Defensive Carry banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I TORE MY TUM CHUB!
i learned a valuable lesson! i got a holster with no clip made by de saints, works very well! only i had my belt a little too tight and pulled the gun out and it only came out half way and got caught on my tummy skin and the part of the slide that is meant for your hands to grip it to rack the slide tore open my skin on my tummy and hip. i learned get a holster that actually puts something between the gun and your skin lol bled a lot too :p

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
see i was thinking the same thing i like the options but wonder if there will be a similar problem to the gash i just put in my tummy lol

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
When you use a soft holster - or this cancan thing which really is not a holster at all but an elasticized gun holder - you need two hands to put your gun back in its pocket. You also need two hands to put your gun back into an "unattached gun pocket" like the Sticky or Remora.

if you use something like a Vedder Light tuck, you have a holster which add no bulk to your gun. You have a firm, Kydex shell with a Kydex shield on the back that goes all the way up the slide of your gun.

If I sound harsh it is because I firmly believe a HOLSTER should be molded to the gun, should have decent retention and you should be able to reholster without having to use two hands - but always LOOK to see where you are sticking that gun in relation to the top opening of the holster.

Yes, I'm a bit prejudiced. And yes, I realize that most of us will never have to pull our gun in self defense, let alone to reholster it quickly so as not to get shot as the police are pulling up.

I have used soft suede holsters with retention straps and belt clips, unmolded soft leather holsters with belt clips, a belly band (two times), fanny packs, molded leather, combination soft back with molded Kydex shell on front and good quality molded Kydex. My opinion is based on my experience. Yours may differ.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i totally agree with you, what do you think about leather holsters by salvoy leather my father has a bunch of those but don't know if they make them for where i like to carry. or just any molded leather.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
i totally agree with you, what do you think about leather holsters by salvoy leather my father has a bunch of those but don't know if they make them for where i like to carry. or just any molded leather.
I've not heard of salvoy leather. I Googled it and it's Savoy Leather and their holsters are works of art, for sure! It looks like they are all OWB and have quite a bit of cant, to be worn behind the hip.

Leather holsters which are made well are very stiff - almost like Kydex. They are also thick and add bulk to your gun. Keep that in mind when looking at leather for IWB use. For me with a stomach that never did look flat even when I was a teenager, I do NOT need more bulk around my waist than what the gun provides. Now that I am old and "tend to slouch" it is a more serious problem.

You will find thousands of men who swear they would never wear anything except good leather with a good gun. All they have to do is buy pants one waist size larger. For me that is unacceptable. I do have a couple really nice leather holsters for OWB use. I very rarely wear them but they are NICE.

·
Registered
120 Posts
all my fathers are iwb/owb actually, they have loops and clips so watch what you see on their sites. but yes i have soft skin don't need no more scars :p

·
Registered
120 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
Thanks for the link to that picture. Interesting idea. Wide and Bulky though - but just the kind of holster that many men truly love. Again, a lot of cant, and meant to be worn just behind the hip. If you can reach your arm around and behind you to draw from that position, it is a really good one for concealing a gun because the bulk of the gun all but disappears into the curve of your back. I think.

That is the only position Gramps (hubby) ever wears his guns, but I've never been able to reach back there and turn my wrist enough to pull a gun out of the holster, so I have to carry just in front of my hip bone.

·
Registered
782 Posts
i guess for me this is my thing i think why i want a physical safety, its so natural to flick it off as i aim. but something i notice is if you think about it a glock aside from having a longer trigger pull and a harder pull it is no different than carrying a 1911 around with one in the chamber and the safety off. the only real difference is it is harder to pull a glock trigger and its a squishier and crunchy trigger. but the other difference is visual, you actually see the hammer is back. with the glock the striker is back cocked and ready to fire but in your head its ready to go. just something im seeing.
I wouldn't carry a 1911 chambered with the hammer back and safety off. it was designed to be carried safety on. "cocked and locked" most modern glock style safe actions type guns are designed to be carried with no manual safety. a few have added one to appease the masses and sell more guns but in those cases you can choose carry with or without. For example the wife carries a 9mm shield. It has a safety but she carries without the safety on. Thats perfectly fine for this gun as they make the same gun without the safety and it still has all the standard safety features it was designed with. However in general if your gun has safety it was designed to be use that way so you should always use it and train to use it that way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for all this information❣❣❣. It will be very helpful for people like me who are new to weapons and concealing. I really appreciate these posts❣❣❣. PLEASE KEEP THEM AVAILABLE❣ They really are needed for newbies❣❣❣❣👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Thanks for all this information❣❣❣. It will be very helpful for people like me who are new to weapons and concealing. I really appreciate these posts❣❣❣. PLEASE KEEP THEM AVAILABLE❣ They really are needed for newbies❣❣❣❣👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽
Welcome to DC. There's lots of reliable info here.

181 - 197 of 197 Posts