Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 7 months ago, I secured a S+W Shield 45. It's been flawless in function, has proven that it points naturally, it's easy to shoot one handed [ 90% of my practice/training is shooting one handed ] and holds the same number of rounds my gov45's held [ using a 7 round mag ] while being 19 ounces lighter loaded than a gov model.

As this gun is no bigger than my j frames in length, nearly identical in height, and weighs about the same loaded as the J all steel model 60 357, is easier to shoot fast and accurately than a J frame, faster to reload-- it easily replaces the 1911 at 45 ounces loaded holding the same number of rounds, and the J frames slow reload and shorter ammo capacity before having to mandatory reload, with it's attributes that equal or surpass the snub as far as comfort of carrying [ it can be carried the same way I carried the J's, in my back pocket ] but shoots a bullet I'm happier to use than the 38's, and ultimately shoots more instinctively than a J, I'm just going to carry the Shield 45, and may pick up another one in the near future to match the one I have like the two J's that were carried in back pockets.

If these were available back in the day, I'm not so sure I'd have gone to the J's for summer in the cities, nor carried the 45 ounce 1911 that much, if at all.

Yes, this shield 45 has really grown on me. This gun in my hands shoots every bit as good as the 1911 I've carried for decades with umpteen hundreds of thousands of rounds down range. That's speaking volumes to me about how well designed and well manner this gun is.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I have the 9mm Shield and have yet to look at the 45. The 9 is a great gun and shooting it has been a pleasure. Hearing a lot of great things about 45. I also carry a 1911 on weekends. Now you have gone and done it, I'll have to start looking at the 45 again.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Ya' know AzQ, you make such a convincing case for the Shield .45 that it's just about time that...I OWN one! My holster thanks you. My wallet, uhhh, not so much. :biggrin2:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who'd a thunk this gun could fill the role of two guns. Shoots like bigger guns shooting my preferred caliber, and disappears like the J frames. Presently carrying it up on the belt strong side in a g26 hand boned holster that's somewhat worn and I had on hand without having to order another custom leather belt holster for it. It disappears easily and will oh so nice to carry in the heat out here.

No worry about remembering or missing the snick, or carrying unconventionally in C-0, nor the longer heavier da trigger pull to deal with as in the J's. But what really sells me on this gun? It seems in my hands, it's on autopilot like the 1911's are, after so many years of carrying and shooting them.

Not sure what it might replace or supplant in others line up

·
Registered
5,050 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Darn Brownie, now I'll have to try one out! Thanks Pal..

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Ya' know AzQ, you make such a convincing case for the Shield .45 that it's just about time that...I OWN one! My holster thanks you. My wallet, uhhh, not so much. :biggrin2:
The one in FDE is especially spiffy :yup:

Brownie, you should check out the 9mm for a back pocket gun. Size-wise anyway. Seems like it would be a closer replacement to your snubs.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have had my eye on one since they came out. Why did you go with the shield over the XDS? I think both are great firearms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one in FDE is especially spiffy :yup:

Brownie, you should check out the 9mm for a back pocket gun. Size-wise anyway. Seems like it would be a closer replacement to your snubs.
The 9mm would be closer, but my soul is with the 45. They all fall to hardball, and I'd hate to be accused of using a wimp caliber.

It's actually a great suggestion that I'll give consideration to, I have 3x more 9 than 45 [ 26k vs 8K ] in storage :biggrin2:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had my eye on one since they came out. Why did you go with the shield over the XDS? I think both are great firearms.

I prefer no grip safety on the striker fired guns having got accustomed the glocks decades ago. My commander has the xds 45, compared side by side, he liked the feel of the shield grip better, as did I. But I didn't know that until after I'd picked it up for lack of the grip safety over the other anyway.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I prefer no grip safety on the striker fired guns having got accustomed the glocks decades ago. My commander has the xds 45, compared side by side, he liked the feel of the shield grip better, as did I. But I didn't know that until after I'd picked it up for lack of the grip safety over the other anyway.
Sounds like a fair enough reason to me. I haven't handled a shield in 45 yet. I do really like the Springfield Mod2 45ACP it's on my hip now but it's no single stack.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Retiring the J frames? I just died a little on the inside...

I predict one will find its way back into your pocket some day.
I wouldn't take that bet against it

I myself have retired twice now, I see no reason to believe the guns can't have a second go at working and retire a few times only to be resurrected from the safes at a later time. :wink:

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I can't for the life of me imagine any polymer, striker fired pistol being the same as a 1911 in my hand. Certainly not the trigger. But I'm glad you like it and, more importantly, find it works for you perfectly enough that it'll be on you always. Me, I just can't like that trigger. It's merely a personal thing though. Plus, I'm just of the mindset that if I'm limited to only a couple of rounds difference (when talking an extra mag/speedloader), I'd rather go higher up the food chain to .357 (I'm on a .44 obsession right now so even that caliber is out the window :biggrin2: ).

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't for the life of me imagine any polymer, striker fired pistol being the same as a 1911 in my hand. Certainly not the trigger. But I'm glad you like it and, more importantly, find it works for you perfectly enough that it'll be on you always. Me, I just can't like that trigger. It's merely a personal thing though. Plus, I'm just of the mindset that if I'm limited to only a couple of rounds difference (when talking an extra mag/speedloader), I'd rather go higher up the food chain to .357 (I'm on a .44 obsession right now so even that caliber is out the window :biggrin2: ).
40+ years of looking, didn't expect I'd find anything either. And when I wasn't looking, it just happened. :35:

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
40+ years of looking, didn't expect I'd find anything either. And when I wasn't looking, it just happened. :35:
I've gotten a lot of my "really want to have this" guns that way. They never seem to be around when you want them the first time.

·
Premium Member
8,378 Posts
You sound like an old married man with a new young girlfriend on the side.

How much you want to be you'll be back to your old mainstay in a year?

·
Registered
10,306 Posts

He's just following the example of Gaston.

image.jpeg

V

image.jpg

Reactions: Dave909 and PEF

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I wouldn't discount it, but I moved from 40 years of 1911 to a g17 for near a decade before heading back to the 45 and 1911. lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts