Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shooting a handgun

and she had a great time.
She has been wanting to shoot one of Mom's handguns, so we headed out to the local sportsman club for a family day.
180 rounds with Mom's Ruger MK III and she easily hit 85%+ of her targets. The first mag she hit 8 of 10 steel plates. I gave her the basics(beyond safety, which she already knows well) and just let her shoot. She did tend to get a little too much finger on the trigger, but she shot just great.
What a good kid, she even let Mom fire 60 rounds:smile:
She fired 5 or 6 rounds with Dad's Glock 19, but didn't care much for it, then 20 rounds through the AR-15, loved that one too. Next time we go I have orders to bring the Model 36, her favorite.
Given her choice I think she would have gone back to the range, instead of school today.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The family that shoots together, etc, etc.... :congrats:

I personally can not wait for the day when I get to take my little one out shooting with me. I know kids grow up quickly, but when it comes to something you really want to share with them that you have to wait on, it just doesn't seem fast enough.

Glad everyone had fun, and she enjoyed it! Hopefully you'll be able to make this into a regular family activity.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Great to see her interest in shooting when most kids today could give a flip.

Perfect timing snapping the shot with the gun in recoil and a little flame coming from the business end of the barrel.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Great job,I bought my daughter a 22 and 9mm for christmas,she loves her M&P9c,this christmas she gets some XS big dot night sights and her CHL course paid for

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Some of my (six) kids have an keen interest in shooting, while others are drawn more to other activities. The trick, as a parent, is to spend time with 'em. So I've learned, from handguns to kayaks to guitars to chess, they grow-up wayyy too fast to miss a single opportunity to enjoy their company before they're pulled into the interesting mix of their OWN lives. She'll remember you taking the time for her & smile. And you'll smile knowing it was as much for yourself...as for her. Bless their little hearts.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
It looks like you guys had a great time. I can't wait to do it with mine.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Bravo! Was pleased to see a family out at my local range too when I (finally) made it out there. I hope my daughter is as interested when she grows up.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Great day in SE Michigan!

Given her choice I think she would have gone back to the range, instead of school today.
Yeah, homeschool her, keep her safe and let her shoot!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How old is she? I've let my sons (10,13) shoot the MK III, but haven't let them shoot my glock 19.
Err, well, she's 12 going on 21:blink:
She has been shooting the AR-15 at an indoor range most of the summer, but no handgun shooting allowed for those under 21. We decided to take her to the outdoor range since she had been asking to go all summer. Unfortunately with Hunters Safety courses going on we only had 1.5 hours to shoot. She made the best of it, and had so much fun, I'm glad we finally decided to make the drive out there for her.
Watching her was almost as much fun as shooting. Her first magazine she was amazed at how little recoil the gun has, and really had a great time. She wasn't too crazy about the Glock, recoil wasn't as much of a problem for her as the muzzle flip was(she is her mother's daughter) and she didn't like the lightweight feel of the gun. Dad held her wrists for the first couple shots to let her get used to it, but she said it was too "flippy", and gladly went back to the Ruger.
We will definately be going back soon:yup:

·
Registered
823 Posts
I assume the AR was a 223 round. My son's have shot my savage 22LR, and a MK III. I can not afford an AR, but wish I could. Next time I take the older one I'll have to see how he does with my glock.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I assume the AR was a 223 round. My son's have shot my savage 22LR, and a MK III. I can not afford an AR, but wish I could. Next time I take the older one I'll have to see how he does with my glock.
.223 or 5.56 Stag Arms 2T with Eotech scope Harris bi-pod and a bunch of other cool things I know very little about, I'm a handgun girl, although I have fired it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just a guess here, but I am suspecting that if your daughter gets her hands on a 1911, nobody else will get to use it again. :biggrin2:

What a great way to spend the day!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bought both of my boys (14 & 15) Ruger 10-22's last spring, and they both have been shooting my handguns for almost 2 yrs now. They love my mini-14, and other longs, it was just starting to get kinda costly on our range days. The 22's are easier on the wallet. Nothing beats shooting as a family.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a guess here, but I am suspecting that if your daughter gets her hands on a 1911, nobody else will get to use it again. :biggrin2:

What a great way to spend the day!
Uhm ,so you're saying we shouldn't let her shoot the Kimbers?:wink:

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Taking you kids to the range is a fun day and helps add respect for firearms. It also helps reduce/eliminate that 'curiosity'.:yup:
Where in MI did you shoot?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Taking you kids to the range is a fun day and helps add respect for firearms. It also helps reduce/eliminate that 'curiosity'.:yup:
Where in MI did you shoot?
We shot at Huron Pointe Sportsmans Club in Lenox Township.
Off of 28 Mile Road, about 2 miles east of Gratiot, or just south of Richmond, MI. Are you familar with it?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Your a good mom Rugergirl, a lot of parents don't take the time to share there hobbies with their kids. Not only did you have a good time but you have helped teach her a fun sport and entered her in an American tradition. :hand10:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts