Defensive Carry banner

161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another great group is The Well Armed Woman. They carry lots of woman specific gear, have lots of informational videos for women, etc. The Well Armed Woman
I agree on this site, lots of info, blog and facebook page with constant updated articles, good info. I know I'm replying to an older post, but this will bump it up and I hope help someone who has questions.

Once I passed the basics, got the fever, started this journey, I don't mind moving away from the women threads and sites and just gathering all the info I can.
It is an advantage that we as women have more carry options, at least I think so, with all the holsters and gadgets.
Here's a cool bag but I am trying to find one less expensive with the same features:

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I agree on this site, lots of info, blog and facebook page with constant updated articles, good info. I know I'm replying to an older post, but this will bump it up and I hope help someone who has questions.

Once I passed the basics, got the fever, started this journey, I don't mind moving away from the women threads and sites and just gathering all the info I can.
It is an advantage that we as women have more carry options, at least I think so, with all the holsters and gadgets.
Here's a cool bag but I am trying to find one less expensive with the same features:

Do you have a link for that bag holster?

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
It almost pains me to say this, but looks like I married a Glock Girl, so I best get use to it. In the three months that she has been looking for her first gun, I had her try many. From the M&Ps and Springfield's I have, to several she rented at the range. Her criteria; Light, Fills comfortable in her small hands, Dependable, Concealable, 9mm, Easy to rack, Easy to Field Strip, and can be on target at 10, 15 yards and beyond, so she is not stuck on the 7 yard line - the natural competitor she is. She settled on one this last week, while renting one. The winner (choke, cough,) a Glock 43.

I seriously have a problem shooting them. I can shoot pretty impressive groups at 7 yards with most any 9mm, but this is the second time I fired a Glock 43. Both times it took me four shots to even get on the target. She had no problem though. She was sold.

·
Registered
120 Posts
thank you girls i am new to the forum, i have shot for years but am deciding to carry i have my license but i've been shooting a lot to decide what i want to carry and how. i hope to catch up with all of you i can when im more awake.

·
Registered
120 Posts
hey girls, i would like to introduce myself haven't been on the forum long but everyone has been helpful. i saw this thread n loved the idea i have been in martial arts training since i was 8, i am an instructor of a mixed martial arts street defense course for people who are scared or have been hurt and never want to be afraid again. i'm not as young as i used to be and this last time i had to defend myself i got hurt pretty bad and i was forced to do something i never wanted to do, but while recovering i felt i had been a bit arrogant. i'm no stranger to guns, i have been shooting handguns and rifles since i was 12, i have a lot myself and so does my foster father, i just got my carry conceal license and before you say it i know carry guns are way different i actually have been at the classes demonstrating to people and instructing them how someone trained like me can take guns away from even big guys. but like i paid little attention to the actual techniques and holsters and all the things i should have been paying attention to years ago. i have threads on my search for the carry guns and new to all of this so i hope i can learn from you and everyone on here to make the best decisions. i'm almost 5'7" medium build and mainly wear tank tops, t shirts jeans and shorts. i'm very familiar with 1911's but realize most will be too big for me to conceal i don't have huge hands or anything but a gov model is great in my hands. my father did give me his custom colt defender but it can be big in tighter clothing. hope to talk to you all soon. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
My wife is interested in a compact 1911 in 9mm for concealed carry. Anyone care to speak on their experiences with compact 1911s.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
i've shot 1911's since i was 12 and i'm not a big girl, i'm always reluctant to give my weight cause i'm heavier than i look as i got some muscle tone i'm almost 5'7 145 pounds and have medium hands i'd say. i just shot a micro 380, a sig p238 and a sig p938 yesterday and i will be honest i loved all three they are awesome i'm waiting to shoot the micro 9 when i can get my hands on one and today someone is going to meet me at the range with one but the micro in .380 was like butter and very accurate! as a girl that shot a 1911 so much there is something i will say to now im not sure but the sig and the kimber micros are that 80 or 70 series can't remember so its the one, if you cock the hammer back one click and pull the trigger it will drop the hammer where as the other series won't drop the hammer. i was told that won't actually discharge the firearm but someone please verify that with me cause it always made me wonder. So many people on here have voiced concern on the physical safety. for me its second nature as i aim to push it down and drop it off when i am disengaging a target it's second nature to flick it off. that goes with training but again my i have had a lot of trigger time behind 1911's in my almost 2 handfuls worth of anniversaries to my 30th birthday with another one is coming up have had a lot of trigger time with one. i would ask what her experience with 1911 is? but for me its awesome cause the triggers are so crisp, they are a harder pull than the 4.5 to 5 pound trigger pull i'm used to with the larger models the ones i shot are probably 6 ish pounds.
does this help and does anyone know if it would discharge if the hammer was dropped from the first click position?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi,

I believe I can help with this. I know of a holster called the Guard-Her-Belt-Thigh Holster that works really well.
Here's the link to it: Thigh Holster | Guard-Her Belt | Sticky Holsters

I like Sticky Holsters in general because they don't use any heavy, bulky clips in their holsters so they're really comfortable, especially with a woman's figure! Also, they use your body heat to create a custom fit around your gun. It's worth checking out :smile:
the link was not valid but i found what you were talking about holly i think maybe you linked when you were logged into the site? Search results for: 'Guard her thigh holster and belt' thank you holly! :) looks like something i may check out for when i'm wearing a skirt! i may have to call them cause unfortunately i have a larger leg than that the drawback of martial arts i guess.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It almost pains me to say this, but looks like I married a Glock Girl, so I best get use to it. In the three months that she has been looking for her first gun, I had her try many. From the M&Ps and Springfield's I have, to several she rented at the range. Her criteria; Light, Fills comfortable in her small hands, Dependable, Concealable, 9mm, Easy to rack, Easy to Field Strip, and can be on target at 10, 15 yards and beyond, so she is not stuck on the 7 yard line - the natural competitor she is. She settled on one this last week, while renting one. The winner (choke, cough,) a Glock 43.

I seriously have a problem shooting them. I can shoot pretty impressive groups at 7 yards with most any 9mm, but this is the second time I fired a Glock 43. Both times it took me four shots to even get on the target. She had no problem though. She was sold.
don't feel bad i am a good shot and of all the glocks i tried the other day that trigger had me all over the paper i was staying in the black but not like the 1911's or even beretta brigadier i'm used to, as i write this my father gibsed the back of my head and reminded me my beretta has a custom hand worked trigger that a professional gun smith made as close to a 1911 trigger as possible so its nicer than most beretta triggers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My husband sent me over to this thread. Lots of great information!

I just wanted to comment on the Can Can Hiphugger. I just received mine and am really loving it so far! It is such a comfortable holster and very adjustable. I encourage everyone to check out their options. Website is cancanconcealment.com It's such a great option for me as I'm home with my toddler most of the time and wearing yoga type pants, so I've struggled with a good option for carrying at home. I will definitely be using this one full time though as it is just that comfortable. Helps that it is cute too :) I purchased a size smaller than I needed for my hips and ordered the cell phone pocket extender. This way I can wear it without the extender up higher on my natural waist if needed, and with the extender on my hips. Really can't say enough good things about it!
i've been hearing more and more about these cancan holsters and what i see i love i think when i find the right guns to carry this will be a definite option!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Basically, it's like having one in the chamber. The hammer is cocked and if the safety should slip for some reason while carrying and the hammer were to fall... bang, bang.
i've had 20+ years with 1911's for me its second nature how i hold the gun but when engaging the target the safety goes off when disengaged its off for me its what we call muscle memory in martial arts training. you train doing something 100,000 times and your muscles do it on instinct. you don't have to think about it. now you have to be able to trust your guns safety. i know i had a 1911 once that was very cheep i cant remember what it was but it had a very easy to move safety i got rid of it quick it was dangerous

·
Registered
120 Posts
The most important safety on any firearm is the one between your ears. Always keep it engaged and you will never have a single problem. I carry a Glock every day and you are not the first to be worried about keeping one in the chamber. I have had those worries initially as well. Train your finger where to go when you pick up or draw your gun. Train yourself to verify your holster is clear of obstructions or loose clothing when re-holstering your firearm. After a bit when you feel your finger always indexes where it is supposed to give cambered carry a try. You should be always treating it as loaded anyway. If it is is loaded and chambered you learn that being safe is a must. If you get to used to thinking "oh my gun has no bullet in the chamber" you could become a bit lazy on how you handle it.
i guess for me this is my thing i think why i want a physical safety, its so natural to flick it off as i aim. but something i notice is if you think about it a glock aside from having a longer trigger pull and a harder pull it is no different than carrying a 1911 around with one in the chamber and the safety off. the only real difference is it is harder to pull a glock trigger and its a squishier and crunchy trigger. but the other difference is visual, you actually see the hammer is back. with the glock the striker is back cocked and ready to fire but in your head its ready to go. just something im seeing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I carry. I carry loaded with one in the chamber. U carry either my P238 or my XD subcompact 9 mm. I feel it is the only way my pistol will be helpful in an emergency. I am not critizing your choice just explaining mine. I own a purse but shortly after I bought it I stopped carrying a purse altogether.
i never felt comfortable carrying a purse i tend to leave it everywhere and loose them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The bra holster is surprisingly more accessible in certain situations for me. It really depends. With a office clothes and a long overcoat and my laptop bag and a bunch of work files, hip carry becomes a lot tougher to draw. It is very tricky for me to conceal in an appendix carry. As long as my coat is not buttoned, the Flashbang is a quicker draw. It's not uncomfortable, but it the snap has come unscrewed twice while I've been carrying (I was still at home both times, thankfully), and if I bend over or sit down wrong it comes right out of place and I'm sure it looks really weird when I fix it. It's also only usable for me with a Glock 42 with certain bras. The Marilyn holster is the one that tucks into the side, and that one is pretty comfortable, it's just still not that easy to conceal a Glock 42 with it. I have to dress around it. It's a quick draw, though. I can't use it with my kids around, they'd be pressed up against it while I was holding them. I bought it pretty much solely for using with a dress, because other than a thigh holster or purse carry, it's about the only option.

I don't feel comfortable carrying a Glock in anything other than Kydex or stiff leather, so the fabric belly bands are out for me. I got a Tactipac FusionPack and also a Crossbreed Belly Band, but I rarely use either one, although the FusionPack works fairly well and the Crossbreed works pretty much only with yoga pants while not doing anything more strenuous than shopping.
it raises a big in my mind, i had someone on here tell me don't carry bra holsters cause more than one time they saw women shot themselves trying to get them out. this sounds like a practice issue but is there something im missing? i hear so many women rave about them but that sticks in the back of my mind, hip hostlers could just as easily hit an artery in your leg, or appendix carry couldn't they?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The bra holster is surprisingly more accessible in certain situations for me. It really depends. With a office clothes and a long overcoat and my laptop bag and a bunch of work files, hip carry becomes a lot tougher to draw. It is very tricky for me to conceal in an appendix carry. As long as my coat is not buttoned, the Flashbang is a quicker draw. It's not uncomfortable, but it the snap has come unscrewed twice while I've been carrying (I was still at home both times, thankfully), and if I bend over or sit down wrong it comes right out of place and I'm sure it looks really weird when I fix it. It's also only usable for me with a Glock 42 with certain bras. The Marilyn holster is the one that tucks into the side, and that one is pretty comfortable, it's just still not that easy to conceal a Glock 42 with it. I have to dress around it. It's a quick draw, though. I can't use it with my kids around, they'd be pressed up against it while I was holding them. I bought it pretty much solely for using with a dress, because other than a thigh holster or purse carry, it's about the only option.

I don't feel comfortable carrying a Glock in anything other than Kydex or stiff leather, so the fabric belly bands are out for me. I got a Tactipac FusionPack and also a Crossbreed Belly Band, but I rarely use either one, although the FusionPack works fairly well and the Crossbreed works pretty much only with yoga pants while not doing anything more strenuous than shopping.
if it was a screw that is coming loose, try the red lock-tight it will be a permanent fix and will never come loose again.

161 - 180 of 197 Posts