Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have four 1911's in 10mm
Ruger with adjustable sights, Ruger Night Watchman, Kimber TLE, Delta Elite.
Rugers and Kimber have ramped barrel, Delta doesn't.
8 rounds in flush fitting mag, 9 rounds in Wilson with base pad (not pictured).
10mm1911's.jpg

No, 10mm is not likely found at the local mart, but easy to get online or handload
My two main loads, both handloads (new brass) - 5 shot averages from 5'' barrel:
10mm Handload 180 Nosler @ 1,228 fps / 603# KE
10mm Handload Nosler 150 JHP @ 1,402 fps / 655# KE

Underwood offers the same bullets:
https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/10mm-auto-180-grain-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=7865916489785
https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/10mm-auto-150-grain-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=7865916391481

All four of my 10mm 1911's have a FLGR (full length guide rod); I know, it may get me killed according to those that dislike it. :tongue:
10mmMuzzles.jpg

"10mm over penetrates" is an incorrect generalization, lets go ahead and disprove it now.
Underwood 180 Gold Dot advertised @ 1,300 fps penetrate 12-16'' which is in the desirable range.

I carry a 1911 and prefer 10mm versions because of an extra round in the mag and increased KE. :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Nice collection CDW4ME. :yup:

I have a Glock 20SF, and would really like to have a 1911 in 10mm. One of these days it'll happen.

Thanks for the video link.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
This is one of those threads I should probably avoid.

It's muffled because I'm sitting down...

But I can hear my wallet screaming in the anticipation of pain!!!

Beauties you got there @CDW4ME @LimaCharlie

:hand15:

·
Super Moderator
18,251 Posts
Yummy four 10mms CDW4ME!

LimaCharlie's 10mms are inspiring too, including that revolver!

10mm is a truly rewarding way to do 1911 guns. The 1911 gun does 10mm so elegantly. Only one lives here. I fully expected to like it when I got it, but not to the extent that I have learned to like it. The 10mm won't supplant the good ol .45 ACP in my mind, but it sure does complement it nicely.

The 10mm here is Defensive Carry Forum's fault and y'all know who you are!

I have all-night gun show security to do this weekend. I carried the Delta Elite at the show two weeks ago and was all fired up to tote a revolver this time. Now I'll probably pack the 10mm again after reading this thread.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Out of curiosity, have you noticed any reliability deltas between the 1911's with the ramped barrels and the 1911's without the ramped barrels?

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Out of curiosity, have you noticed any reliability deltas between the 1911's with the ramped barrels and the 1911's without the ramped barrels?
The Delta has been 100% reliable through about 400-500 rounds of various HP - I don't load 10mm FMJ.
Delta came with a dual recoil spring and plastic (Colt probably calls it polymer, derlin whatever) short guide rod.
Me being a bit proactive (OCD whatever) searched and could not find a replacement for that factory recoil assembly.
It bugged me having a wear item that I could not find a replacement for, so I installed a FLGR and single 23# recoil spring.
First 200 rounds or so was with the original recoil assembly, next 200 rounds or so with the FLGR / 23# works great either way.

Not a 1911, but I also have a Glock 20SF
G20SF.jpg

Reactions: Old Man and Tstone

·
Premium Member
3,968 Posts
I’m in the back seat with Kerberos. I don’t think I should be here. We have a Parker Arms 10 that floats around my family but I’m the 2nd to most recent owner. Since the day that I stumbled into the LGS and they had a DW Bruin, I’ve had a hankerin that fades a bit and then comes back strong. It’s been back and strong just lately and this doesn’t help. I like my Dan Wesson’s quite a lot.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Oh, the pain.

I have not yet made the plunge, I have shot friends, like the calibre...ergggg.

no, I DO NOT need another calibre...no no no...but I wanna.

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Oh, the pain.
I have not yet made the plunge, I have shot friends,.
I would advise you to consult an attorney right away! Whoever you shot, they must not have been very good friends!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
friends guns...guns of my friends....oh NUTS * Calls attorney

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, the pain.

I have not yet made the plunge, I have shot friends, like the calibre...ergggg.

Wonder what a 155 Gold Dot at over 1,400 fps (716# KE) would do?
If you don't have a 10mm you may, or may not, want to watch. :image035: Fuel the fire. :scool:

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
Not a 1911, but I also have a Glock 20SF
View attachment 284974
Have you found much difference between shooting 10MM in the Glock compared to the 1911? I have a Glock 20SF and have found it to be an amazingly easy gun to shoot accurately.

·
Registered
Various
15,516 Posts
Have you found much difference between shooting 10MM in the Glock compared to the 1911? I have a Glock 20SF and have found it to be an amazingly easy gun to shoot accurately.

I find the large Glocks to be soft shooting for caliber. I think it is the flex of the polymer. I have owned a couple of Glock G20 and a couple of Glock G20 SF. I currently own a 6" Glock G40 MOS. The weight of the 1911 soaks up recoil, so they feel about the same to me.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts