Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Erich's post on his new snub got to me to thinking on this - as he mentioned 148 Rainier WC handloads.

I have never really put this to the test but I seem to recall that good old fashioned LWC's were highly effective ''bruisers''. More so maybe if loaded reversed, such that a hollow base was actually the leading surface.

Any thoughts? I know we tend to stay with factory loads but - can anyone remember any historic data for WC's. I doubt they are too ''BG friendly" :wink: :evil:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Had a Cop tell me once the best round and most imprssive damage ive ever seen was from a 158 Hollow base wad cutter reversed 2 from a 38 snub was more than enough ..

Ya know ive never loaded a wadcutter but been thinking on it just for target and maybe the HBWC for use in my 2 inch snub

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Biggest downside Bud IMO is - they make for absolute crap speedloads!! Even with my Safariland Comp I or Comp II. Nothing really to guide them in.

Back in my old days of compo shooting I loaded WC's proud - meaning not crimped over top - had about 1/8" showing - still tho a total PITA for a speedload.

Maybe tho a coupla well placed shots would avoid the speedload anyways! :18:

·
Registered
33 Posts
http://www.safestop.net/bullets.html

Fuzzy makes the best WC type rounds for the 38spl IMO.

I have found the HBWC loaded backwards to be unreliable proformer,they have limited penetration they tend to keyhole/tumble,etc...BAD carry LOAD IMO!

I think the old scorpion hydrashock HBWC type design was OK but it still had problems also.

I always liked the old WC type design of the omnishock:)image035: spinning blades of death)

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
I have found the HBWC loaded backwards to be unreliable proformer,they have limited penetration they tend to keyhole/tumble,etc...BAD carry LOAD IMO!
I agree. The backwards WC is an interesting concept, but since it wasn't originally designed to be used that way, it just doesn't work.

Here's a previous thread on this topic:

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2852

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thx for link Crunch - had quite forgotten that.

BTW - other day watched an interesting thing on History Channel - the ''real'' Captain Crunch - the ex CIA guy who had to find out who bombed the Embassy in Beirut - quite an operator it seems he was, tho after the event they screwed him royally.

·
Registered
862 Posts
BTW - other day watched an interesting thing on History Channel - the ''real'' Captain Crunch - the ex CIA guy who had to find out who bombed the Embassy in Beirut - quite an operator it seems he was, tho after the event they screwed him royally.
Saw that a few days ago. That reminds me, I should carry a BIGGER A.S.P.! Is that the special where someone mentioned that C.I.A really stands for Cover.Your.A$$.:wink:

I have 100 rds of Chicago load ammo, wish I could use these bad boys at work. Ive read that they don't get the best performance out of a snubby.

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Wasn't there, didn't do it.:haha:

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I still cary th 148 gr HBWC reversed in my S&W 60. I load it up with 8.5 Gr of PB powder, and put a good crimp on the casing They shoot really well, and lave a nice clean round hole in the target. If they tumble, well then more leakage for the BG in my eyes.

·
Super Moderator
22,199 Posts
I'll stick with the old FBI load. :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
IMO Tumbling to the target is bad.

The old hydra HBW was an interesting design but was not that great.

The omnishock wadcutter design was a killer round,it was a cutting,expanding wadcutterdesign.

I will stick with the 135gr gold dot,FBI Load,or Fuzzys cup faced wadcutters.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Im qualified on a .38 special and am seriously considering the semi-wadcutter in 158 grain from Magtech. I've shot some of their other stuff and they are in the "buy again" category, along with Winchester and Blazer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts