Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if there is any truth to this at all.

Used to be reckoned - mostly jokingly that if a car had problems then maybe it was a ''Friday Night'' example. Meaning - the guys working on it rushed to get it together so they could get on home. Well - vehicle makers seemingly and probably run three shifts 24/7 but - what about gun manufacturers?

When folks write about their gun - and many say it (whatever it is) is great - there will always be a few who say otherwise. Maybe QC gets rushed? Lax assembly methods?

I know lemons exist - but wonder why - maybe this is one potential reason?

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Rember built friday night isnt good becuse they were in a hurry to go to the bar monday mornings was built with a hangover

Its like everything else crank it out the door and fix what ever comes back its cheeper i see it at work all the time

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I think Bud has it.

For instance, take my XD. It's one of thousands. All made the same way, with the same parts, in the same plant.

98% of them will turn out fine. Springfield Armory will just make good on the other 2% and hope no one dies because they got a defective gun issued to them.

I used to work for General Motors. Take my Silverado. It's one of millions, all made in the same plant, same parts.

98% of all Silverados are fine...

Seriously, these big car companies plan on 2-3% of their cars giving people trouble. Anything man made, especially something like a car and to a lesser degree a gun, can have an infinite number of flaws.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take my Silverado
Well Euc I already have my own - but if you insist :banana:

·
Administrator
143,575 Posts
Remember

Colt Firearms let quite a few Friday Night Pistols out of the ol' factory for a good long while.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Trade ya. Actually I like my truck just fine. It's actually more truck than I need.

I call it the Texas Bachelor's Special. Regular cab, Vortec 4300, standard suspension, short bed, manual locks on the doors.

See to most people those are all bad things. I actually like my truck that way. It's actually a special Texas-Oklahoma trim package that's kind of weird... like you get a CD player, but you don't get power locks. You know, options that would normally be clumped together aren't.

I was going to hold out and buy a Colorado, but circumstances beyond my control forced my hand...

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've been lucky so far. Even my Jennings .22 and my Tec Nine don't jam, have the failures that are talked about so much, etc..

But, things do happen, but if you can't depend on customer service to make it right, then they don't deserve anyone's money, 98% or not.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vortec 4300
Doncha mean 5,300 Euc? Mine is the Vortek 325 which is the 5.3 liter - great power unit - way better than my old big block 350. Mine has (pure luck) the Protech bed - all plastic and about dent proof, plus lighter weight.

Wayne - a jam-proof Jennings and Tech 9 - shucks - what is the world comin' to :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Nope mine's the 6 cylinder.

I've heard of some of those junk guns being rare specimens that actually work. Just don't dare try to dissassemble them or rattle them too hard or you might lose the magic...

Seriously I like old Rossis for no good reason and they're the same way. When you get one that works, it works just fine.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh sorry Euc - had totally forgotten about the V6 option - still a good power unit tho - and for sure better gas mileage than mine!

I am lucky to exceed 15 most of time.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Well it's like I said, most people would consider a 6 cylinder in a full size truck a bad thing. But the mileage it gets from my calculations actually exceeds what the factory says it gets. I average about 19 in city and 23 on the highway if I'm using cruise control consistently. Keeping the throttle held at a uniform position actually does meaningfully effect fuel economy over extended periods, and the cruise control does a much better job than my foot.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Chris 350 is still a small block dont get into big block till around 396..

Only thing i dislike about the new 5.3 and such is no bolt on performance items like for the 350 or 5.7 if you prefer that engine was around from the 50's and ruked the roost for awhile and still does in most older muscle cars

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Bud White said:
Only thing i dislike about the new 5.3 and such is no bolt on performance items like for the 350
They don't need aftermarket bolt on stuff (for the most part) to make power. All you need is a good cold air intake setup, and a good free flowing exhaust and the rest can be done with a computer reprogramming. Most 5.3 engines in our silves have the potential to be 500 + hp firebreathing tire shredding animals, with just what I mentioned. The factory only sets them at 65% so you can still gain 35% more power with a reprogramming, intake, and exhaust.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
You Bowtie guys......the handle says it all...F350 XLT, extended cab, dually, diesel 4X4 with the extra heavy tow/haul package.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Euc

I've heard of some of those junk guns being rare specimens that actually work. Just don't dare try to dissassemble them or rattle them too hard or you might lose the magic...
I guess that since the good quality guns are 98/2, I guess you can get low quality guns at 2/98.

I just got lucky and got the 2% that actually work *grin* (not used to the smilies here yet).

Wayne

·
Registered
132 Posts
Friday Night Machines

Here's my $ 0.02 on the subject. In any manufactured part, the designer/engineer allows for tolerances for the finished part. When thousands (or more) complex parts are produced, QC uses Statistical Process Control to predict when the tooling and/or machinery used in the mfg process must be replaced or adjusted. Although these parts meet dimensional criteria, when they are assembled with other parts into complex assemblies (ie weapons, vehicles, etc) those tolerances can accumulate, described as "Tolerance Stack Up". This "Stack Up" can prevent parts from fitting properly into the assembly causing the problems everyone has been talking about.
Closing the tolerance allowance solves the fit problem but slows the manufacturing process therefor increasing the manufacturing cost. I've handled two middle of the road brand 1911 clones from the display case of a local gunshop. Both were identical models, when I held and shook one, the slide rattled, the other was tight. The shop owner sent the "rattler" back. But the "rattler" probably was a serviceable shooter.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
F350 said:
You Bowtie guys......the handle says it all...F350 XLT, extended cab, dually, diesel 4X4 with the extra heavy tow/haul package.

Blue Oval Boy :chairshot

Don't worry we won't hold that against you (for now) :smile:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts