Defensive Carry banner

421 - 440 of 475 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
I get it now. I have wondered what this thread was all about, and had forgotten that it was even here. I concealed for the first time (away from the range) at church today. Caught myself wondering how to handle the public restroom. Logged on today and there is the official restroom thread. I was wondering what to do with my holstered weapon when I drop my drawers. I guess I'd just do like others have done here and fold it over on my skivvies. I know I would not remove it from the holster. I'd pull the holstered weapon off and stick it in my drawers first. I will only unholster if I intend to fire the thing.

Oh the things you think about when required to conceal. Wish FL would go OC. I'd conceal, but at least I would not have to worry about exposing myself or keeping my over shirt buttoned.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm still pretty knew to CC but the bathroom thing has been an ongoing thing in my household since I was a kid. Both my dad & brother always gave me a hard time that I use(d) a stall.

I've never liked the idea of having myself vulnerable and back turned to strangers. In the rare case I can't wait for a stall, I use the urinal furthest from the door so I can keep an eye on things.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
At almost 73, I can honestly state that I have never seen anything remotely threatening or concerning in a public restroom, and that goes for tiny ones in remote parks to
large ones in Grand Central Station, NYC. I think the fear of physical assault is something that though real, is overstated.

For the men, there is however nothing at all wrong or improper about using a stall if that is your preference. Do it. Don't concern yourself with what others might
think--- e.g.,"I'm doing it like a girl." " My friends will think I'm a girl." That thought pattern can become the start of some serious problems

Some here might benefit from visiting these sites: Welcome - International Paruresis Association Paruretic.Org Shy Bladder Recovery Techniques Main Website: [url]www.paruresis.org - Index page[/url]

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
When traveling today. I use major chain Trucks stops . Since I was a trucker just a habit. Rest rooms normally clean lots of people in and out 24hours a day . Eat get a snack or coffee and back on road. . Atlanta Ga. Truck stops I pass by those . To much walking trash hanging around On down 75 maybe 30 min better place. . My daughters have gotten use to this. That they now stop at them When traveling. Safer than a rest stop at 3 in the morning .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use the Stall

I thought of this the other day as I was at a restaurant using the urinal. It's a really bad situation as your back is turned away from the door, or what's behind you, not bragging hear, but your hands are taking care of business, and you're in a really precarious position with "it" hanging out. After analyzing this situations, I've started using stalls w/doors, locking them, and staying observant to anyone in the restroom or coming in.
I was at a urinal when a guy came out of the stall asking for a few bucks. Luckily that's all he wanted because I was in no position to negotiate. I have used the stall ever since. When I get my permit and start carrying I will definitely use the stall.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
I was at a urinal when a guy came out of the stall asking for a few bucks. Luckily that's all he wanted because I was in no position to negotiate. I have used the stall ever since. When I get my permit and start carrying I will definitely use the stall.
Though I sort of understand your concern, really, are you sure you were as vulnerable as you think you were?

Many men, starting often in early childhood, develop the disorder, paruresis, in which their minds exaggerate and attach false meaning to bathroom issues; to where anxiety prevents emptying the bladder.

Some deal with this by becoming "stall men." And that is fine. Others can not use public restrooms just as some drivers can not make left turns or drive over a bridge, or as others can't get into an
elevator or an airplane. It is a matter of runaway fear.

I'm commenting because of the way you expressed concern about "not being in a position to negotiate." Seriously, are you certain you are not allowing your mind
to exaggerate the danger of the situation or your own ability to defend yourself?

There is a difference between situational awareness and 'hyper vigilance.'

Guys and women too, use common sense and ordinary prudent awareness of what's going on about you and where you are, and don't let your reptilian brain (the part that perceives fear) run your life.

As adults, and armed adults at that, as people (some here) with H2H skill, do what you gotta do however you find most comfortable, and don't overthink this.

Avoiding the urinal is a personal behavior which can have some long term serious consequences.

Urology Care Foundation - How is Shy Bladder Syndrome Diagnosed and Treated?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
That really really upsets the waitresses!

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk
I just piss in the parking lot myself. Gotta keep it classy

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Reactions: RScottie

·
Registered
676 Posts
In some movie with Burt Reynolds, he was satirizing EST. He ran a hose down his leg into a flask and when he had to urinate...viola!
Use that idea in a car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
As a woman of course I don't have the "urinal issue" but typically I have three kids with me in the restroom to keep safe. The older two go into stalls on either side of me when possible and the 2yr old stays with me. NONE OF THEM ARE ALLOWED TO COME OUT UNTIL I GIVE THE OK. That part I'm a stickler about and they know it. I'm last in and first out. I watch over them and watch every person that comes and goes around them.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

·
Banned
148 Posts
My question is: why do I have to stand 8 feet behind someone at a bank for "privacy", but only 15" away form the next guy takin' a pish, and the only thing separating us is a "divider", the top of which is 5" below my armpit?

I can see your junk, but heaven forbid I hear you deposit your paycheck?

Bathroom anecdote: I live near a tribal reservation. They have native hiring preferences and can hire anyone they choose.
Person is hired to be police officer is hired based on this preference.
Officer uses bathroom at grade school and hangs gun belt (with loaded gun) on back of stall door, does business, then washes hands and leaves without grabbing gun belt.
Student finds it and brings it (with gun unholstered) to the principal's office.
No action is taken against the "officer".
Yikes.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My question is: why do I have to stand 8 feet behind someone at a bank for "privacy", but only 15" away form the next guy takin' a pish, and the only thing separating us is a "divider", the top of which is 5" below my armpit?

I can see your junk, but heaven forbid I hear you deposit your paycheck?

Bathroom anecdote: I live near a tribal reservation. They have native hiring preferences and can hire anyone they choose.
Person is hired to be police officer is hired based on this preference.
Officer uses bathroom at grade school and hangs gun belt (with loaded gun) on back of stall door, does business, then washes hands and leaves without grabbing gun belt.
Student finds it and brings it (with gun unholstered) to the principal's office.
No action is taken against the "officer".
Yikes.
So what is your point?
1)All Native Americans are dumb? (This was not ALL)
2)All cops are dumb? (This was not ALL)
3)Some Native Americans are dumb? (This was only one who happened to be armed)
4)Some cops are dumb? (Valid point)
5)Some people are dumb? (Valid point)

·
Banned
148 Posts
So what is your point?
1)All Native Americans are dumb? (This was not ALL)
2)All cops are dumb? (This was not ALL)
3)Some Native Americans are dumb? (This was only one who happened to be armed)
4)Some cops are dumb? (Valid point)
5)Some people are dumb? (Valid point)
Read more carefully, please.
I said it was an "anecdote".
It contained the facts of a situation as reported in a newspaper. It did not contain any opinion or dissertation what happened. I did not editorialize.
If you choose to project your personal feelings, go right ahead, but keep them to yourself.
Just know that I did no such thing.

421 - 440 of 475 Posts