Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here they are. I went to the local Tandy factory and went through their scrap bin. I came out with enough material to make at least 4 holsters, price, $12. I also had the kydex come in from Knifekits.com. Overall I am please with them. I know I could do better if I had a press instead of using my hands and tools, but I think they look just fine and will work just as well.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Neat lookin holster :35: you made the whole thing?! What kind of rivits are those? Whats on the back?

Best thing I ever made was some mag pouches for my P3AT :22a:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Nice work. At first glance I thought that I was looking at some MTACs.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rivets are these. My wife got them for me at michaels craft store.

Thanks for the kind words.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had the belt loops from the other holsters I've purchased. I believe one was Little bear holsters, and the other was Bluegrass holsters. You can make them yourself although you would need some thicker kydex(if you desire). I found this morning that a framing square is exactly 2" I taped a metal file to it to simulate the dimensions of my belt. It works good enough.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just finished making a Kydex mag carrier for my LCP. I think it came out pretty good. This is starting to become adicting!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I really like the mag carrier. I will have to try one like that myself.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Looks very functional! You've scorched the kydex pretty good so you'll want to be careful with that. When you get it too hot it can lose some of it's strength and get brittle. Get yourself a heat gun to work with it. It works much better than a torch at isolating separate parts without overheating the kydex.

I don't use a press when I make stuff. I prefer to use just a couple of pieces of foam, a few hot pads and maybe a small towel or pillow.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Good lookin do it yourself holsters, and the mag carrier is awesome. I think I'm gonna do some research on kydex and how to use it. Thanks for the inspiration.:hand10:

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
I'm impressed...looks like you have an effective holster there.:hand10:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Very nice, just a tip on how to clean up those edges..

Take a normal, everyday utility knife with a new blade. Very slowly and surgically cut around the perimeter. DON'T try to cut all the way through in one slice. Make as many slow steady slices as necessary to get through. This will keep you from slipping.

Nate

·
Registered
376 Posts
Very nice, watch out, the holster making gets addictive.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Cuban, you have definitely spurred an interest in me as well as others. You've done good with your work. I really like the mag pouch. Guess I'm going to have to get into working with Kydex and leather.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cuban, you have definitely spurred an interest in me as well as others. You've done good with your work. I really like the mag pouch. Guess I'm going to have to get into working with Kydex and leather.
Thanks. I am a mechanic for the coast guard and love making things with my hands. My old man purchased a supertuck and I tried it on once. It was well made, but I couldn't see myself spending that money on that. It's not that I don't have the money. It's just that I don't want to pay for something that I can make myself for alot cheaper. It may not be the same, but it functions the same.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
A press is easy to make - $5 camping sleep mat from WalMart cut and glued (spray works great) to a couple 2"x6"'s, and 3 or 4 C-clamps. +1 on the heat gun.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts