Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or at least my fishing thread for the time being.
Fishing goes hand in hand with hunting, so I'm posting this here.
If ya got any fish tales or a catch of the day, post it up! Pics welcome.

I'll start.
I decided to get into fly fishing. The rod and reel combo came in Monday or Tuesday, so armed with 30 some youtube videos in my noggin and 3-4 times practicing in the yard I hit up a little pond I go to. I had caught some bluegill there yesterday on a Tenkara outfit. And one bass I couldn't land. I was using a Killer Bug. A dark grub looking fy with a red head tied on a #12 hook. Pretty small.

So today around 9:00 AM I went and tried the same spot. Nothing. No nibbles or anything. Casting was going pretty good though, so I started flicking the fly into different spots further and further away. And Bam! My first fish on a fly rod.

You can just make out the fly in the other side of its mouth.

He went and told his buddies, so I switched to a popper and caught several more fish.

Plus more of the same.

All in all a pretty good first outing.

So lets see 'em.

What fish or gear did you get today?

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,813 Posts
My fishing is on charter boats off the Oregon Coast. They provide everything except the license and they sell those. My last catch was a 56 pound Halibut and they cleaned it for me.

·
Premium Member
5,891 Posts
Vaycay this year is in the OBX with family in late July. We chartered a sport boat. Last time, I hooked a hammerhead and tossed it back. Came home with a couple of dolphin (Mahi Mahi) and a small grouper... good eats!

I sold my bass boat a few years ago. Considering a 16-18 ft jon in retirement. I enjoy fly fishing, but prefer the sport in the NC mountains.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Saltwater only here. I have never fresh water fished. Have not done a lot this year yet. Few trips on my friend's boat caught a couple bass and a small shark. That was a little early. I have done a lot of crabbing so far as that is very easy to take my 3 year old son. There is a tidal river that is a few hundred yards from my house. That is a great shark spot in the summer evenings with an incoming tide. We have a park that is a short bike ride away with a nice pier so I hit that up fairly often. I have my shark rigs all set for river fishing. My surf fishing shark rig is set up along with regular surf fishing setup but I have not used either this season. I really enjoy surf fishing but man, time has been short this year. I spent way too much time just trying to survive and now catch back up!

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
Well since my backpacking trip was canceled. Will wait for late fall.
I am planning on a week of fishing with my son in a week when he gets off his ship.
Will meet him in Galveston. His buddy has a charter boat. Not my favorite type of fishing (crowds).
But I am also going to do some surf fishing which I love.
Crack of dawn, tide coming in hot coffee and the surf.
Or sundown tide coming in cold beer or a whiskey and the surf.

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good thing I out on a 1x leader before I left the house today...

He was in there somewhere

Caught a bunch of these guys on the same minnow

I haven't found any eating size yet, but they must be in there because I caught a couple babies, too.

Biggest one today. Not as big as yesterday. Still a good fight though.

·
Registered
34,621 Posts
I had a flats boat a few years back. Sold it when my back and knees made using it too hazardous. I really loved to head out the inlet and fill the boat with Spanish mackerel. I once caught a 45-pound cobia. Ate one nice fillet from it and then discovered--after several days--the freezer had died. Phew! Out to the curb it went. Haven't done much fishing since the boat went away.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Just a few from our family camping trips...And i am the picture taker...So no sense in trying to figure which one is me...LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
16,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a few from our family camping trips...And i am the picture taker...So no sense in trying to figure which one is me...LOL

You boys noodling those cats?

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
My youngest hawling in a massive speckled trout two weeks ago at the Louisiana coast (Grand Island). Caught 24 that morning and a few bonus redfish.
Second pic is one of a few bass I catch at the pond by the house I kill time at. Always much fun!

Fishing is my first love.....

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Vaycay this year is in the OBX with family in late July. We chartered a sport boat. Last time, I hooked a hammerhead and tossed it back. Came home with a couple of dolphin (Mahi Mahi) and a small grouper... good eats!

I sold my bass boat a few years ago. Considering a 16-18 ft jon in retirement. I enjoy fly fishing, but prefer the sport in the NC mountains.
When I lived in the mountains we used to go to the OBX surf fishing for a week in November every year. We usually stayed in Avon or Buxton and fished the Point at the Hatteras Lighthouse. It is pretty cool to be surf fishing and see deer watching you from 25 yds away! Definitely worth the trip!

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Good thread @PAcanis;

I miss surf and pier fishing since leaving the coast, miss fresh Spots and Blues, yum! Blues are too fun to catch, good fight.

·
Registered
34,621 Posts
Blue gills, fly-rod & poppers are a blast. If they grew to be 5#s everyone would give up bass.
I spent many a day at the lake with little rubber-legged flies catching bream and blue gills. Great fun that any kids will enjoy. I got into catching shellcrackers in middle GA when I was stationed there. Think bluegills on steroid overdoses! Small panfish can be a lot of fun and make for a great fish fry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts