Defensive Carry banner

The nightstand piece

6K views 59 replies 35 participants last post by  Roadrunner 
#1 ·
Ok - this is not CCW per se - it is really home defence plus a smidgeon of tactical -

Many (most?) folks mention what they have on their nightstand - usually carry piece or similar. Some also will have a shottie within reach.

My question tho is this - if (big IF you may say) you wake to find BG actually (heaven forbid) standing at your bedroom door - and let's say too he is good enough (bad enough!) to have a flashlight too - he will see immediately that you have a gun, if on full display on nightstand. He may even spot that 870 propped up close by. This will give him (IMO) a very useful ''edge''. He will call the shots - literally, with you having little option.

Now I have mentioned in threads before, here and elsewhere, about what I do and had little or no comment so - am ''feeling the water'' now. My carry piece (the SIG) at go-to-bed-time, is taken out of rig and placed on floor where my dropped arm and hand will reach. It is grip facing away from bed and so is in just right position to pick up with no effort. Furthermore, it is all but hidden from direct view because our cover thingie is long and drapes to floor - the gun is to all intents concealed (see - we are still talking concealed, LOL). Oh and remember, I have CT's also - no need to bring up to a sight line).

I therefore promulgate the fact that - with my method - you would have a good chance in the situation described, to sneakily let arm and hand drop under the covers, to reach the piece and thus perhaps stand a chance to bring it into play - a must if said BG was a ''non hostage taker''.

So there you are - ON nightstand??? For me a no-no - and leaving aside my scenario I cannot think it is more ''fumble-proof'' there than on the floor as I suggest. Possibly quite the opposite.

On floor? - more accessible, accessible by subterfuge and - if laid correctly, a no brainer to pick up into a shooting grip - even if only in strong hand.

Oh BTW - I sleep on the ''conventional'' side of the bed - right side and so I am good to go :smile:

OK - shoot me down :biggrin:

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't fault your thought process on this one. It won't work for me due to a dog that crawls under the bed at night to sleep. But she will let me know if a BG is trying to get in so hopefully I will be ready before he is in doorway.
Mike

#3 ·
I saw a rig advertised some years back and built my own version, very simple and very (I think) practical. A 6" wide piece of aluminum bent 90 degrees so it is 18" on one leg and 10" on the other. I pop riveted a 1 1/2 wide piece of webbing on the 10" side for a nylon IWB holster (left handed for me) with spring clip (slight butt to the rear rake) and the 18" long leg goes between the mattress and box springs and positioned so my right hand falls on it when lying on my back (I sleep on the right side of the bed). No extra movement of going under the bed or grabbing around on the nightstand, it is right where my hand naturally falls on it.

#4 ·
I second Mike's comment. I know you've said you aren't a dog person before due to prior experiences, but that's the big advantage to having a dog in the house (or yard). No matter how sound you sleep you'll know immediately as soon as someone is approaching your house let alone in it. I know - not really the point of your post but I thought worth mentioning.

A big problem that I have, and this torments me to no end, is I CANNOT shoot towards the door of my bedroom. That is the exact direction as my daughter's room. In the case you describe, I'm screwed unless I can position myself at a different angle. Therefore my ONLY option is to detect the intruder and position myself defensively before he enters the doorway to the bedroom.

#5 ·
Good Thread

There are some really nice new and inexpensive products "out there" that really DO work and folks can EASILY use them to harden up their home or apartment. They operate on batteries and the good units are ultra~reliable. They are usually UNDER $30.00 each & do not need to be hard wired in.
They will (guaranteed) wake you up BEFORE the bad guy wakes you up.
Battery operated Passive Infrared motion detectors are great these days.
You don't need to alarm your entire house if you don't want to - You can just alarm your bedroom.
You will need to do some careful PRE~thinking about the most likely ways that a BG can get to you in your home (while you are asleep) & take care of those entry points and hot spots.
You can work out an alarm location out that will allow you to use the bathroom at night but say...will still catch an intruder coming up the stairs or down a hallway.
You can alarm your individual bedroom windows or set another infrared to catch that portion of the bedroom.
You can do all of this yourself.
There are SO MANY products "out there" I don't know why more folks don't take advantage of the advantage that they will give them.
You can buy a cheap alarm door stop that you set under your door that will sound a loud alarm if anybody pushes that door open. I think they are $10.00. Hey, they work.
My home is professionally alarmed by Guardian Protection Agency so I sleep pretty soundly at night.
Having a dog in the house presents special problems with interior motion detectors and interior infrared detectors needed to be set so that the dog will not trip them but a human being will.
Naturally, I am not going into any great detail about my personal home alarm system on the web.

#6 ·
I once THOUGHT I had an intruder RIGHT outside my bedroom door. I fumbled reaching for my "nightstand gun" *3* times (It seemed like an eternity) before finally getting a grip on it. I just couldn't take my eyes off the doorway as I expected someone there any second.

Stress can REALLY make a difference. It is a good idea to give this some thought! Make SURE you can get to your firearm quickly in an emergency. I thought I could but I was really wrong!

#7 ·
If you think an intruder could "appear" in your bedroom, you need to make your house more secure. My house isn't Fort Knox but a home invader couldn't get in quickly or silently. If you don't like dogs, sell a gun or two and buy a security system.

#8 ·
Well, here's my intruder-in-the-night experience:
A noise awakened both my dog Tangle and me and she (dog) was barking loudly. I was awakened by the noise though and not the barking, so we both perceived this as a threat.

I immediately retrieved my 1911 with an M3 light and was pointed at the bedroom doorway. The light was already on; I don't even remember turning it on. I never was able to determine what the source of the noise was.

However, I had no problem retrieving the gun. But in my personal de-briefing, I realized the value of having a light on the bedside gun. If retreiving a gun is difficult, then retrieving a gun and a light is more than twice as difficult.

P45Carry,
By the "right" side of the bed, do you meant the correct side or the right side? I sleep on the left side. That is, my wife sleeps to my right. By sleeping on the left, I can roll over and grab my gun with my right hand fairly easily.

I strongly recommend a light on a bedside gun.

#10 ·
Armoredman - that first pic is certainly a simple solution, if headboard of that type. Only downside for me would be that it would possibly make for a rather obvious and awkward draw move.

FLM - I would not actually ''expect'' an intruder to ''appear'' but considered the possibility, tho remote. We are a family of four and my step kids have odd timings and movements - so the potential is one I cannot overlook totally. In fact as some here might agree - having late teen kids (well, step-daughter actually 20) still in the house does present its own problems - because of noise ID aspects and, knowing that there are ''friendlies'' there at sometimes late hours, still on the move. Gotta be real careful.

The motion sensor deal is a good one QK - but again in my case, it would be hard to set them up for infallible operation due to nature of house traffic. One thing in our favor - we do not live in a high income area - neither is it impoverished!! Let's say ''simple'' with regard to not being obviously a rich zone for burglarizing. Burglars would find richer pickings in some other parts of the county.
P45Carry,
By the "right" side of the bed, do you meant the correct side or the right side? I sleep on the left side. That is, my wife sleeps to my right. By sleeping on the left, I can roll over and grab my gun with my right hand fairly easily.
Yikes Tangle - I have been demoted, by over 50% :biggrin:. Hmmmm ... well I call the right side the correct one - because of man's position with regard to spouse when married - he is on the right. I sleep on the right and so regard this as the ''correct'' side - tho heck, it sure does not matter really!

So - I am right handed, right side of bed - and a simple arm drop under cover of covers is easy, and unobtrusive - with gun absolutely ''there'' with minimal searching. I agree about the value of a flashlight and could in fact fit one to SIG but as it is carry piece and normally ''sans light'' - I'd have to fit one on each night - may yet actually even consider that come to think on it. I do tho have a reasonable spare hi intensity flashlight close by.

Some good input folks - thx.

#11 ·
FLM, I don't think anyone COULD get that close that fast really. That is why I was SO SURPRISED that someone appeared to be shining a flashlight in my hallway.

As soon as I DID get a grip on the gun (I'll probably hear about this!) I immediately took off looking. When I saw noone was there I immediately went to the front window, then looked out the front door... then the back window and then the back door.. then I cleared the house. No one was found. No signs of anything. There really isn't a place to hide outside... at least nowhere close.

A friend suggested that perhaps a police car used a spotlight on a hill 3/4 miles away and perhaps it came though one of my windows. I suppose that is possible but by the motion I was convinced someone was inside. I was apparently wrong.

The point was that I had a plan but under stress I kept grabbing for it (my eyes glued to the hallway and the light) and repeatedly fumbled with it pushing it farther away.

Had someone entered the room I would NOT have been able to defend myself. I thought I had a plan but it failed. I think the holster on the bed (and LOTS more practice) might be a good idea!

#12 ·
P45Carry, are you trying to tell me I've been sleeping on the wrong side of the bed all these years!

Anyway, for some reason my bed is too high for my hand to reach the floor. Hmmm, cut the....

#13 ·
Interesting you mention this. Just this week I was woke up by my first layer of defense in the middle of the night. Dog barking. before I was fully awake I was standing and had my HK in my hand. I immediately cleared the bedroom doorway and investigated the problem (my kids are on the other side of the living room down the hall). Turned out to be a large cat outside on the porch. But got me an idea how fast I can be up and alert if something were to happen. My slip up. Forgot to grab my flashlight on the nightstand next to the pistol. Luckily , there is good light from streetlights outside. Maybe a light mounted on the pistol would be a good idea . Layer you defenses. No one should be able to gain entry that close to ya while asleep.

#14 ·
Here's an idea for you Rocky...

My PRESENT plan is to have the gun ready WITH A LIGHT on the rail but the light is not "locked" onto the weapon.

Instead, I slide the light onto the rail but not far enough to lock it.

If I need it during the night, I grab the grip with my right hand. (My left hand is empty.)

If I decide I need the light, I can grab it with my left hand, slip it off the rail and now I have a powerful light in my left hand. If I decide I want it on the gun (or have taken it off) I can just push it onto the rail until it clicks. (My light isn't difficult to get on or off the rail but it won't just fall off either without being locked.)

That way I won't FORGET my light or spend any extra time looking for it.

#15 ·
rocky said:
...before I was fully awake I was standing and had my HK in my hand.....But got me an idea how fast I can be up and alert if something were to happen.
Interesting how that works, isn't it! I experienced the same thing. Well, I was wide awake though.

I've just started carrying my H&K USP 9mm. I really like it which means I'm now torn between which gun to carry than ever.

Which HK you got - if I may ask?

#16 ·
I think you have things set up for your situation, and that is good. I too am a "right-handed" married fella. I keep my carry gun (mostly) a 92FS behind a drop down door in the head board. I have a 16 ga. shotty under the bed's overhang on the floor, and an AK hidden in a small sofa. All of this in the master bedroom.
But we depend on multiple layers of alarm, namely 1 outside dog with good vocal cords and an inquisitive nature. Follow that with 3 large dogs inside the house, 2 yellow labs and an Irish wolfhound.

#17 ·
I'm a bachelor again, so currently I sleep alone.....most of the time. ;)
I don't have a bed frame, merely a king box spring and mattress sitting on the floor. I sleep on the same side of the bed I did when I was married, which is the DOOR SIDE. I don't care if it's right or left depending on the orientation of the bed, my rule is I sleep between whoever is in the bed with me and that door.

My "nightstand gun" also no longer resides exposed on the nightstand, rather my Bulgarian Makarov is slipped between the mattress and box spring, with the grip almost completely exposed. However it is close to the head of the bed, so it cannot be seen from the door, because from that angle it is behind my nightstand.

Currently the door side is the left side of the bed, taken from the perspective of lying on your back. I am right-handed, and if lying on my back the Mak is on my left. However I am an "active sleeper" so there is no telling whether at any given moment during the night I'll be on my back, side, or stomach, so the gun could just as easily be under my right hand when I awaken. Not much to be done about that.
I've drawn it from there several times when hearing "bumps in the night", and found that the position is rather good, whether I awaken on my back or my stomach, I can reach down and grab the gun as a natural part of the motion of rolling out of the bed.

I also do feel much more secure with my two greyhounds to give me additional warning. I've also recently placed those First Alert alarms on my front and patio doors. I got four of them for about $12, they each consists of two parts, one that you stick to the doorjamb with adhesive tape, this contains the alarm itself, and the second part that is stuck to the door immediately opposite so that when the door is closed the two pieces are right next to each other. A simple pair of magnets is used to detect when the two pieces move apart, and the doorjamb part emits a piercing wail, or a softer "doorbell" tone, depending on whether you set the control switch to "Alarm" or "Notify". This design works equally well with hinged or sliding doors.

Not a bad setup for the price, IMHO.

#18 ·
I'm right handed, and I sleep on the right side of the bed.

I cut down an old leather belt, and attached it onto the side of my nightstand with screws, just below the level of the top of the mattress.

I clip a cheap generic IWB holster on the belt, as well as a flashlight in a belt holder, and a folding knife, and a spare mag. I keep the mattress about 6 inches from the night stand

With the night sights staring up at me, I can always see where the gun is, and I can draw it from my usual sleeping position, which is on my right side with my arm under my pillow, hand dangling over the side of the bed, over the holster.

#19 ·
logistar said:
FLM, I don't think anyone COULD get that close that fast really.
Did anyone see this article: "Couple survive 'scary' late-night attack." I posted it here: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3804

Allen W. Kirsch was asleep in his rural home at 1:30 a.m. Thursday when a masked man turned on the light, stuck a gun in his face and began cursing...

..."After we were awake, the guy asked us, 'Didn't you hear your (expletive) dog bark,' " Konwinski said. "They were very unpolite and nasty."

She said they had heard the neighbor's dog bark, but paid little attention. It wasn't until later, when they found the dog taped up, that she realized what the robber meant.

#20 ·
Tangle said:
Interesting how that works, isn't it! I experienced the same thing. Well, I was wide awake though.

I've just started carrying my H&K USP 9mm. I really like it which means I'm now torn between which gun to carry than ever.

Which HK you got - if I may ask?

USP .40 cal. , If I have enough time I can always pick between my AR or 12 ga. Too , but prefer handguns for indooor distance encounters.

#22 ·
As I've mentioned, I keep mine in my Safepacker holster, top flap tucked between the mattress and boxspring, so the open holster is where my hand drops down beside the bed. The pistol isn't on the bedstand or floor. It is out of sight, fully accessible, and can be drawn silently.

#24 ·
I have grand-kids, so I use a GunVault that stands upright on the floor, braced against my bedframe. I touch-open it at night, so my BHP with 17-round mag & Crimson Trace lasergrips is waiting for my hand to drop down on it. Surefire flashlight is on the nightstand just above.

#25 ·
Btdt

joe/OH said:
I second Mike's comment. I know you've said you aren't a dog person before due to prior experiences, but that's the big advantage to having a dog in the house (or yard). No matter how sound you sleep you'll know immediately as soon as someone is approaching your house let alone in it. I know - not really the point of your post but I thought worth mentioning.

A big problem that I have, and this torments me to no end, is I CANNOT shoot towards the door of my bedroom. That is the exact direction as my daughter's room. In the case you describe, I'm screwed unless I can position myself at a different angle. Therefore my ONLY option is to detect the intruder and position myself defensively before he enters the doorway to the bedroom.
In December of 1996, I was sound asleep on a cool night. We'd left ONLY our bedroom windows opened for the cool. I had the alarm on (screens) and the Glock near to hand. At that time our bed was situated so that my sleep position was closest to the window. About 0200 the alarm goes off. LOUD. I sit bolt upright and come nearly face to face with the punk struggling to crawl thru my window! Now you've gotta know that I have a rather SEVERE case of Sleep Apnea and I sleep wearing a mask attached to a Constant Positive Air Pressure machine, long hose and I look like TOP GUN when I wear this. It generates "white noise" so I don't hear much of anything. But I heard that burglar alarm.

So I see this guy. His face is 18 inches from mine (maybe) and from where I sat, he was head and shoulders inside the window but his HANDS were on the SILL outside! He gave me a funny sort of a look in the gloom, lit only by the digital clock kinda like Hey! Gimme a hand here? I THINK he expected me to cower and shriek like the sheeple of south Florida. I instantly thought of the Glock, but realized it was in condition 3 Empty chamber, uncocked and I wasn't sure if I had the time or if he was alone.

So I stood up as my sleepy wife was struggling to understand the situation. I yelled something like GET OUTTA HERE! and (I swear) I did a forward puch, putting a good deal of hip torque into the shot, keeping my shoulders square. Sensei would have been proud! In fact, he was...later. The BG falls back out of the window and I've got the Glocked locked and cocked. I run LOW to my daughter's room (in case rounds start coming in). At that point she was about 14. I DRAG her so that she's on the floor back to our room and she's yelling what's wrong? And I get inside, and see my wife is just PEEKING out of the window. So I grab her and shove her to the floor beside the kid and shove HER 45 into her hand, and tell her to IDENTIFY her TARGET before opening fire! She's quietly sobbing but nods. Then the phone rings and it's the alarm company and wife says BURGLARY IN PROGRESS and that's all I heard...because I'm afraid I have OTHER visitors entering elsewhere in the home.

Clear the house with Glock and SureFire just like they trained me. Nobody else. Then I pass by the Foyer and see....the 145 pound Newfoundland dog on her back all four legs in the air, legs pumping furiously (some dream!) and SNORING ~zzzzzzzzzssssnnnnarrrrk!~ She didn't wake up until about three min later when ELEVEN units show up and one K9! Then it was:

MOM! MOM! THERE'S A BOY OUTSIDE! CAN I GO SNIFF HIS BUTT?

To be fair, once the newfie realized that "mommy" was in fact TERRIFIED, she was RIGHT by her side and wouldn't leave it.

The knuckles of my right hand were swelling and red. A big fat cop with a heavy southern drawl plops an ice pack on my hand and says: "BOah AHHH think you GOT all the JUSTICE you're gonna GIT!" It seems that after I crushed a nose (judging from the blood trail) the punk stumbled thru my neighbor's eight foot thick Bouganvillia Hedge. In case you don't know, this is a VERY pretty flowering plant that grows B-I-G and has HUGE THORNS about the diameter of a pencil and quite sharp. The cops found about five large blood pools and a distinct blood trail right up until they lost it at a major intersection where no doubt the getaway car was waiting. The cops put out a BOLO for a perp whose exposed flesh was "shredded" but nothing ever came of it...hence the comment about justice. The next day there was a gun show and I went out and bought a great brass paperweight: KNUCKS. Leave them on the window sill every night. No more bruised knuckles for this boy!

But I learned another lesson that night: Our windows are not visible from the street. They were the ONLY open windows in the house that night. That means that somebody is walking thru yards in my neighborhood in stealth mode. I put up some guard dog signs all around the next day. Still, in MY yard, there were piles of elephant sized poop (produced by 145 pounds of rescue dog) all over, so I hope he stomped right thru it all and then walked it all over his car, home and buddies homes.

#26 ·
St Micheal, you and I think alike...
I sleep left side of the bed, between the more vulnerable window. Three dogs makes some noise, and while a Mosin nagant M38 is not the greatest home defense weapon made, with 46gr plastic tip training ammo, (46 gr at 3000FPS!), should make a mess of things, plus enough flash to fry them nicely....
The CZ is very easy to get to - the pillow is right over it, and it is completely invisible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.