, Power, and Self. They are too busy playing politics to actually do the right thing. We need to elect better people. It is not a republican/democrat problem... it is a DC problem.

Besides, the word politics explains it all. Poli- meaning many and -tics meaning blood sucking creatures.

·
Registered
21,644 Posts
The bill coming up for a vote is not a bad thing. First it exposes who is really who, and most importantly it allows for anyone to amend the bill with other legislation, which makes it very, very difficult to get a consensus for either side, effectively forcing a " pigeon holed" or dead bill.

Back to Civics 101

Reactions: BugDude

·
Registered
21,644 Posts

You are only blindsided if you didn't understand what was going on.
First, they had 68 votes, which was enough to avoid a filibuster.

Secondly, it's a long way from over.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I've long said the Republicans and Democrats are one in the same animal. They only differ in why to steal our money and who to redistribute it to. The same can be said for firearms. The second you trust any one of them, you get shot in the back.

If your congress critter wears the Republican badge, it just means that you need to keep on them that much more. Call, write, email regularly and hold their butts to the fire come election time.

Reactions: zacii

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you haven't contacted your senators already by phone and email, you're behind the power curve. Don't do paper letters to DC - they get hung up in the security screening - if you want to do snail mail, write to their local in-state office.

I called this morning, then again after the vote for cloture. They've got plenty of staff doing nothing but marking hashmarks under "pro" or "con" on some scoresheet. Sen Ayotte's office answered on the first ring both times. Sen Shaheen is a lost cause - she's been salivating for the chance to grab guns since forever.

I'm hoping for good alternatives to run against both of them in the next primaries. Hell, I may even do it if I can find tall enough boots to keep the BS from flowing over the top of them.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.