Defensive Carry banner

2441 - 2460 of 2486 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
Before my time. :ROFLMAO:

Tinyman, OD’s one of the most knowledgeable 1911 guys I know, take advantage of picking his brain; we all do.
WILSON 47D’s are all I used when I carried a 1911, OD will probably chide me for carrying the 8 rounders like a Philistine, the real deal classic 1911 guys carry 7 in the mag.
You are indeed a Philistine, sir. ;)

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
20,104 Posts
I will admit to having a couple of Tripp Research eight round .45 ACP magazines and a couple of Tripp Research nine round 10mm magazines. I have 1911 magazines including Colt, Wilson, Tripp Research, Check-Mate, Chip McCormick, Kim-Pro, Mec-Gar, and one Ruger 1911 magazine that came with a used 1911. If a magazine gives me problems, I toss it in the metal recycle bin.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Sold my Sig 1911 to a buddy who really wanted it. I'm now down to a SA EMP in .40 caliber as my only 1911.

My EDC is now a Glock 43 when I am going somewhere civilized and a Sig P320 if I' going into one of our local war zones. Got a 5" FM9 coming and trying to figure out how to take that with me. Maybe as a truck or bug out gun.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
36 Posts
My two Colts. The top one is a .45 and the bottom one is 22lr. The .45 I've had since about 1994, and the .22lr I won last year at my local range.

I've trained with, competed with, and carried the .45 for about 8 years. It's had some upgrades over the years.

My son loves shooting the 22.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since it’s already here...

I was continuing my new carry gun touchie/holdie exploration of gun shops yesterday. But I’d read all sorts of much interesting posts on the forum of people toting the 1911 as an everyday carry. I already have the Gold Cup Commander, and it’s cool enough these days for an outer garment. Sooo...

I came home with a pretty decent holster and 2 more magazines for the 1911. We’ll give the old feller a go.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
My two most recent acquisitions: a pair of Hillsdale/Baers w/ the Teflon S coating in .45ACP. The top one is an SRP built around 2006, while the lower one is a Tactical Defense Pistol (1 of 100) built in 1998. I got both off GB for far less they they are worth as they are "older". Both are tight and the finishes are pretty-much unblemished, and both of higher build-quality than my new Baer Gunsite.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hello all. It's been a while since I ventured over here. Noting new other than putting the factory wood back on my SR1911CMD rather than the VZ slims that had been on the pistol for the last 4-5 years. I figured since I've been working from home since March 2020 and decided not to return to the office when it eventually reopens, I've made the decision that since I can now carry all day at home, it would be the 1911. Therefore, it better look handsome! Also, because I don't want the stinkeye from OD, despite what is shown in the pic below, I've gone back to Ruger branded/Checkmate manufactured 7rd mags in the pistol with Wilson 47D 8rd backups.

Cheers all 🥃

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
Looks good to me. (y)

Reactions: Camjr

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Before my time. :ROFLMAO:

Tinyman, OD’s one of the most knowledgeable 1911 guys I know, take advantage of picking his brain; we all do.
WILSON 47D’s are all I used when I carried a 1911, OD will probably chide me for carrying the 8 rounders like a Philistine, the real deal classic 1911 guys carry 7 in the mag.
You are indeed a Philistine, sir. ;)
Yessir, OD*, Sir! 7 round Wilson magazines. Check.
P1160861.JPG

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
Ok, Scott, you gotta tell us about that one. (y)

Reactions: WC145

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Ok, Scott, you gotta tell us about that one. (y)
LOL. It's a '77 Colt Commander with a Barsto barrel with integral compensator. Hand checkered front strap and MSH, hooked trigger guard with stippling on the front, Bomar rear sight, action job, etc.. The gun came to me without any history but I'm confident that it's a Behlert gun based on the work and comparing it to an old Behlert pin gun I used to have. Behlert used to sign his builds on the left front of the slides but this gun has obviously had the roll marks polished off the slide and my guess is that they took off Behlert's signature when that was done. I just picked this one up about a week ago, haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
I like it Scott, and you're correct, it certainly looks like an Austin Behlert gun.
Nobody did a trigger guard quite like he did.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I love it. Read up on Behlert this morning. I get to learn stuff here that is interesting to me. (y)
The Pistolsmith forum preserved a bunch of Austin's old posts here - Austin Behlert - Pistolsmith - if you haven't seen them they make great reading. Old school wisdom from the Man himself.

This is a pic of the Behlert pin gun I used to have, you an see the similiarities between it and the gun in my earlier post.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I’ve been a little surprised to still see multiple 1911s on the shelf at my LGS. The prices have stayed the same, also. I would’ve thought that people would snatching up auto-loaders whose standard capacity is less than 10 rounds...just in case. Also, .45 acp tends to hang around on the shelves a little longer than other mainstream calibers. On another note, I have seen 10-round AR mags disappearing a little faster.
Just my 2 Cents...

2441 - 2460 of 2486 Posts