Defensive Carry banner

The LCP "everone should have one of these"

3K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  1959 
#1 ·
I wasn't sure where to put this, so its here.

I was at the gym and ran into a cop I hadn't seen for about 4 months. Turns out he was injured
arresting a rowdy drunk and is just now getting better. So we got talking about his recovery and
he said he had something he wanted to show me. I thought it was his Rx or doc's physical therapy
instructions. Instead, he took an LCP out of his gym shorts and said, "everyone should have one of these, my gf got it for me, I shoot it better than my G22."

I've been wanting to buy one for months now but every time I go looking for one they are gone from the shelves. I asked him where she found it and he gave me the name of a LGS that didn't have one last time I looked. I am very very jealous. To make things worse, he had a really nice custom holster made by a local holster maker. That thing just disappeared in his nylon gym shorts.

I am green envious of the LCP, not his injuries. I asked if the guy he arrested was
going to get enough jail time to make it all worthwhile. He smiled and assured me the answer is yes.

I'm hoping he gets better fast now as I like sparring with him and enjoy his company. Maybe this part belongs in Bob and Terry's Place. You all can please send up a word.

See less See more
#2 ·
I am glad you friend is okay. As far a the LCP is concerned, personally Ill pass. IMO the gun is too lawyered up for me. I understand that some have a proper context for carrying it, but for me its just too small for any dynamic shooting...

Reactions: Snub44 and Taurahe
#6 ·
I am glad you friend is okay. As far a the LCP is concerned, personally Ill pass. IMO the gun is to lawyered up for me. I understand that some have a proper context for carrying it, but for me its just to small for any dynamic shooting...
How is the LCP lawyered up? The LC9 and other ruger autos surely are but not so much the LCP. It may have the read instructions warning on the slide but what else?

There is no loaded chamber indicator.

There is no mag safety

There is no safety

The slide doesn't lock back- is that what you mean by lawyered up? I'm not seeing it as being lawyered up.

#3 ·
Ruger LCP was the first pistol that I bought for my wife to carry when she got her permit. Sadly, it has been stolen by a burglar.

However, the LCP is a good pistol for it's intended purpose, self-defense. Small, compact, easy to conceal and the .380 cartridge is a bit less stout than the 9mm. There are some not so good things about it like hard to draw slide to chamber a round, failure to eject spent cartridge if the shooter limp wrists the gun, and the slide does not lock open after firing the last round.

It also is hard to hold if someone has a large hand and can be uncomfortable to shoot. That seems to be the major drawback but I did like the LCP and carried it once I got her the Ruger LCR .357 to tote around.

I suggest checking out the Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380. I have one of those and it is a bit better than the LCP in some ways.

#4 ·
I love mine. It doesn't love steel cased ammo though. I shot around 300 brass cased ammo with no problems at all. Then I found some 380 steel cased and shot 50 rounds through it and it broke the extractor :(. This happened Tuesday I called them that afternoon and they sent me a new one. Got it today (Friday) and had it in in about 20 minutes. It's running like a champ again hand cycling. Haven't been able to go to the range yet.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Fired one magazine worth through a LCP, that was enough to convince me that I do not want. My hand is too big, the grip is too small, or I've been spoiled by my GLOCK 19 and 26 but that damn thing is not fun to shoot. I will say that it would be better than nothing a bad breath distances.

Hope your LEO friend recovers soon and gets back on the job.

#11 ·
How many back ups to the LCP do you have???:wink:

#14 ·
Im not a fan of any of the super small .380's. They just dont fit my hand well. I have shot the body guard 380 and LCP both and didnt like either one. If I were to have a .380 I would look for a bersa or the ruger LC380. Some call it "lawtered up" but the mag safety can be easily removed and, I dont have to use the safety and everything else is no biggie to me. Plus, it will fit right in my ruger collection with the LCR and the SR40C

#17 ·
I shot my friends, and it was very nice, shootable with respect to point and pull. I liked it. However, I prefer the Walther PPK for no particular reason. The LCP is an easier gun to pack in a pocket.

#18 ·
Keep those LCP's clean, excess pocket lint will definitely cause you a FTF.

The LCP really disappears in a pocket, you can't take that away from it. It is not a good primary CCW, having said that it is the only gun I typically carry around the farm on a daily basis. Any other gun IWB, OWB, SOB will give me fits in my work. I can't do it, it doesn't work for me. Pocket carry works very well for me in my job, at least I'm always armed with something.

If I expect to go to town, or in some risky environment I ramp up to a proper gun. Just today I left from home and drove over to a very isolated hay field. A place where anyone could "innocently" drive up to me while I'm working alone. No witnesses, no neighbors, nobody. I brought my G27 with me and had it in the tractor while I was mowing hay. Never saw anyone, but you just never know.

#19 ·
the LCP is something i have been contemplating for a while now. i love how it is smaller and very easily concealed. it's a "no excuse not to carry" gun. just cant decide between this or its bigger brother LC9.

#30 ·
My feelings too. I want an LCP, but can't think of many circumstances where I could carry it but NOT carry the LCR, which I'm quite sure is more reliable, very sure is more potent and durable, and positive is incapable of being pushed out of battery in a muzzle-contact scenario. Plus it's hard to shoot accurately, based on the time my buddy was looking at .380's and we rented one - he went with a Bersa.

Maybe I can talk myself into buying one as a tertiary backup...

#23 ·
I looked at the Ruger and decided on the Taurus TCP instead. I liked the trigger better and the cost. I bought it for the wife to carry but I ended up liking it for my EDC especially for the summer months. It is definitely a pocket pistol, both are easily concealable.

#27 ·
All it took was one magazine for me as well. The trigger on those things is horrible. The day I shot it was the first time that my buddy that owned it shot it as well. He promptly sold it and bought a P238. I also have a friend that is a LEO. He bought one for a BUG. He hated the trigger and immediately sold his too.

#28 ·
I have several BUG's but I prefer the LCP-CT. I have put +/- 100 rounds per month through it for the past couple of years without a failure of any type. I carry it as a BUG in a Desantis pocket holster or a Guru wallet holster in lieu of a spare mag. I have also carried my wife's LCR-CT on occasion as a primary and also as a BUG without a problem.

#31 ·
I bought an LCP several years ago and I didn't like it at first. It was so snappy, it about flew out of my hand. So, I added a Crimson Trace laser, pinky extension for the magazine, and a Pachmyr grip.

With all the add-ons, it's a great little gun and it goes with me when I'm wearing a skirt.

#32 ·
I have owned an LCP for several years. I don't carry it much because it is not the gun I would want to have in a situation where I needed I gun. It does come in handy sometimes.
By the way, they are plentiful around here.

#33 ·
"be prepared" is the boy scout motto.

I am prepared to pick my nose and yours too if you insist on chasing me down while I'm frantically trying to loose you across the neighborhood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.