Defensive Carry banner
2521 - 2540 of 2562 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,546 Posts
Courtesy of Karl Beining, again. He's killing me with his bottomless safe full of ultra cool guns.
He does some exceptional work, I'd love to have the "Basic Black Gov't Model" he has pictured in the gallery.

Reactions: WC145

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Both are Colt Series 70 MK IV.

Blue is 1973, bought from a local pawn shop. It’s had some work done but I don’t know by who.

Thinking about having the sights replaced and carrying it as my duty gun.

Stainless is 1980, inherited from my FIL at his passing.

Pretty much stock except for the grips.

·
Super Moderator
22,546 Posts
Both are Colt Series 70 MK IV.

Blue is 1973, bought from a local pawn shop. It’s had some work done but I don’t know by who.

View attachment 359052

Thinking about having the sights replaced and carrying it as my duty gun.

Stainless is 1980, inherited from my FIL at his passing.

View attachment 359053

Pretty much stock except for the grips.
I believe your 1980 is finished in Colt's satin nickel. Series 70's were not offered in stainless steel, stainless was first offered in 1983 (the designation of the pistol was changed to Colt MK IV, with SERIES 80 underneath, and Colt Government Model on the right side of the slide). The thumb safety is an Armand Swenson, or copy of. Good looking pistol.

pictures of colt's satin nickel finish - Google Search

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
One thing about it.

You'll never catch OD* out on 1911 guns. He's such a rich reference that he needs to take up where Clawson left off and write himself a book on the topic.

·
Super Moderator
22,546 Posts
If that were only true, Bryan. ;)

Reactions: JD

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I believe your 1980 is finished in Colt's satin nickel. Series 70's were not offered in stainless steel, stainless was first offered in 1983 (the designation of the pistol was changed to Colt MK IV, with SERIES 80 underneath, and Colt Government Model on the right side of the slide). The thumb safety is an Armand Swenson, or copy of. Good looking pistol.
Thanks for the information.

FIL had some strange stuff in his safe, but this was a good one.

Reactions: OD*

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
It was hard to kick the Addiction, but I think I've kicked the 1911 habit. Now I'm back to the Revolver.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
An Alchemy Prime Elite in God's Caliber, just received yesterday.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Gunsite Advanced Tactical Pistol package I just got, made in the mid-1990s.

2521 - 2540 of 2562 Posts