1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Recoil sensitive need not apply...

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
I regularly carry 3-5 inch 1911s and the horrendous weight does not bother me. I have no desire for a lighter than air revolver that tries to break your wrist with each shot. For a snubby I will stick with a nice all steel J or K frame.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I’ve shot one; and while it’s not a particularly pleasant experience with a full-honk magnum, it’s not terrible with factory magnums.

That being said, my magnum J-frame is an all steel 640 Pro.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
My 442 with 38+P is plenty to handle. At over 5yrds its not particularly accurate. I can't imagine that an 11oz 357Mag J frame is particularly fun to shoot and in high stress situations I can imagine folks shooting the ceiling with round 2-5.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have the LCR in .357...it is very shootable...but that gun will not handle recoil like the LCR...so, I will pass.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Nice gun, but I would not even think of shooting 357 loads from it. 15 rounds of 357 from a 2" SP101 was enough for me.

Reactions: ETXhiker

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I have carried a 46 ounce revolver for 10 days straight backpacking every waking minute with no discomfort from weight (Good belt and holster of course). I don't get this feather weight stuff for a grown human being to pack all day. My flashlight, Leatherman and even my wallet weigh more than that gun. I just cannot take that revolver seriously at all. A featherweight 380 I understand but, no point in a featherweight magnum.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
My buddy owns this revolver and I have shot it on numerous occasions, running both .38 spcl's and .357's through it. Shooting it it not as brutal as I initially thought it would be. I shoot J-frames a lot, so I have a leg up on how to grip a small revolver. Recoil was definitely sporty, but not unmanageable. I really like the 340 and it is on my short list of revolvers to purchase in the future.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Over 40 years ago I selected a S&W Model 19 with 2.5" barrel (all steel medium frame) for police plainclothes work and off-duty. Being pretty young and ready to believe all the hype published in the gun magazines, I tried it out with factory .357 magnum ammunition. The recoil was fierce. The muzzle blast was punishing. The muzzle flash was beyond blinding, especially in low-light situations. Ejecting fired magnum cases with the short little ejector rod was difficult, if not impossible (sometimes requiring a dowel rod and mallet to remove the fired cases).

I carried that revolver for over 10 years with good satisfaction, but always loaded with .38 Special +P ammunition.

I also have a Model 37 S&W Airweight Chief (17 oz. empty) .38 Special. I always use standard velocity ammo (not +P) in that little critter. Recoil is sharp with standard ammo, painful with +P, and accurate shooting is very difficult with +P (especially follow-up shots after absorbing the first shock).

Firearms manufacturers will make what the buying public wants, whether or not it is practical for the intended purpose. After 50 years of daily carry (24 years as a cop, 2 combat tours in Vietnam) I see nothing to be gained and a lot to be sacrificed with these ultralight mini-magnums.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I've considered buying this one a time or two but never pulled the trigger.

I was dumb enough to shoot a 357 magnum with no ear protection once. Thankfully I was outdoors. The crazy thing is that I didn't even hear the bang. My ears just immediately started ringing and did so for several hours.

·
Premium Member
33,892 Posts
I had one. They absolutely do not stand up to magnum shooting. Mine needed a new frame after an IDPA match, however, after 100 magnums in a morning my hands ached...
How many rounds before it self-destructed?

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I would carry it and not think twice about it. (Litterally, because
It's so light).

Chances are, I would never have to use it, but I would take it to the range every once in a while and shoot a cylinder full. I'm somewhat of a recoil junkie Anyway. 😁

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
1 - 20 of 58 Posts