Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I'm talking about the Glock 36. The original slimline Glock. The redheaded stepchild in the lineup, the model few remember and many would like to forget. It got a bad rap early on due to feeding issues, inability to accept the double-stack mags, and no factory extended mags available. Too big for its capacity, to low capacity for carry, no accessory rail, for the size of a Glock 19 just carry a Glock 19, etc.

Well, my new CCW is a Glock 36.

They added the rail a few years ago and a TLR7A seems made for it. It feeds on everything but soft lead; FMJ, HST, XTP, +P, etc., it eats them all and chucks those 230gr bowling balls downrange through one single ragged hole in the 10-ring. I can reload it fast and those short little mags hide easily.

Yup, this is one sweet shooter indeed, and as a huge fan of .45ACP Glocks I consider this one worthy. I'd rank it second only to my G21 Gen4 and tops as a CCW. I was not expecting to be as impressed as I am.

That's all, folks. Carry on.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I had a Glock 36 three different times (tried to like it, slow learner), they worked fine but ...
Why did Glock cut the frame short and not offer flush fit mags? Pointless.
AIWB there is no difference in difficulty concealing a 36 vs a 30SF - same height.
7 round capacity in the 36 versus 11 rounds for the 30SF - no contest.

That said, the Glock 36 would be preferred over a pocket 32, 380, or 38 snub.

·
Premium Member
39,014 Posts
I had a Glock 36 three different times (tried to like it, slow learner), they worked fine but ...
AIWB there is no difference in difficulty concealing a 36 vs a 30SF - same height.

Smith and Wesson did that with their Shield series and hit it completely out of the park. As great a gun as Glock makes, the magwell/baseplate/palmswell setups reek.

Reactions: CDW4ME

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
No hate here for the Glock 36! My Glock 36 replaced my Glock 26 as an off-duty, on-duty as a Sgt in Detective Division & BUG for more than 10 years. Never had a single hiccup with it! Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

On paper the 30 is superior but I could just never mesh with it. I shoot the 36 better than the 30 or the Shield. I trust my skill with it and know the slugs are going to go where I want. Between grip thickness and weight the 36 carries noticeably better than my 30.

I do have to agree with your point about the short grip, though. Perhaps the intent was to offer a flush fit mag but they couldn't make it fit 6 rounds for some reason. Personally, I wouldn't want to shoot this thing with only a 2-finger grip. It would have made sense to just make a full grip and offer extended mags. But regardless, the current design doesn't detract from its shootability at all.

·
Premium Member
6,602 Posts
Had a G36 for many years. Was the reason I stopped owning and shooting Glocks for a while. Those G36 magazines are not reliable. I am not speaking of feeding reliability but of catastrophic failure and parts breakage. Search DC and you'll come across my posts from many moons ago on the issue.

Don't trust a G36.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Premium Member
39,014 Posts
On paper the 30 is superior but I could just never mesh with it. I shoot the 36 better than the 30 or the Shield. I trust my skill with it and know the slugs are going to go where I want. Between grip thickness and weight the 36 carries noticeably better than my 30.

I do have to agree with your point about the short grip, though. Perhaps the intent was to offer a flush fit mag but they couldn't make it fit 6 rounds for some reason. Personally, I wouldn't want to shoot this thing with only a 2-finger grip. It would have made sense to just make a full grip and offer extended mags. But regardless, the current design doesn't detract from its shootability at all.
You've compared the .45 Shield with the Glock 36?

My statement about the Shield series was a bit too broad in that I meant merely in regard to the flush mag baseplates. My overall enthusiasm is strictly with the.45 Shield. I was and remain underwhelmed with the 9mm Shield.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Opened this thread expecting something about .45gap or .357 sig. nice purchase!

·
Administrator
144,772 Posts
Stretching my memory way back the very first reliability issue with the G 36 was due to the magazine well being slightly out of spec.
That allowed a bit too much "front to back" play of a seated magazine & that was what affected the feed.
I believe that GLOCK rectified that frame issue in very short order.

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Its the only glock I hate

I owned one for less then a month ..Wanted to love it

My issue ? Simply the mag ..If it had either a flush fit mag ala the glock 30 I would love it ..But the gap in the mag and frame was bad for me it just hurt to shoot ..If they made one with a flush fit mag I would buy it no question

·
Premium Member
39,014 Posts
Its the only glock I hate

I owned one for less then a month ..Wanted to love it

My issue ? Simply the mag ..If it had either a flush fit mag ala the glock 30 I would love it ..But the gap in the mag and frame was bad for me it just hurt to shoot ..If they made one with a flush fit mag I would buy it no question
It's unfortunate for everyone that Glock insists on sticking with the pinchy baseplate/magwell set-ups and palm swells on all their offerings.

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
It's unfortunate for everyone that Glock insists on sticking with the pinchy baseplate/magwell set-ups and palm swells on all their offerings.

The gun felt great and shot great ..But ever round that gap between the extended base plate (Factory ) and the grip bit me ... Switch to a xdm or whatever there single stack guns was

Its a shame for sure ..Really it could have been great

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Don’t have a G36, but do have a G30S. Same thin slide as the G36 but with the G30SF frame. Perfect combination for me. One of my all time favorite pistols ever.

Reactions: KCGoreEsq

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Nothing wrong with the G36. It is a violent little gun and a real shooter. I added Trijicons years ago and is one of my daily carry guns. Smith and Wesson really put a damper on the sales of this gun when they introduced the M&P Shield 45 which has the same capacity and one more round with the extended magazine. Very little after market anything is available for the G36....no extended mags, nada. Truly the red headed step child of the Glock lineup.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I feel the pain for several Glock 36 owners. I have had three of them brought to me because of reliability issues.

I blame the issues on the recoil spring weight as the three Glock 36s I looked had the same thing in common they did not function with winchester white box. They would have a malfunction every to every other magazine. Switch out white box to duty ammunition the problem went away.

Two of the three traded out the 36 for a different model. Personally, I never bought a G36 but went to the 30S. I have both extended (10 round) and flush fit (9 round) magazines for it.

However, I agree that Glock has really missed the boat and over looked magazine accessories/combinations.
At the beginning it was their strong point as a Glock 17 magazine would fit in a G19 or 26.

However, they currently seem to be perfectly content with selling 6 round G43 magazines and/ or charging $10 extra for a 20 cent piece of plastic they call a finger extension that adds no more capacity.

The G29 is even worse with options...a finger extension that offers no increase in capacity or one that adds two, looks like crap and is too big and let's your rounds rattle inside of the magazine!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I feel the pain for several Glock 36 owners. I have had three of them brought to me because of reliability issues.

I blame the issues on the recoil spring weight as the three Glock 36s I looked had the same thing in common they did not function with winchester white box. They would have a malfunction every to every other magazine. Switch out white box to duty ammunition the problem went away.

Two of the three traded out the 36 for a different model. Personally, I never bought a G36 but went to the 30S. I have both extended (10 round) and flush fit (9 round) magazines for it.

However, I agree that Glock has really missed the boat and over looked magazine accessories/combinations.
At the beginning it was their strong point as a Glock 17 magazine would fit in a G19 or 26.

However, they currently seem to be perfectly content with selling 6 round G43 magazines and/ or charging $10 extra for a 20 cent piece of plastic they call a finger extension that adds no more capacity.

The G29 is even worse with options...a finger extension that offers no increase in capacity or one that adds two, looks like crap and is too big and let's your rounds rattle inside of the magazine!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I own several .45's that will not cycle WWB, but the G36 and G30SF I own do fine with it. Not sure if the problem you point out is a bad recoil spring or lousy Winchester White Box ammo. The guns that I have that don't cycle WWB cycle fine on just about EVERY OTHER .45 Ammo I've fired through them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts