2461 - 2480 of 2486 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Reactions: bmcgilvray and OD*

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Hey @OD*! You'll like this one. It's a '93 ORM 1991A1 Gov't .45 that the original owner bought new then put it away and never shot it. In 2010 he sent it to Wilson to be worked over, they did a bunch of work, test fired it, sent it back and he put it away again and never shot it. He put it up for trade on the addicts forum last year and I tried to make a deal with him but we couldn't come to terms. Another member traded for it, kept it a month, never shot it, and put it up for sale because he found something he wanted more. Now I'm the third owner, I've had it a few months and I haven't gotten around to shooting it either, been to damn busy. So it's a 27 year old Colt that's only been fired by the factory and Wilson Combat. Hopefully I'll get to it and the others I haven't shot yet soon.:rolleyes:

Here's a list of the work done by Wilson and a couple of pics-
  • Tighten Slide to frame fit. Very, very tight with no play. Documented on invoice.
  • Stipple front strap. Documented on invoice.
  • WC three hole long trigger with 3lb trigger job. Documented on invoice.
  • WC Target Bushing supplied and fit. Documented on invoice.
  • WC extractor supplied, fit, polished, and tuned. Documented on invoice.
  • Flush cut and reverse crown factory Colt barrel. Documented on invoice.
  • Dehorn, prep, and Armor Tuff complete gun. Black slide, Gray frame, black small parts. Documented on invoice.
  • Cut front and rear dovetails in the slide, supply and install gold bead front site, rear black serrated sight.
  • Fit and install WC hammer.
  • Fit and install Ed Brown thumb safety and contour to frame radius.
  • Blend rear of slide and frame.
  • Install WC magazine release.
  • Polish feed ramp and barrel throat
  • Fit and install WC mainspring housing
  • Install all WC springs
  • Install WC grips

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,296 Posts
Hey @OD*! You'll like this one. It's a '93 ORM 1991A1 Gov't .45 that the original owner bought new then put it away and never shot it. In 2010 he sent it to Wilson to be worked over, they did a bunch of work, test fired it, sent it back and he put it away again and never shot it. He put it up for trade on the addicts forum last year and I tried to make a deal with him but we couldn't come to terms. Another member traded for it, kept it a month, never shot it, and put it up for sale because he found something he wanted more. Now I'm the third owner, I've had it a few months and I haven't gotten around to shooting it either, been to damn busy. So it's a 27 year old Colt that's only been fired by the factory and Wilson Combat. Hopefully I'll get to it and the others I haven't shot yet soon.:rolleyes:

Here's a list of the work done by Wilson and a couple of pics-
  • Tighten Slide to frame fit. Very, very tight with no play. Documented on invoice.
  • Stipple front strap. Documented on invoice.
  • WC three hole long trigger with 3lb trigger job. Documented on invoice.
  • WC Target Bushing supplied and fit. Documented on invoice.
  • WC extractor supplied, fit, polished, and tuned. Documented on invoice.
  • Flush cut and reverse crown factory Colt barrel. Documented on invoice.
  • Dehorn, prep, and Armor Tuff complete gun. Black slide, Gray frame, black small parts. Documented on invoice.
  • Cut front and rear dovetails in the slide, supply and install gold bead front site, rear black serrated sight.
  • Fit and install WC hammer.
  • Fit and install Ed Brown thumb safety and contour to frame radius.
  • Blend rear of slide and frame.
  • Install WC magazine release.
  • Polish feed ramp and barrel throat
  • Fit and install WC mainspring housing
  • Install all WC springs
  • Install WC grips

View attachment 347307
View attachment 347306
View attachment 347308

Me likey!!

Beautiful Scott, appears to be a real shooter too! :love:

I am absolutely green.

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
Today, I pounced on a deal I found on Gun Broker:
A brand spanking nib Springfield Armory TRP five inch barrel 10mm 1911. I can’t wait and online it was at least $200 cheaper than anything else I’ve seen. Here’s a picture that’s a representation:

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
As soon as I get this one into my hands, I’ll post a video clip. But the other treat that should be arriving this month is what I ordered and prepaid last August: a Wilson Combat Carry Comp in 45. My custom “tweaks” added about $1400 to the base price of that item. When it arrives, I’ll post vids too. This is what the base looks like and I even got this color scheme, too. Black slide, OD Green frame.

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
As soon as I get this one into my hands, I’ll post a video clip. But the other treat that should be arriving this month is what I ordered and prepaid last August: a Wilson Combat Carry Comp in 45. My custom “tweaks” added about $1400 to the base price of that item. When it arrives, I’ll post vids too.
I can tell you this, I'm enamored with my WC Protector Elite!

·
Super Moderator
18,839 Posts
Could this one be the last 1911 acquisition for me?

In a sort of delayed reaction, I'm posting this one, gathered in last fall. Family events and the resulting responsibilities put it on the back burner. Well, that and a sore shoulder.

Anyway, it's a Colt Government Model British contract pistol chambered for .455 Auto, Webley Auto, Self Loading, Eley, or whatever it's referred to in various references. Serial number indicates a 1916 production date. These .455 Colts used to be fairly cheap and occasionally seen, but have become both pricey and scarce in recent years. Adds a caliber to cartridges for which Colt supplied their 1911s/Government Models, a collecting tangent I determined to pursue. This is about all the condition I wanted to afford in the acquisition of a .455 Colt Government Model

This one is a mixed bag. Was carried a little at one point, fired even less, carefully cleaned, then put away to be neglected for a period. Surface finish is somewhat impaired, but mechanics are very tight and pleasing and the bore condition is flawlessly sparkling bright.

It's neato for several reasons. The British contract Colt Government Models were assigned their own serial number prefix of "W". Chambers a cartridge only negligibly larger than the .45 ACP. The .455 Colt magazines will not fit in a .45 ACP pistol's magazine well however. Most of the .455 Colt Automatic contract were repurposed to the RAF and so marked. This one never was. Most were refinished, seeing some use as substitute standard in World War II. This one has a measure of its original Colt blue finish. Mustered out of service, some were converted to shoot .45 ACP (a practical conversion of the day). This one still retains its correct .455 barrel with its characteristic groove cut in the underside of the barrel hood as an aid in chambering the cartridge.

It's a stinker of a pistol for finding original magazines or ammunition. .455 Auto is a dead duck, has been a dead duck since right after World War II with no additional production to speak of. Perhaps some small runs of custom stuff is out there, but it doesn't turn up. Especially in this climate of the dearth of ammunition. Nobody's going to fool with making up supplies of an obsolete cartridge when there's demand for current calibers. Nonetheless, a custom case maker was found and a couple hundred cases are to arrive soon. A die set and shell holder is on order as well. I'm gonna shoot it.

Actually I have shot it with a mixture of World War I and World War II military ball, some loose rounds I've scrounged up. This was a perfunctory effort. It churned through the seven rounds with no misfires and no hang ups. Then I scurried home to thoroughly clean the corrosive residue out of the gun. I was function testing it, mostly because I yearned to fire it, but the sore shoulder kept me from doing a good job with it. Couldn't tell the difference between shooting the .455 Colt and a garden variety 1911 gun chambered for .45 ACP.

Standard velocity of .455 auto round is variously quoted at between 700 and 750 fps for its very blunt 224 grain cupro-nickel jacketed bullet. I'll chronograph test another magazine full to see if velocities hold true to published standards. Also to see if the rounds "got tired" over the years.

General Hatcher, among others offered that one can fire .45 ACP through these with perfect satisfaction and many probably have been used in that manner. We're going to have more fun doing it the hard way and providing proper ammunition for the pistol. There are some small dimensional differences in case diameter, case rim, case length as well as operating pressures and I don't want to break an extractor.

Military contract cartridges: 1918 dated .45 ACP with a 1917 dated .455 round (left). Need to retake this photo with a better example of the World War I .45 ACP cartridge. I have an entire box of 'em. Don't know why I chose one with crud on it. Perhaps its genuine, original, heirloom World War I crud.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
What @JD said.

·
Super Moderator
18,251 Posts
Very interesting variant of the 1911. Learned something new.

·
Premium Member
6,610 Posts
I can tell you this, I'm enamored with my WC Protector Elite!
For what I spent I’m less than thrilled so far. I had a ton of FTF’s and FTE’s when I first got it. Sent it back to Wilson under warranty and just got it back. She went a full magazine just fine and then I got another failure to feed on the next (2nd) magazine. I videoed that and sent it to Wilson. For the money AND the reputation, I ought to get ZERO malfunctions. I’m going to call tomorrow.

2461 - 2480 of 2486 Posts