Defensive Carry banner

The gun debate is cultural

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Crowman 
i have friends who are/have been teachers and educators. when i recently mentioned that the governor of South Dakota recently approved legislation allowing approved people to carry firearms in the public schools, and that i was in favor of the law, one reacted very vehemently against the idea. those who are strongly anti-gun really do think/feel as described in the article. they just loath guns. this makes it impossible to have an intelligent conversation with them, because their response to every pro-gun argument is not a fact-based, rational one. pushed to explain how any of the restrictive laws their side advocates would actually DO ANYTHING to stem or even lower the killing of innocents by firearms, their response is, "i don't like guns, and i don't think that anyone should be allowed to own one."

the good side is that people like this are still a minority. an impassioned and vocal minority, but still a minority. most Americans want the ability own firearms if they want to. many of them don't own guns now, but they want to be able to get one if they felt it necessary. and they are against laws that would prevent them from obtaining them.

it is, pardon the expression, a "common sense" conclusion. if you're in danger of physical attack, it's better to have a gun. even Arthur Kellerman, who authored the infamous study which concluded (very misleadingly) that, "a gun in the home is 43 times more likely to be used against a member of the household than an attacker," once confessed to an interviewer that if his wife were being attacked, that "yes, he'd want her to have a gun."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.