Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I know one of the things that influenced my recent purchase was that the gun couldn't be too thick. It actually wasn't the length that was bothering me so much as it was the width.

As a matter of fact it's exactly why I bought a semi auto for my intended purpose. No cylinder bulge.

What are some guns that are relatively flat/thin?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, I guess I'll be the first. It's hard to beat Ye Olde 1911 for a serious handgun that is relatively flat.

SSKC

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
FLAT & THIN

I remember hearing a story of one small handed private detective in Florida that carried a .45 that had the grips and the 4 grip screw bushings removed & carried/shot that 45 without any grips on it at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Browning's now-discontinued BDM was a 9mm that was unique for several reasons. One was that it was/is very thin. I never owned one but I've heard mostly positives about them.

I do own a gem that too is thin, IMO. My H&K P7M8 is a shooter and a keeper.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
The Rohrbaugh R9 is about .925" across - at widest point of grips at base where mag well is. Slide width is about 0.820".

I had a P3-AT and that of course is pretty slim but here with R9 we have a true pocket piece in 9mm ..... and all metal with fine engineering.

·
Registered
135 Posts
1911's, The Browning High Power and Sig 239's are nice and flat. If you are going for a really flat small auto loader then the Kahr pistols would be great. Also If you are into Glocks then the Glock 36 is relatively flat.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Ok
Thry this one on for size. It measures .850 in width.. That's if my Verniers are off..
AND BTH...the A S P is in limited production again as I've found out. I can't begin to imagine the cost though. I bought mine for 550.00 in 1985
Here's a pic, notice the "guttersnipe sight system on the top of slide.. it REALLY does work!! and a pic of the current production in stainless steel :biggrin:

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
The ASP Yep that is a really compact & slim defensive firearm.
I still want a brand spankin' new Rohrbaugh R9 though.
Maybe for X~Mas I'll get one in my stocking.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Rob - SWEET!!! I guess there is enough ''meat'' in the slide - otherwise they wouldn't offer it.

Hmmm $899 - slightly ''ouch''!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
:biggrin: I'm selling my P7's to do it! I figure I can get 1-1/2 STI paid for with one HK, and buy a new .22, and some accsy's with the $$ from the other P7. FYI- Mike Chasse, of Longmountain Custom Rifle, is an STI Master Dealer.....which means $800, delivered to my FFL, from Mike. He doesn't sell many of the 9mm's (they offer it in .40, too), so he had to order mine (which means I'll probably be able to get consecutive s/n#'s!!) :biggrin: :biggrin: Anticipation!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Anticipation - I'll say!!! :smile:

Tho OTOH can imagine you'll have some remorse at saying ''bye'' to the P7's!!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I spent years trying to get 2 HC'd P7M8's, mags, gear, etc. Then they DC'd them. :dead: Parts were pricey to begin with; only going up now. I like the BLS, as it is a fairly uncommon semi-custom, most of the (breakable)parts are straight 1911, and the only two things I don't like (de-activated slide hold-open, and crappy, plain black sights) are easily modified.

STI is an American gunmaker, and they're based in Texas......who else would you want to spend money with?? :biggrin:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Rob72 said:
the only two things I don't like (de-activated slide hold-open, and crappy, plain black sights) are easily modified.
Any idea why they did that (de-activated slide hold-open)? I looked at the site and and didn't find any info. I'm curious as to how easy it would be to return it to "normal."

SSKC

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
STI is a good gun. I considered one when I was looking to buy a new 1911. Be sure to write a review when you get it and put it through it's paces....

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Im gonna say not last shot hold open for relaibilty with that small of a set up probley couldnt get it to run other wise 1911's seem to do weird things as they get shrunk im finding out ..

Also one of them slim line kahr's are pretty small and thin to small for me cant shoot it comfortably

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
He Crept Like A Thief In The Night

And Borrowed that STI photo. I know it's bad web etiquette but, I'm a rebel. Hey...we might sell them a few pistols. :biggrin:
WOW! That IS AMAZINGLY THIN!
REALLY THIN...

·
Registered
698 Posts

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Tex, that is the "BLS"- basically a Commander (short slide/full-size frame).
I asked the shop guy at STI about the sights and the hold-open. The response on the hold-open was very "HK"- in the studies the tech team looked at (mil/PD), it was "confusing" to have the slide lock open, and cost the shooter a few seconds of "WTF?", before they reloaded. The reasoning is that if you hear "click", you go to the clearance/reload drill. Basically, (from what I was told) the slide-catch has had the follower projection ground off, so replacement with a standard part should be a fairly drop-in procedure.

The sights (to me) are horrible- plain black. Here, I'm assuming they were looking at the "point-shoot-I-never-saw-the-sights" AAR's. The slide is extremely thin, but Mike said that he could get a set of white-dots (or hopefully XS) installed. I've got some money down, but still trying to get my M8's sold. Anyone looking? :biggrin:

Whoops! My mistake, its Thunder Mountain: www.thundermountaincustomrifle.com

Mike Chasse is the guy to ask for, $800 to your dealer. (My dealer will charge me $45 to do both guns, so $1645 total, VS the $1950 I would pay the local shop that has one. No tax, since I pay the dealer directly.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts