Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't had much interest in this gun, but I had a 380 that I wasn't using... and wanted all my handguns to run ammo from my 1050 for practice. A trade was made and I loaded it up and stuck it in my left pocket. Because of an injury, the first couple of outings were shooting weak hand only. I've since been able to get a few brief sessions in and make use of a two handed grip with the factory base pads. This gun shoots really nice for an almost pocket gun / pocket gun. I haven't run it off a bench but it looks like it's shooting as well as my bigger guns.

I still have the factory sights on it but have added some of Taran's base pads. The +2 really helped clean up the draw but I haven't had time to check them for reliability. I'll update this when I get some range time in but right now I'm very impressed with this package. For me....this gun does what the 26 couldn't.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Very good choice! You brought up an important issue for all CCW carriers and that is practicing with your weak hand! I try to do at with least one magazine of weak hand unsupported during each practice session.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good choice! You brought up an important issue for all CCW carriers and that is practicing with your weak hand! I try to do at with least one magazine of weak hand unsupported during each practice session.
I didn't have any choice at the time and wanted to shoot the gun. Here's a 2/3 target at 25, weak hand on the first day.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
For me, the G43 is the best CCW weapon Glock has to offer. It's thin, reliable, light, reliable, shoots a decent caliber round, is reliable, and I am fine with 7 on tap and 6 on deck. Plus, it's reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I love mine. I added Trijicon HD sights, a green Crimson Trace laser sight (bright enough to light up a small room at night), and MagGuts to one of the 6-round magazines giving me 7 in the mag plus one in the chamber. I'm carrying Underwood standard pressure Xtreme Defender rounds. Factor in its total reliability and, for me, it's pretty much the perfect self-defense weapon.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

2/3 target again at 30 yards, 5 shots freestyle with Montana Gold bullets and testing Taran Tactical +1 and + 2 basepads.

Six from 30 using Cimmaron coated bullets. I used the neckline for a more precise aiming point. I pulled one off the target but I've seen enough to call this gun a shooter.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a little more range time, I have confirmed my initial thoughts on this gun. Like the 26s I've had, the 43 became a lot easier to draw and shoot at speed when I used extended base pads. In the video I'm using a Taran +2. When I add a +2, it becomes a belt gun, not a pocket gun. If I'm carrying on the belt, I might as well have a double stack that holds more bullets and is much easier to reload.

If I use a factory base pad or a +1, my pinky has nowhere to be and the shooting slows down considerably... but it fits in a pocket. While it may sound like it doesn't really fit in anywhere, it can still be carried when I can't 19, even if it is in a pocket. With a + 2 in a belt holster, it is still more concealable than the 19 because it's thin. This is what the 26 couldn't do and why I no longer have one. Overall I'm pleased and have some more range time before I'm calling it good to go.

Issues: 4 of the 5 factory mags each had a FTRB on the very first loading with no malfunctions since. In each case, the top round in the mag stripped and chambered enough for the striker to hit the primer off center near the edge, not setting it off. Taran's base pads have been perfect so far.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

2/3 target again at 30 yards, 5 shots freestyle with Montana Gold bullets and testing Taran Tactical +1 and + 2 basepads.

Six from 30 using Cimmaron coated bullets. I used the neckline for a more precise aiming point. I pulled one off the target but I've seen enough to call this gun a shooter.
do you have a pic of the back of the target ? I'm interested in how you are hanging the steel target on the frame. thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will next time I go. 2x4x3/16 (IIRC) tubing with a peice of angle iron welded across the front, with two bolt holes is the easiest. I use 2x4s for the vertical.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The G43 is a very good gun. It was in the top two that I was willing to buy for my CC gun. You made a good choice.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The G43 is a very good gun. It was in the top two that I was willing to buy for my CC gun. You made a good choice.
I was in the same boat as you but I went with the Shield instead. Still not sure I went with the right gun and feel I may be missing out. May have to just go get it and just have both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was in the same boat as you but I went with the Shield instead. Still not sure I went with the right gun and feel I may be missing out. May have to just go get it and just have both!
I'm surprised Walthers aren't as popular, considering all the great reviews the PPS and PPQ get. You may want to try a PPS Classic and/or M2 while you're at it. That's what I settled on and I'm quite happy about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts