Defensive Carry banner

The gun debate is cultural

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Crowman 
Yeah, here's one of those "fine and interesting points":

"Some Americans teach their children that gun ownership is a right a responsibility, and that guns are tools to respect and enjoy. Others discipline five-year olds for fashioning pretend guns out of pipe cleaners; they view guns with something resembling disgust.

Productive conversations about guns can thus be difficult because the anti-gun movement gives little to no weight to the values of private gun ownership. That is because “gun disgust” engenders a bias against guns." :icon_rolleyes:

Speaking of impeding productive conversations about guns...pot meet kettle! I mean, seriously, the tone in this article toward those who favor gun control is so condescending and belittling while maintaining that pro-gun advocates are rational and reasonable is completely ridiculous and biased. Of course, I see the source (Fox "News") and understand the bias, but my larger concern is that some people will read this and accept this position as fact because it's "printed" on a "news" site. This is neither fact nor objective journalism; it's opinion, plain and simple, draped in the cloak of news. This is an op-ed piece without the clarification that we should read this as opinion. And I would say this is counter-productive, hurts gun-rights activists because it makes people mad. I'm not a liberal, I'm not a conservative, I believe in gun rights, and I believe in moderate, common-sense gun control. I agree that an assault weapons ban will do little to stem the violence in our nation, and I agree an AWB or a ban on 10rd. mags will NOT prevent another mass shooting. But this article is just too opinionated, which is fine. People are entitled to their opinions, but when he hides behind the cloak of "newscasting," that's when it becomes problematic.

Read more: The gun debate is a culture debate | Fox News

and the indoctrination is starting in the schools... the gun free zones. The ZERO tolerance zones.... those same schools where we went, with a gun in the trunk of our cars so that we could go squirrel hunting after school... The SAME EXACT schools in many cases...
I agree with this to a point, and it is this point that MANY people, including yourself, fail to recognize. I went to a school like, I grew up in a town in west Texas like this, with kids and adults with shotguns and rifles mounted in the back of the trucks. I get that culture and mindset. BUT schools today are not OUR schools, they are not the schools we graduated from 5-10-20-30 years ago. That's just how it is: the world has changed.

If you think being an administrator or teacher today is easy, you're wrong, flat-out. Schools indoctrinate a great many things other than a fear of guns, some of those things more harmful than a fear of guns, I would argue: A fear of "not-normal" gender roles, a fear of gays, a fear of non-Christians, a fear of non-conformists, a rigid adherence to sometimes non-sensical rules....I'm sure we could list others. I agree with you that many of these things are non-sensical, but I would also caution you about such blanket statements. While the general public may not understand the rules or believe in them, and while some of the rules may be just plain dumb (I would argue that many school rules are just stupid), many of the rules we may not understand are vital in ensuring a productive learning environment.

I am interested to hear what you would regard as a productive conversation about guns.
A conversation that is honest and not condescending or belittling to either side. So when this article says "productive conversations about guns can thus be difficult because the anti-gun movement gives little to no weight to the values of gun ownership," that is a primary example of NOT being productive. The author could have written something like this: "Productive conversations about guns can thus be difficult because BOTH SIDES UNDERVALUE AND DEMEAN THE BELIEF SYSTEMS OF THE OPPOSING SIDE." That moves toward a more honest and open conversation then the article as it's printed.

Oi! I totally missed that, humble. Dang it! Well nevermind then. Continue as before, nothing to see here. BTW, humble, my parents lived in Humble, TX, for near 30 years, worked for Eastern before it collapsed (my grandad worked for Eastern too), and retired out to Ft. Davis, TX, a few years ago. I don't know if that's what your "humble" refers to or not; I thought maybe it did.

Sig, you're totally right. But I will add that the RNC admitted that its campaign strategy was to ignore facts and run a presidential campaign as only an emotional appeal. Obviously that was the wrong strategy. My point: BOTH sides ignore the facts when it is convenient for their political agenda.

But chit, the fact that I missed the blatant OPINION tab at the top o the page makes me feel like an azz. Perhaps I should withdraw all my posts in this thread? I feel like a tool for havin not seen that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.