Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread a few days ago where I was trying to decide between the Stag Model 2 or the S&W M&P 15 for my first AR. I had decided on the Stag but then today I read about the Ruger SR-556 and I saw a segment on the rifle on tonight's Guns & Ammo TV show!

I really like the look of this gun and I am intrigued by the claims that it being a piston driven gun instead of a direct gas impingement system, that the gun runs cleaner and cooler than a standard AR.

It's a bit out of my price range (at least by the MSRP) but I sure like the way it looks)

I doubt anyone has one of these yet (I could be wrong and if I am please post your experiences with the gun) but has anyone else researched this rifle and if so, I'd like to hear thoughts on it.

If you want to see the page on Ruger's web site you can find it HERE

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I played with one at the local gunne shoppe; I like it, but it's a heavy tank of a rifle.

Piston systems do run cooler & cleaner at the bolt than DGI guns, that's a fact; however, for most recreational shooters, that's a non-issue; it really only rears it's head under extremely adverse conditions, when shooting full-auto, or when using a supressor.

I think it's a cool rifle, but at that price point, I think I'd rather get a Colt 6940 or a Noveske.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Its far overpriced. If you really want one, I'd wait until the market cools off on them. You should be able to pick one up at a reasonable price in a year or two.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The "expert" behind the counter at my local gunshop told me they have been having problems with the bolt. Apparently the piston has been driving the bolt back at an angle resulting in some metal getting shaved off. He didn't clarify too much more, seemed to be of the opinion that no one should buy a Ruger firearm until 1 year in or "after the first recall."

I've played with a few at stores and I saw someone shooting one at the 50 yard line with all sorts of stupid attachments on it, seemed like he was getting good groups.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Rainyday, that phenomenon is called "carrier tilt", and is more or less present in about every op-rod driven AR unless some clever design changes are given to the bolt or to the buffer (this link also has some pictures of what's getting 'shaved off' due to carrier tilt). Personally, I love the way the KAC PDW and Remington/Bushmaster ACR handle this, but that's my personal opinion.

I agree with SIXTO. You can do much better for the same money.

-B

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'm with Sixto on this one; not to mention the inevitable bugs that always seem to occur with Ruger's new product entries, I'll just hang back for a year or two and look and see......

Or, I will just buy a piston top end for $400 from somebody and retrofit what I already have....

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I'll wait for the post recall models to come out LOL I kid I kid!

I agree with SIXTO on this one, wait for it to go down in price.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
I don't know what in the heck has gotten into me, but I am tending to agree with SIXTO a lot lately!

By the way just to add a bit more, don't be the guinea pig on this new rig. Let them get a few under their belt.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Good news, Stag has a piston gun in left and right versions.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just can't trust it. I'd wait until it's proven or go with another version of the piston system.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Haven't heard much about the Ruger yet..but if you like piston AR platforms check out LWRC. They seem to have a "cult" following. Only hear good things about their rifles.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I'm hoping they turn out to be good rifles. Local shop just got some in and they look nice for $1499. Little heavy up front but that's expected with the piston and Troy quad rail.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Looks like a nice rifle, but not enough to make me want to pay $2,000 for a basic AR.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Looks like a nice rifle, but not enough to make me want to pay $2,000 for a basic AR.
Are they really going for that much? A shop here has them for $1499 new. Seemed like a decent price for a piston AR and other equipment.

·
Registered
261 Posts
yea....bout $1500 should be the norm..... have not heard from a hands on point of view, but seems to have lots of neat things to it....... primarily on MY list is the adjustable piston control. 4 diff. settings for diff. ammo. Lets you shoot great ammo to crappy ammo just by adjusting the gas control. Even has a setting to lock the bolt for single shot use with a suppressor! :)

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
yea....bout $1500 should be the norm..... have not heard from a hands on point of view, but seems to have lots of neat things to it....... primarily on MY list is the adjustable piston control. 4 diff. settings for diff. ammo. Lets you shoot great ammo to crappy ammo just by adjusting the gas control. Even has a setting to lock the bolt for single shot use with a suppressor! :)
I have seen these go for around 1,500 in my area.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news, Stag has a piston gun in left and right versions.
Yes I saw that on the Stag website yesterday! And, it is going for $1145! That's a heck of a better deal than the Ruger.

·
Premium Member
3,581 Posts
Yes I saw that on the Stag website yesterday! And, it is going for $1145! That's a heck of a better deal than the Ruger.
Yeah I saw the model 8 on their site too! I am hoping they do a cheap conversion kit and I will buy that for my Stag upper.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts