Defensive Carry banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
It's been a while since this thread has seen any posts, but it seemed worth posting here now, as a bit of a follow up.

Today was the second time I shot the Rossi at the local range. It's an indoor range and 45 yards is the max distance. I was using a rifle rest, iron sights, and the target was at 45 yards. Fired 50 rounds of Magtech .44 240 grain FMJ. The stray hits outside the edge of the grouping probably occurred when I started working the lever fast, for quicker follow up - if not less accurate - shots. With a lot of practice, I'll get better with it.

R92_44@45.jpg
R92_44@45II.jpg
Rossi 92.jpg

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I really like this lever gun. And I really, really like the platform in general. Its more comfortable to shoulder than my AR-15 or SKS. Something about it just feels more natural when shooting it, if that makes any sense. Regardless, it's certainly a lot of fun.

I had planned on getting a .308, but have put that off for now, and instead have a Winchester 94 / 30-30 on layaway, at the LGS.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
It's been a while since this thread has seen any posts, but it seemed worth posting here now, as a bit of a follow up.

Today was the second time I shot the Rossi at the local range. It's an indoor range and 45 yards is the max distance. I was using a rifle rest, iron sights, and the target was at 45 yards. Fired 50 rounds of Magtech .44 240 grain FMJ. The stray hits outside the edge of the grouping probably occurred when I started working the lever fast, for quicker follow up - if not less accurate - shots. With a lot of practice, I'll get better with it.

View attachment 234570
View attachment 234578
View attachment 234586

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I really like this lever gun. And I really, really like the platform in general. Its more comfortable to shoulder than my AR-15 or SKS. Something about it just feels more natural when shooting it, if that makes any sense. Regardless, it's certainly a lot of fun.

I had planned on getting a .308, but have put that off for now, and instead have a Winchester 94 / 30-30 on layaway, at the LGS.
Can't complain about that target.

Know exactly what you mean about a lever being a natural pointer. Is one reason I like my Rossi Puma more than anything else I own. Not always the best rifle for every job, but easily fills multiple roles.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #144

I'm with you @Tstone - mine shoulders like a champ too. It hits targets like it's looking for them if I'm standing, sitting, or laying down. I'm in love with my little 16" 30-30. I took my AR home for the holidays, because I can carry ammo so much easier with it, but I regret it.

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
Why not get the best of both?

Browning 308 BLR takedown
Browning 308 BLR

This is my Model 92 in 357. I just ck'd tonight and it is first year production, 1982. 35 years and it looks like it just came out of the box. Found it 4 yrs ago as part of an estate sale at the LGS. Had to have it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Nice gun, nice target hits.
Thank you. I certainly took some time aiming for most of the shots. As the hole became noticeable, I just kept the little brass bead tip of the front sight on it and continued to fire at it. As the hole got bigger, it was easier to aim at it.

To be fair, I've yet to fire the gun at longer ranges, so no doubt there's still a lot of practice ahead.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
Well, I can get in on the lever gun thread now, thanks to my wife who evidently bribed the guy in the red suit big time. It's a Marlin 1894, new production, .44 magnum, 20" barrel. She's a little stiff in the joints now, but I think with a bit of exercise I can have her purring happily. (The gun, not my wife - apparently she is already happy)
IMG_20171228_181214200.jpg

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
I'm with you @Tstone - mine shoulders like a champ too. It hits targets like it's looking for them if I'm standing, sitting, or laying down. I'm in love with my little 16" 30-30. I took my AR home for the holidays, because I can carry ammo so much easier with it, but I regret it.
Yep. Almost like it's doing most of the work for me.

I can easily see several lever guns in my gun safe by the end of 2018.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Well, I can get in on the lever gun thread now, thanks to my wife who evidently bribed the guy in the red suit big time. It's a Marlin 1894, new production, .44 magnum, 20" barrel. She's a little stiff in the joints now, but I think with a bit of exercise I can have her purring happily. (The gun, not my wife - apparently she is already happy)
View attachment 234642
Congrats CG11, that's a nice rifle :yup:

How many rounds does it hold?

·
Super Moderator
19,227 Posts
View attachment 234642
Drop over to MarlinOwners.com - lots of good advice there on slicking up the levergun action. I did some modest work on my 336, and it's way smoother now. Two mods to avoid: don't use a reduced-force hammer spring, especially if you reload; and leave the lever detent spring (which keeps the lever in the closed position) alone. The other work is all worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
As a matter of curiosity, once you own a lever gun, is it unusual to find yourself getting an itch to try some single action revolvers?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Thanks, Gasmitty, I'll be sure to do that. Thank you for your tips, too, I will keep those in mind as well. :smile:
I agree with @gasmitty 100% It's great advice. There are a ton of things you can do to lighten up the action, and the guys at marlinowners sure do help. I know I went there.

All said and done, after cruising their forum for a while, I was ready to go to war with my rifle and do all kinds of mods! I was excited! In the end though, I took it apart and blasted it out with a degreaser! Holy cow was that thing a mess inside! Wood chips, grease... I wouldn't have been shocked to have found a dead mouse in there or a cockroach nest lol!

When I got it all cleaned out, I sprayed the thing down with a dry lube and off I went. After a couple hundred rounds, it's slick enough for me. Cleaning it made all the difference! Plus if you wait, you get to see where it does get hung up from true wear next time you take it apart, so you could address that if you wanted later.

I did fire lap my barrel. But other than that, I'm good to go. I still flirt with getting a new trigger, there is no question that the trigger sucks but in all honesty, I've gotten used to it and because of what I want to do with the rifle, I don't want a match trigger. YMMV. My sling is the best! Leather on a lever is king.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
As a matter of curiosity, once you own a lever gun, is it unusual to find yourself getting an itch to try some single action revolvers?
To be honest, I started with the single action pistols, but yea, they tend to attract one another. >;~}

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
Thanks, Drift. I think I will just clean it up (thanks for that; never would have thought it) and put a couple hundred rounds through it and see what shakes out. It's fairly smooth right from the factory, surprisingly, but does seem a bit "heavy". I think the clean up might address that as well.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
This is from today's range visit, shooting the (used) Winchester 94 Ranger, .30-30, with a 20 inch barrel. (I didn't shoot it quite as well during the first visit.)

Indoor range, distance 45 yards, iron sights, and 10 rounds fired. I used five rounds of Federal 170 grain, along with five rounds of Remington 150 grain. I also used a rifle rest, and took plenty of time to aim between shots. (More .30-30 ammo has been ordered, but won't arrive until Thursday. So just 10 rounds fired today. I kept the remaining rounds of ammo because I plan to go back on Tuesday.)

30-30.jpg

Winchester.jpg

This is the first rifle I bought that shot a bit above the bullseye, when I set the sight on the bullseye. So today I tried aiming just under the bullseye and got better results. However, until I can get the Winchester to an outdoor range, with greater distance to the target, I'm not patting myself on the back too hard for today's shooting...but I'm certainly not ashamed of the results either.

At any rate, between the Winchester 94, and the Rossi 92 - chambered in .44 mag. - my enthusiasm for lever guns continues to grow. And now I can say they both feel more natural to shoulder and shoot, than my SKS, or M&P-15.

(As a side note, I didn't feel any noticable difference in recoil between the two grain weights.)

141 - 159 of 159 Posts