Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always had air guns, but the first firearm I owned was an Ithaca Model 49 SS lever action. I bought it when I was in my teens in the 70's. I was quite good with that gun. I shot primers out of shotgun shells at 20 yards and would consistently take rabbits on the run, all with iron sights.

I traded for a Mossberg 410 bolt action for bird hunting. I don't like a lot of BBs in my birds. I bought that 49 for $29.95 and I see now on the used market they are selling for over $250.00! Whoda thunk.

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
My uncle presented me with a Winchester Model 37, 20 gauge modified choke, on my 13th birthday in 1962. It remains a prize possession.

·
Super Moderator
19,234 Posts
When I was 16 I bought a .410 bolt shotgun at an auction, (pre infringement of 1968) took many squirrels and rabbits with that little gun.

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
Good thread Newt2!

Was given a Savage Model 755A auto-loading 12 gauge shotgun by a relative when I was 12 or 13 so that would have been 1969-1970.

Bought a new Winchester Model 190 semi-autoatic .22 rifle in 1971.

Bought a Smith Corona 'O3A3 .30-06, a Krag Jorgensen .30-40 and a Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel .38 Special, all during the fall and Winter of 1975.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
22,456 Posts
I was sixteen in 1962 and I bought a select-grade Lee-Enfield British .303 rifle, some boxes of ammo and a cleaning kit from the Sears catalog. The total was around $39 including shipping. The mail man dropped the packages on our front porch.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Nickel Model 36. Bought it right after turning 21 when I got a plain clothes security job. Still have it.

I didn't really need any guns of my own as a teenager. My Dad had a big collection and I pretty much had the run of it.

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
Gen. 2 Glock 22, not long after my 21st birthday. Been cultivating skill ever since.

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
Dad bought my first .22 rifle used from a hardware store when I was twelve. Still have it.
Then he bought me an Ithaca single-shot shotgun. Still have it.
One Christmas he gave me a Win 1200 12 Ga pump. Still have it.

·
Registered
11,983 Posts
I bought a snub nose .38 when I was living in New Orleans back in 1981. It sat in a drawer most of the time because I knew nothing about technique or firearm safety. I sold it in 2009 when I started to take firearms training and bought my first Glock.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
At 12 or 13, was given a H&R 22 hammerless breaktop with a broken-off firing pin...on the grounds that I never took it to town and never put even an empty hull in it. Lived in my back jeans pocket for a couple years before I lost it...riding a bike. Broke my heart.
At 14, a 96-year-old left me a 1910 .32 Mauser and a Meriden 5-shot breaktop, .38 S&W...never fired either of them.

First handgun I bought was a 4" High Standard Sentinel Deluxe .22, and used that to teach myself to shoot. 1966, with my big paycheck working $1 per hour at the local hardware. $41.50...out the door.
First shotgun was a Stevens single shot 20 ga... second was a Stevens 311 12, third was a Winchester 1200 12 ga.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
First firearm I owned was when I was living in New Orleans also back in '84.
A S&W 586 6" with patridge sights.
Still have it, still shoot it, still an awesome gun.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The first handgun I ever owned was a Ruger P85 MKII. Matte black. Bought it for myself as a birthday present in my early 20's.

EDIT: I forgot. My first gun was a Chinese SKS. In my early 20's also. I bought it at a Woolworth's sporting goods section in the local mall. $79.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Ithaca 20 GA Single Shot Youth Model $29.95
High Standard Deluxe Sport King .22 LR Semiauto $34.99 at Kmart Urbana, Illinois
Ruger Single Six 22LR with 22WMR cylinder $69.95 at Lowry's Sport Shop Urbana, Illinois
Daisy Lever Action BB Gun $11.95
Benjamin .177 Pellet rifle.

These were the guns of my childhood......

Today I keep a loaded Remington 870 Tactical 12 GA, a Colt LE 6920 .223/5.56 and too many pistols to count. I no longer have any interest in killing anything that is not trying to kill me first. God help those that ARE trying to kill me now, because I used to shoot sparrows out of a tree at 75 yards with my Daisy iron sight BB gun. I only got better.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I was gifted a Ranger .22 LR single shot bolt action rifle by my father when I turned 11. It was gifted to him by his father when Dad turned 11. I still have it. The first gun I bought myself was a 1974 Colt Cobra. I still have it as well.
Water Liquid Nature Fluid Font

·
Registered
340 Posts
My first gun was a 12 gauge that I bought from my step father. I was fairly
unenthusiastic about guns until I was stationed in Alaska . In the year that I was there, I bought at least 3 guns: a .357 Mag, a .44 Mag and a .22 Mag.

The local bears scared me in a lot of ways, so I would wear the .357 or the .44 on nature walks.

·
Registered
Pistoleer
790 Posts
Picked up a 1911 as my first firearm in my early 20s but it was soon replaced by a Hi-Power which was then replaced with a Beretta 92FS which I found to be much better than both. After the Beretta I tried a Glock but sold it a few months later as there was a lot about it I did not like.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts