Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday, my wife and I had stopped at a small restaurant on I-20 about halfway between Abilene and Dallas.

As we enjoyed a very good lunch, a group entered the establishment and walked past us to a table beside us. As they passed by, I couldn't help but notice the concealed carry 'look' most of them had. All were wearing a cover garmet, a couple had on tan photographer style vests, one had on tactical style tan pants and a 511 instructor style belt. Most were wearing ball caps, a few with gun endorsements. Several had noticible bulges on their waist.

As they went to sit down, I noticed the bottom of OWB holsters as two of them sat down and the chair back caused their cover garmet to ride up a little. One guy with a pullover windshirt on was 'feeling' for his gun and noticed his holster was exposed that way and quickly pulled his shirt down as he glanced around to see if anyone had noticed. Another made a clearly audible clunk as a handgun clearly hit wood on the chair as he sat down.

A couple were wearing ball caps with gun brand endorsements. One had a chrome AR-15 pin on his hat.

When we returned home to Abilene, I checked online and sure enough, there had been a big gun show at Ft. Worth that day. Guess this group was either on their way to or from the show.

To a knowing eye, their 'concealment' tactics that day were clearly lacking. To civilians who do not carry, who knows? I found myself thinking that with the 'look' they were all sporting, they might as well have been wearing signs indicating they were armed.

Me.... well my old Harley zip up Hoodie hides my OWB 1911 quite well and the only 'look' I give to the public is inviting someone who might want to strike up a conversation about Harleys.......

Anyone else notice this 'look' or 'unofficial uniform' of so many who carry concealed ?

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Being 5 days away from deer season opening in this part of MN, everybody has a "look" somewhat like that....:rofl:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Anyone else notice this 'look' or 'unofficial uniform' of so many who carry concealed ?
Ha! I've come to refer to it as the CCW uniform. I've found myself spotting several guys like that. Or wearing fanny packs at places where one doesn't usually wear a fanny pack...

at any rate, I've never noticed any sheeple becoming aware. but if they did, would we really call them sheeple?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being 5 days away from deer season opening in this part of MN, everybody has a "look" somewhat like that....:rofl:
Hey Jimmy !

Down here, whenever deer season rolls around, I wish I would have invested hesvily in camo clothing stock !

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
There are also some who carry that want everyone to know about it and and are real obvious about it

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Did they have the CCW swagger or saunter type walk

·
Registered
284 Posts
well you could look at it 2 ways...if ppl realize you're carrying,they would avoid robbing you....or blending in is better,so you shouldn't wear "gunny" stuff.I go back and forth..I guess I am somewhere in the middle..I wear vests(but not the 5.11 type)I don't wear gun hats or shirts....I don't judge those who wear gun stuff or fanny packs though.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
Sounds to me like a very safe place to have lunch.:yup::hand10::congrats:

·
Registered
108 Posts
As long as it wasn't showing, I don't mind their attire. If I was a criminal, I'd probably stay away.

·
Registered
571 Posts
On this same topic, I stumbled across this the other day: GUN T-SHIRTS - WearAGun.com. Your fellow restaurant patrons might as well have been wearing one of these...

Seriously though... it gives CC'ers a bad rep... makes us seem like a bunch of mall ninjas.

It is interesting how I've started noticing things and how some people telegraph more than they should. I saw a guy with a short sleeve Glock t-shirt, jeans, and an ankle bulge. I'm thinking wow... incognito! It's only 90 degrees with 85% humidity and you're wearing jeans and a gun t-shirt.

Then yesterday at work a dude with a fanny pack was walking around the store... except when he went to get his phone it was in his front pocket and his wallet was in his back pocket. I don't think he was carrying his insulin around in there...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I guess I would call that being aware of your surroundings. I see people all the time at lunch sitting on the outside of a booth and notice their holster printing or the bottom hanging out. I myself "conceal" where there is no doubt in my mind I am in complete cover up. Most of my close friends I am around on a daily basis legal carry as well. Every once in a while we will point out to each other if one is printing or not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
and to think...i bought a fanny pack because i thought it looked ***** and no one would suspect i was carrying..go figure:confused:

·
Banned
908 Posts
I ALWAYS wear an NRA or otherwise gun related ballcap, even when I'm not carrying, ESPECIALLY on my once a year trips to Apartheid Chicago.

I'm not ashamed to be a gun owner, nor am I ashamed for people to know it.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I'm not ashamed of being a gun owner. I just don't want to be singled out. Trouble happens even if your not breaking the law. Its the stereotyping that gets us in trouble.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I'm not ashamed to be a gun owner, nor am I ashamed for people to know it.
I don't think anyone who would bother posting on these forums is ashamed of anything regarding their guns... just not interested in being a beacon.

·
Banned
908 Posts
I'm not ashamed of being a gun owner. I just don't want to be singled out. Trouble happens even if your not breaking the law. Its the stereotyping that gets us in trouble.
What kind of "trouble" is going to arise from me wearing an NRA ballcap?

1 - 20 of 82 Posts