Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found an interesting article on Law Enforcement Today. This is the first time I've seen the hero of Sutherland Springs interviewed. He is pretty open about some things we don't talk about much here on DC (forum rules) so be aware of that in reading, you will encounter some strong statements about faith. Still, it is interesting, and I thought a great read which gives some insight to some folks who always have a question about, "What would I do in such a situation?"

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/biden-says-hero-who-stopped-texas-church-massacre-was-wrong-to-have-a-gun-that-hero-just-responded/

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
LOVE the title of the article:
"Biden says hero who stopped Texas church massacre was wrong to have a gun. So we talked to that hero."

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are some excellent lessons there for all of us.

My first thought was that I need magazines in a very easily accessible location.

I also think at least one of those will be clearly loaded and marked M855. That allows you to deal with Level III armor - God forbid, should the need ever arise.

EDIT to ADD...Another lesson, be careful you choose another insane person to give you a ride when seconds count! :ridinghorse: :vs_shocked:

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
There are some excellent lesson there for all of us.

My first thought was that I need magazines in a very easily accessible location.

I also think at least one of those will be clearly loaded and marked M855. That allows you to deal with Level III armor - God forbid, should the need ever arise.
Throughout the entire story he continues with one theme:
"If you can’t see God’s hand in all of this, you’re not looking."

Thanks for sharing the link!

·
Registered
34,623 Posts
Takin' care of business Texas Style!
Not to pour cold water on your fire, but apparently NO ONE inside that church was prepared to take care of business "Texas style." And the hero had to go to his safe to arm himself.

Continue with the legend.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to pour cold water on your fire, but apparently NO ONE inside that church was prepared to take care of business "Texas style." And the hero had to go to his safe to arm himself.

And not to rain on your parade brother, but what of the "Florida preparations" in the school massacre and the thrilling tale of the deputy who drank two cups of coffee and read the newspaper while listening to the gunfire and standing safely outside?

In any event - just me breaking the rule and poking the bear. :embarassed: Thank God for people who haven't been brainwashed to duck and cover in an active shooting - no matter where they live. We need more of 'em.

·
Registered
34,623 Posts
And not to rain on your parade brother, but what of the "Florida preparations" in the school massacre and the thrilling tale of the deputy who drank two cups of coffee and read the newspaper while listening to the gunfire and standing safely outside?

In any event - just me breaking the rule and poking the bear. :embarassed: Thank God for people who haven't been brainwashed to duck and cover in an active shooting - no matter where they live. We need more of 'em.
You don't see much braggadocio from FL folks in our mass shooting prep. After all, we have "ex-"sheriffs and deputies to handle that. Texas folks, on the other hand... :stups: :yup:

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Thank you for that story, it was great!

Edited to add to the one uppers lol: y’all can have both Florida and Texas! Too hot, both states are way too hot for my blood. I’d rather mosey back up Nawth with the Polocks and Germans, lots of homemade bread, beer and lots of snow!
:danceban:

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
Well we Texans are an acquired taste.
Proud and boastful almost to the point of sinfulness.
As the old saying goes.
Never ask a man if he is from Texas, if he is, he will surely tell you.
If he is not, why embarrass him. :)

On a side note, at the time of the shooting, it was still not legal to carry in a place of worship.
That law has now just changed this year. So if you are planning a repeat, you may get a big surprise from now on.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we Texans are an acquired taste.
Proud and boastful almost to the point of sinfulness.
As the old saying goes.
Never ask a man if he is from Texas, if he is, he will surely tell you.
If he is not, why embarrass him. :)

On a side note, at the time of the shooting, it was still not legal to carry in a place of worship.
That law has now just changed this year. So if you are planning a repeat, you may get a big surprise from now on.
Just a note. It has been legal to carry with a CHL in church in Texas for a long time. The catch was people stopped reading the code when they came across that, but failed to read down a few more sections to the paragraph that stated that carry by CHL holders in church was legal. (My paraphrase) The new section of the penal code, recently passed, made it the responsibility of the church to post the appropriate legal signage if they wanted to restrict LTC carry in that building.

@OldVet IMHO nobody is doing an adequate job preparing for mass shootings - not anyone, anywhere in America. Not yet, anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,995 Posts
Just a note. It has been legal to carry in church in Texas for a long time. The catch was people stopped reading the code when they came across that, but failed to read down a few more sections to the paragraph that stated that carry by CHL holders in church was legal. (My paraphrase) The new section of the penal code, recently passed, made it the responsibility of the church to post the appropriate legal signage if they wanted to restrict carry in that building.
Thanks for the clarification. Guess my reading comprehension sucks.
Sure wish they would make laws that the average guy can understand without going through mental calisthenics.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the clarification. Guess my reading comprehension sucks.
Sure wish they would make laws that the average guy can understand without going through mental calisthenics.
You and me both brother! I had an A.D.A. explain it to me a long time ago, when the subject came up. He admitted it was not the best "legal construction" - whatever that means.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
There are some excellent lessons there for all of us.

EDIT to ADD...Another lesson, be careful you choose another insane person to give you a ride when seconds count! :ridinghorse: :vs_shocked:
M193 will also punch through lvl3.

Just sayin’.

·
Registered
34,623 Posts
@OldVet IMHO nobody is doing an adequate job preparing for mass shootings - not anyone, anywhere in America. Not yet, anyway.
Not as long as legislators and LE encourages restriction of one's protection anywhere and everywhere.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Excellent and very inspirational read. God bless the heroes who run toward the sound of gunfire.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
Biden also suggested using a double barrel shotgun and shooting the gun in the air or firing through the door, so I don’t think too highly of his opinion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts