Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure we've all been there at least once - "the handgun you wish you never bought"..was it too big,unreliable,poor quality,wrong caliber,not easy to conceal.what ever the reason,why did you regret buying it? specifiy make/model and reason.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Not to start a sh*t storm but my Kel-Tec P32 was a lemon....it went back twice to the factory and yes they repaired it but I sold it not long after I got it back the 2nd time...for me it was a POS....but I know others have had good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
Walther P22. Poor magazine quality in the first run, too difficult to clean and reassemble, DA/SA doesn't work well and I shoot it only SA, or cock the hammer, and the safety operates upside down/backwards from 1911 models.

S&W 99c .40 Too light for the caliber. Too much muzzle tilt. Recoil spring and guide rod assembly broke rather quickly and while the replacement (which took 6 months to get) looks much more sturdy than the original, I'm not shooting it much because I think that will go one more time.

I need to trade in both and get something else, but just haven't been able to bring myself to part with them, even with the flaws.

·
Super Moderator
19,385 Posts
Kel-Tec P-11, no problems with the gun but I was just unable to manage the long and heavy trigger pull, traded it for a Ruger Security Six.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My Taurus 94. I've owned it since Nov 2008, and actually had physical possession of it for about 7 weeks now - it spent the rest of that time back at Taurus (4 times!!) for repairs. They ended up replacing it. But the current gun has such a heavy trigger I can barely use it.

I want to sell it, but hubby claims he'll use it. We'll see.

·
Registered
543 Posts
A Lorcin (don't remember model).380, total P.O.S. Owned it a few months I guess.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
A Grendel .380 and I still have the POS... Not accurate, too wide, and kicks like a Brahma bull.

BTW I have a nice .380 Grendel for sale.:hand5:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I have had a few I wished I had never sold but none I regret buying....yet.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I hope I don't get flamed for this one. Glock 27. The .40 kicked like a mule in this subcompact. Grip angle was all wrong for me and wouldn't point naturally. The final straw was when I started noticing case bulges. It wasn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Years ago......an AMT Backup.

It might have made a good boat anchor, it was sure heavy enough, but it wasn't worth a tinker's you-know-what as a defensive handgun.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Walther P22. It's a very attractive idea...poorly executed. Taurus PT145 (in fairness, an early model). Broke twice in the first 19 rounds (both times requiring l-e-n-g-t-h-y Factory Warranty return). After 6-7 months of MY, not their, extensive, repeated phone-calls, follow-ups & frustration they finally exchanged the PT145 for a new PT945 at no cost. It ran fine & shot well, so at least I could keep my integrity when I traded it off. Lesson learned!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
In my case it was a RG-38 I bought when I first moved to Vegas. I needed a .38 to work armed security. This "thing" fired 5 out of 6 rounds when it was cold. The warmer it became, the less it fired. At one point it only fired 4 out of 6 rounds. It also had cheap plastic grips as well. But, that's all I could afford at the time.

I actually believed the person who certified me as qualified took pity on my by passing me that day at the range. I have a sinking feeling due to the poor performance of the gun I most likely would have otherwise failed that day! lol

When I had some money saved I bought my first GOOD gun. A S/W Model 10, w/4 inch heavy barrel. That was one excellent gun. I then turned my RG-38 into the local police to be destroyed. That RG was a piece a junk!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've had two.
Taurus 24/4. It always performed reliably, but I just couldn't shoot it accurately. And slide take down was a PITA.
Bersa Thunder .380.
Again, performed fine, and was accurate enough. It was just not the right size for either my wife or me. Kind of an "in between" size that really wasn't useful. Lost my shirt when I traded it too. Ended up straight up for a low end .22 plinker, that I still have, and like.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Nothing so far. I hope never to have one either.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Well . . . .

S&W Performance Center 3" .44 magnum Pretty to look at, pretty awful to shoot
S&W SW99 (.40) > Trigger broke 2X, Not very accurate
Walther P22 > Never worked right especially the extended barrel

I am satisfied with my assortment now and hope that that contentment will last for a while. There were others that I just traded up for a more desirable gun. If you maintain a good relationship with your local gunstore selling on consignment and buying at a discount means you never have to say "I'm done!"

·
Registered
307 Posts
Ruger SR9, the trigger was just as gritty as mud, and as stiff as a mule. Great gun aside from the nasty trigger

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
My Springfield TRP, I just can't get use to the sharp front strap, It might shoot great but I can't stand the way it feels so I haven't shoot it yet and I've had it about 6 months now. I will probably sell it and get a DW Marksman one day.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
A .357 Mag Deringer. I dont remember who made it, but it left a lasting impression on me. I rank that POS right up there with the 3 Kimbers I have owned. All of them had to be returned to the factory several times each before they would even come close to running right.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.