Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to share for those on the journey, here’s what I did today.

I fired a Wizard Drill twice. Of course I failed both times, however, I’m pleased with my times and hits, because even though I did not get my hits in the scoring ring, they would have all been easily in that upper chest zone.

And, amazingly enough, on both double taps from 10 yards, the times were both under the 2.5 second mark, and on target. Funny thing is, I missed the plate hitting high on my second shot from the 5 yard line when allowed to use a support hand, lol.
1E53B5F2-C834-4BC8-9335-FB1BBADDC4E3.jpeg

My second attempt was a fail too, right from the beginning. But I continued. The next pic is the results from the second attempt. I was really feeling good about this one too, because although I failed, the groups were tight, all under 2.5 seconds, and the holes not marked by a marker line are those shots.
Even the double tap from 10 yards was in time (2.49 seconds), and would have been a pass if I hadn’t messed up 3-7 yard shots.

61CAB4B7-3313-43B8-A0FE-42E3A966EBB4.jpeg

For my final exercise, I decided just to go all out for speed from 3 yards, strong hand only, drawing from the pocket.
The shots in the order they were fired and the times were circled on the paper plate as they were fired.

I felt really satisfied with this drill, even though I dropped one low off the plate, since the backing was only about 12x13 inches, and would have easily still been a good hit on an attacker.
A712CC26-B9D2-4E25-B543-2EB7EDC29DE6.jpeg

Here is my equipment.
FA4C9DCC-65B1-4DB3-9057-154E8630A3F7.jpeg

Please feel free to share your practice sessions, methods, techniques, and input here for those who are carrying small revolvers for CC.
We can learn a lot, and get good ideas and encouragement from each other.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to look up the Wizard Drill - here it is:

I'll be trying that with the pocket snub next time out!
Its a lot of fun. Make sure and come back here and share your thoughts and experience!

·
Registered
10,870 Posts
Many ranges won’t let you draw your gun from concealment...but nothing says you can’t draw your speed loaders or strips from concealment. I try to incorporate that into my revolver training.

I use the Stressfire technique, as popularized by Mas Ayoob.

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts
I'll try that with the SP101 next time I get to the range.

Anybody got a link to a decent timer that won't break the bank?

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
915 Posts
As I watch Ken shoot, the obvious and advantageous thing I see is his slight pause just before the shot. In traditional archery, I call it a "settle". It only takes a moment, but it avoids what we call "you can't miss fast enough to win". Some may be able to bypass this in time and practice, but we have to make sure that the first and subsequent shots are going into a very narrow cone of fire.

Of course you can't overdue this pause and aim and shoot slowly like a tank turret moving from shot to shot (like I was once told I did :rolleyes: ).

I think the tendency or urgency for speed eliminates or over-rides what could be an accurate well placed shot.. But I'm sure most already know this. For me though, it can be easily overlooked when trying to hurry. I think the mental attitude should not be to hurry but to hit that spot.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Another thought from traditional archery is to pick a spot, not the whole target. I forget the physiology of how that messes with the eyes and misses when you shoot at the whole target. But, a focus on - say the spot right between the eyes - or the dot on the paper plate - will help direct the shot to where you want it to go. For me at least. I used to aim for an arrow hole if I could see one and it works better than looking at the whole area - like the head or whole chest area.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the mental attitude should not be to hurry but to hit that spot.
The mental attitude will be to stop what is happening now...today, preferably yesterday.

Accuracy is irrelevant if it’s not fast enough, and speed is not fast enough if it’s ineffective due to misses.

Hence, the drills, which are designed to help you achieve a balance of the two.

Do you have any drills you want to share? Do you know what your limits are with respect to hits from the draw?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
I got myself a couple of IDPA target stands and some paper IDPA practice targets. I shoot the wizard drill cold with the 642 every time out. I have not passed it yet but, I am to the point of getting all shots very close to inside that little -0 head circle and I am beating the buzzer on every shot(s). Showing improvement in shot control is what its all about and its a fun warm up drill.
The Glock 21 is the only gun I have passed the drill with and only one time and that was also not cold. Tougher than Ken makes it seem, at least for me.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got myself a couple of IDPA target stands and some paper IDPA practice targets. I shoot the wizard drill cold with the 642 every time out. I have not passed it yet but, I am to the point of getting all shots very close to inside that little -0 head circle and I am beating the buzzer on every shot(s). Showing improvement in shot control is what its all about and its a fun warm up drill.
The Glock 21 is the only gun I have passed the drill with and only one time and that was also not cold. Tougher than Ken makes it seem, at least for me.
So far, I have passed it with the Glocks and the 1911, but it’s not repeatable for me.
Just started working with the snub on it.

One thing about this drill; it will sure bring out the strengths and weaknesses of each particular style gun and carry method in a way that you would never otherwise realize.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I’ve been scouring the web for “tactical” snubby training and have found several good drills. Wizard drill is one, the 5x5(x5) is another (5 shots @ 5 yards in a 5” circle.). SWAT magazine published a piece dedicated to revolver drills, nearly all of them are applicable to the snub. I plan on trying out the “Left, Right, Ready” drill next time I’m at the range. https://www.swatmag.com/article/rediscovering-wheel-revolver-drills-improve-shooting/

Grant Cunningham has also written a snubnose specific training tome, it’s on my short list of literature to acquire.
https://www.amazon.com/Protect-Yourself-Your-Snubnose-Revolver/dp/1520384130/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1501246177&sr=1-1&keywords=protect+yourself+with+your+snubnose+revolver&linkCode=sl1&tag=trevguy-20&linkId=be4188d010a5c8d8a5b7fd0711673a3f

·
Registered
915 Posts
Everytime I go to the range for whatever reason I make sure that before I leave I practice acquiring a good shooting grip, whether it must be picking it up from the table or from the holster if no one else is present on the range and shooting from 3, 5 or 10 yards and occasionally even 15, with one shot and then two as rapidly as i can. I save my targets, mark them as to what i've done and critique them afterwards, keeping pace with improvements. Sometimes to the head and sometimes to the body. Sometimes 3 to 5 shots. I have three handguns which I carry most of the time and I like to do this with all of them. I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to since my wife is now bedridden and I have to stay close to home more often now. I practice drawing from concealment very often at home. Clothing certainly can get in the way and I like to ingrain the different patterns I sometimes find myself in now that I carry. There were about 20 years or so that I got away from handguns and went into trad archery and hunting with many weapons. I soon discovered that what i once practiced and loved for years was perishable. That woke me up and I took a bit of training locally conducted by 3 leo's. They give a different and necessary perspective than the range gang I was a part of for years. It's impossible for me to train as much as you are and many here still do, but at least I try to improve my skills as I grow older.

I certainly understand the balance between speed and accuracy. I also understand the great responsibility of being sure of the circumstances we may find ourselves in. This is not VN where I had to fire once and called it a "no brainer". Now our brain puts us at a disadvantage over whoever could care less as we have to be sure of what we are about to do if the need ever arises. A simulator made me also aware of focusing only on speed after hitting a no shoot once or twice that appears out of nowhere.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Nice work G-man!

Knowing your firearm and what your skill level is, is an essential part of self defense.

My own times from draw are 3 approaching 4 seconds. Increasing my speed is a problem with the lack of feeling in my fingers.
To counter that, I strive to remain as accurate as possible.
At 3-5 yards, I rarely bring my pistol to eye level. 5-7yards is generally point shoulder, with longer distances using sights.
My groups tend to look like shot patterns center mass. Nothing to be proud of, but effective.

You have me curious how I'd do with my snub. Haven't fired it since last summer.
Have concentrated on the G19 and G17 as they have been primary EDC along with the LCP.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today’s practice.

Failed the Wizard, aced the 5x5.

I couldn’t hit the broad side of the barn today with the Airweight on the WD. But that’s life.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I’m not currently lucky enough to have a shooting range in my backyard; however, I have been practicing draw from concealment and target acquisition. I’ve also been doing dry fire drills. The trigger on that little 642 is gettin’ smooooth... :danceban:

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I got a chance to shoot the wizard drill today! 4 tries, 4 fails! The first try, I failed to get a good grip on the gun, and missed at 3 yards. and missed again at 10 yards. The second try I went over time on every target but I did not miss. The third I missed when I tried to go to a two handed grip. And the 4th try I put one of the double taps in the targets chin area. [ out of the scoring area]. These were shot from my 642, And from my pocket.

I'll practice this more often. It doesn't take any special equipment or setup.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Fortunately my range is out my back door and I will try and run this soon. Spring is a very busy time for my wife and I on the farm but I can always find the time put a few rounds down range. The wife will often ask what the shooting was all about and I'll look at her smile and tell her the tree stumps are planning an attack and needed taken care of LOL.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got a chance to shoot the wizard drill today! 4 tries, 4 fails! The first try, I failed to get a good grip on the gun, and missed at 3 yards. and missed again at 10 yards. The second try I went over time on every target but I did not miss. The third I missed when I tried to go to a two handed grip. And the 4th try I put one of the double taps in the targets chin area. [ out of the scoring area]. These were shot from my 642, And from my pocket.

I'll practice this more often. It doesn't take any special equipment or setup.
Incorporate that 5x5 drill. It will really help with the DT’s at 10 yards.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts