Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,455 Posts
(unk ): HC-130P/N: (I do not know, but it's probably similar to the KC-130 variants)
Worked HC-130Ps at Korat, ours carried either one or two Benny (Benson) tanks inside capable of carrying 3600gals (23.400 lbs) and used a drogue system with 150 feet of hose for refueling helicopters. The main difference between the KC-130 and the HC-130 variants is the capability of using the Fulton Recovery System.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
well, not quite, but i assume that was in jest
"Dragging the fighters" is a term used by tanker crews. Multiple refuelings across the pond.

They're thinking you're armed while crossing the pond, at least some low-drag basics, like a load of rounds for your guns and AIM-9s.

Are you saying you're not?

Ahh... Answered my own question:

"“Are fighters armed with live ordnance when performing transoceanic flights?” Normally, fighter aircraft will not be armed with live ordnance for a myriad of reasons unless deploying into a hostile zone where combat operations are taking place and self-protection will be required. This is to avoid complications with diplomatic clearances, excessive drag on performance and range and to avoid dangerous situations if there is a need to jettison ordnance in case of emergencies. Most sovereign countries will not allow foreign military aircraft to fly over their airspace with live weapons. During Operation DESERT SHIELD to the run-up of DESERT STORM, F-15C Eagles did fly into the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia with live missiles, I understand, as they were expected to provide active air defense upon arrival." - Source

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
The "alert" load for a KC-135 was 189,000 pounds of JP-4, granted that cargo and Pax were not a consideration for that mission. I've flown many time on heavy tankers, lots of fuel, cargo and Pax, and you prayed those water-burning J-57s worked as advertised on takeoff. Departing Hickam AFB in HA with its "hard right" turn to avoid disturbing the tourists on Waikiki beach were particularly heart stopping when the water injection stopped early.
Interesting note about JP-4: While Navy aircraft will run just as well on JP-4 and we used it on land-only ops, in my day a plane could not land on a carrier with any JP-4 in it, due to the lower flashpoint. I think that is still the case. Only JP-5 is allowed for carrier ops. Sometimes planes had to be defueled and refueled ashore before they could come aboard. The Air Force tankers we worked with when deployed had to have JP-5 in them. JP-5 will work in Air Force jets too, but they are just not required to use it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The new drone technology is both amazing on one hand, but very troubling on the other. The things drones will be able to do in the hands of the wrong person or people is pretty scary.
i'm really surprised the FAA hasn't banned drones for civilian use. i'm aware there are limits put on them, but when was the last time everybody followed all the rules? sooner or later, the wrong person is gonna fly a drone, an airliner is gonna hit one, and then...

and yes, i have experience at this, also. i was pilot in commercial aviation for 23 years until the FAA made me quit

·
Registered
42,863 Posts
Interesting note about JP-4: While Navy aircraft will run just as well on JP-4 and we used it on land-only ops, in my day a plane could not land on a carrier with any JP-4 in it, due to the lower flashpoint. I think that is still the case. Only JP-5 is allowed for carrier ops. Sometimes planes had to be defueled and refueled ashore before they could come aboard. The Air Force tankers we worked with when deployed had to have JP-5 in them. JP-5 will work in Air Force jets too, but they are just not required to use it.
I can remember a couple TDYs where we had to use JP-5 or JP-8, can't remember which, and the jet troops would have to change the fuel control adjustment a couple of clicks. I never had to recalibrate the FQ indicators as they self adjusted. According to the -1 manual, those old J-57s would run on about anything from kerosene to diesel fuel in an emergency situation.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
JP-5 will work in Air Force jets too, but they are just not required to use it.
back in my day, in fighters, JP-5 was an alternate fuel; okay for use if you couldn't get JP-4. i don't remember ever flying with JP-5, although that could be wrong. my understanding is that since i left the service, the AF has gone to JP-8. higher flash point, so less risk from small arms fire

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
oh, and.....

They're thinking you're armed while crossing the pond, at least some low-drag basics, like a load of rounds for your guns and AIM-9s.
...if they look out at four F-16s and don't know if they've got missiles strapped to their wings or not, well, that oughta tell ya just about everything you need to know about all the 'aviators' inside those tankers. LOL

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
i'm really surprised the FAA hasn't banned drones for civilian use. i'm aware there are limits put on them, but when was the last time everybody followed all the rules? sooner or later, the wrong person is gonna fly a drone, an airliner is gonna hit one, and then...

and yes, i have experience at this, also. i was pilot in commercial aviation for 23 years until the FAA made me quit
My experience in the Navy was that light planes were a greater threat than drones could ever be. Drones are illegal above 400 feet and require special authorization to fly in controlled airspace. There are a whole host of other rules, just like there are for airplane pilots.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
light planes are a threat. but that's another subject. i was alluding to the 400 foot rule. and you think everybody adheres to that? only gonna take one guy to fly his drone at a thousand feet in the wrong airspace, and i have no doubt that accident is going to occur sometime. but obviously, the FAA and i see it differently

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
light planes are a threat. but that's another subject. i was alluding to the 400 foot rule. and you think everybody adheres to that? only gonna take one guy to fly his drone at a thousand feet in the wrong airspace, and i have no doubt that accident is going to occur sometime. but obviously, the FAA and i see it differently
So you think they should be banned because some people will violate the law with them. That is the same argument the left uses about guns. And yes, there is no BOR amendment for drones, but I still don't like that "Minority Report" way of thinking by the government.

BTW, I have done management consulting for the FAA at its HQ in DC. They are a bunch of boobs. People have a lot more to worry about with them than their drone rules, big time.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i think they're an accident waiting to happen. i don't think someone will attack an airliner with a drone, but i think a collision is going to happen. it's not like guns; that's a false equivalence.

a heck of a lot of FAA guys are pilots that couldn't get airlines jobs, so they're p!ssed off. i don't know anybody that thinks very highly of them. let's be honest - they're just another government bureaucracy.

·
Registered
42,863 Posts
oh, and.....

...if they look out at four F-16s and don't know if they've got missiles strapped to their wings or not, well, that oughta tell ya just about everything you need to know about all the 'aviators' inside those tankers. LOL
I'm not an aviator, but I'll take a wild guess and say this old bird being dragged across the jungle is armed. (Pic by OV)

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
we're talking about hopping the pond. every last drop of gas is important when you're hours from land, and you don't need the increased drag a load like that would cause. i've driven an F-16 from West Germany to Shaw AFB, SC, and we wouldn't even consider carrying a load like that. four cans of CBU out over the north Atlantic? YGBSM. what are we gonna do - attack Greenland?

seems like you have better eyes than the 'aviators' out there. LOL

·
Registered
42,863 Posts
we're talking about hopping the pond. every last drop of gas is important when you're hours from land, and you don't need the increased drag a load like that would cause. i've driven an F-16 from West Germany to Shaw AFB, SC, and we wouldn't even consider carrying a load like that. four cans of CBU out over the north Atlantic? YGBSM. what are we gonna do - attack Greenland?

seems like you have better eyes than the 'aviators' out there. LOL
Very good, Captain Obvious, but I didn't have any pics of ferry flying over water.

Oh wait, here's one flying over water, sort of.

Reactions: since9

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
so over land is the same thing, huh? LOL. cripes. i've refueled a ton of times while armed, but i wasn't armed while hopping the north atlantic or the pacific. does that straighten this out for you?

·
Registered
12,177 Posts
I have "hopped the pond" in a tactical aircraft and it would make no sense to go armed. A ferry flight and a combat flight are two entirely different things. We would use all our hard points for drop tanks.

Planes can refuel armed in a combat zone, but that is to top them off for longer missions or keep them on station longer so you can minimize your sortie cycles.

·
Registered
42,863 Posts
so over land is the same thing, huh? LOL. cripes. i've refueled a ton of times while armed, but not while hopping the north atlantic. does that straighten this out for you?
I'm way too crooked to ever be straightened out. Thinking back to going from AK to Korea with some A-10s, I don't recall unloading the 30mm for the flight nor do I recall uploading live ammo upon landing. But my memory of things 35 years ago can be a bit hazy. Two fuel tanks and a travel pod under the wings. Any full ammo downloaded from an A-10 has to be replaced with empty casings to keep the aircraft from setting on its tail.

Reactions: since9
21 - 40 of 57 Posts