1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Kewl ... would have loved to see it.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Not to say that isn't impressive. But, if you think that is the mother of all flyovers you should have been around before we gave away most of our B52s.......

Minimal Interval Takeoffs back in the SAC days.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Not to say that isn't impressive. But, if you think that is the mother of all flyovers you should have been around before we gave away most of our B52s.......

Gosh look at all that air pollution!
Now that will really have those climate change folks up in arms.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,160 Posts
Back at the last Wings Over Wayne there was a demonstration by an F-35, that airplane can turn tighter than any fighter I have seen.

Here is a flight demo from another airshow.

·
Super Moderator
19,243 Posts

Was that the exercise where the engines were started with cartridge starters? I tested a component used for pyro starters on B-52s in the early 70s.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Was that the exercise where the engines were started with cartridge starters? I tested a component used for pyro starters on B-52s in the early 70s.
Probably because it was a minimal interval takeoff so start carts were likely at a premium.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
As you guys know, I love airplanes - any kind from any era. BUT...when it comes to unthinkable threats, I still like the ultimate threat:

59735361-ocean-water-surface-texture-deep-sea-waves.jpg

Oh, wait. Well she's a bit hard to see and she does "sail unders" rather than fly overs. But, she and her sisters carry around 240 Hiroshimas and she's really, really hard to find, really quick on her feet, and even harder to get close to. But she can ruin a dictator's day. This is what she looks like when called upon to restore order to chaos.

Trident-missile-firing.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
As you guys know, I love airplanes - any kind from any era. BUT...when it comes to unthinkable threats, I still like the ultimate threat:

View attachment 310148

Oh, wait. Well she's a bit hard to see and she does "sail unders" rather than fly overs. But, she and her sisters carry around 240 Hiroshimas and she's really, really hard to find, really quick on her feet, and even harder to get close to. But she can ruin a dictator's day. This is what she looks like when called upon to restore order to chaos.

View attachment 310150
Those sub guys are just really, really into hide-and-seek. But they are seriously into all-or-nothing approaches. Now this is a precision instrument that is also unlikely to be seen or countered....

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
@PPS1980 True. I suspect these meet the definition of Teddy Roosevelt's "big stick." :image035:

I should add that there is a certain benefit to the "all or nothing" approach to dealing with the threat some of these idjits present. I grew up under such a threat. It does give one a certain pause when considering how to deal with adversaries.

·
Registered
893 Posts
What makes me nervous is having all those planes in one place - sort of like our Pacific Fleet years ago.https://www.388fw.acc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2050728/f-35a-standup-complete-at-hills-388th-419th-fighter-wings/
This article addressed that concern. Shows how little I know about these things. I couldn't read the OP's link because of my ad blocker.

What amazes me is the training and skill levels needed to get all this ready. How they can find enough people who are trainable and intelligent enough to learn and repair all these new systems is hard to fathom. I have to wonder what percentage of our population is even capable of flying one of these new jets - even with the training now available. Really, the same goes for those who must maintain and diag all those systems - and there are alot of different systems!

·
Registered
815 Posts
52 locked and loaded.
We sure know how to get a point across, hope the Ayatoolya is watching.
Now this is what I do not mind spending my tax dollars on.
Was this anywhere near you G26Raven?
Maybe it wasn't intended for the Ayatoolya, but the Iahtoldyas and the ne'ertrumperesistors, you know just to increase the shares of Charmin, Depends and Kleenex due to the massive increase in usage due to the STP's, crying, wailing and totally lack of control of bodily functions! :35::danceban:

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
@PPS1980 True. I suspect these meet the definition of Teddy Roosevelt's "big stick." :image035:

I should add that there is a certain benefit to the "all or nothing" approach to dealing with the threat some of these idjits present. I grew up under such a threat. It does give one a certain pause when considering how to deal with adversaries.
I was Strategically Ready Round the Clock against the Red Menace myself. That said, I have a deep and abiding respect for Boomers. Heck Missile Weenies only had to pull days on duty at a time, not months!

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
I was Strategically Ready Round the Clock against the Red Menace myself. That said, I have a deep and abiding respect for Boomers. Heck Missile Weenies only had to pull days on duty at a time, not months!
:image041::rofl:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts