Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the title says it all, the one that got away, went by a local pawn shop saw a nice model 36 in pristine condition for 285.00 went home thunk about, went back and it was gone:gah:, so sad. Does any one else have a story about the one that got away? :confused:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Best way to avoid letting them get away is to not over-think things. You'll need to buy it on the spot next time. Plenty of time for regrets and/or explanations later. At least you'll have that good deal that could have gotten away. Don't beat yourself up too bad about it.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Had placed a bid on a Marlin 1894P .44mag lever-action rifle earlier in the morning. By noon, I had visited the local gun shop and was holding a pristine Winchester 94 trapper .44mag, for $395/OBO. I let it go, knowing my bid would be known before the day was out. Won the bid and have the 1894P but, when I next called the shop, I was informed the Winchester 94 had sold later that day.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I've got too many stories of one's that got away and too little money to buy them all.

Biker

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well, if this was about women.........

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Well the title says it all, the one that got away, went by a local pawn shop saw a nice model 36 in pristine condition for 285.00 went home thunk about, went back and it was gone:gah:, so sad. Does any one else have a story about the one that got away? :confused:
"a nice model 36 in pristine condition for 285.00"
Huh, what is there to think about?
You must not have Galloping Gunorreah as bad as I do?
I would probably have injured my wrist in my hurry to get my wallet out of my back pocket.:blink:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I bid minimum bid on a Smith 340 M&P on GB with less than an hour on the bidding and no other bidders. Went back to check and a few minutes later somebody bid the buy it now...50.00 higher.:gah:

But...persistance pays off. I REALLY was jonesing for a 340. I kept trolling GB looking for one. A few days later I came across the SAME gun. The original bidder was unable to get the gun transferred and relinquished the sale. I emailed the seller and paid a cash amount to swoop in for the win. :banana:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Nope, never happens to me. I'm a impulse buyer. I see it. I drool over it for awhile,:Eyecrazy: then I walk away, usually 15 to 20 steps and I turn back around and buy it. It works for me, but it's hell on the budget.:blink:

·
Registered
809 Posts
When I was mainly a hunter more than a shooter a guy had a Romanian AK for $265 FTF with 2 stocks, sling, and 2 boxes of ammo. I was just a young pup and talked it over with my dad (also more a hunter than a shooter at the time) and we hee-hawed back and forth about it, about how the accuracy wasn’t that great on cheap AKs. Ended passing on it and later buying a Mini-14. Shows what an idiot I was at the time. I bet I won’t make that same mistake again. BTW this was back when Wolf 7.62x39 was $89 per 1000.

Also a NIB Benelli Nova for $260. I don’t remember how I was so stupid as to talk myself out of that. One of those “I need to save the money for ____” moments.

Not so bad, but a hard deal to walk away from was a 4” Nickel S&W Model 29 with a sticker for $625. Figure I could have gotten it for $600. That was tempting. If it had been a blued 6” I would have walked out with it I’m sure.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I found a peach of a used S&W 3913 (non-LS) one afternoon in my favorite Gun Shop & mistakenly decided to think about it. What a Hamster-Brained move. It disappeared faster than Bigfoot.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
How about an M1-A1 walnut springer for $500 :(

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sure have. Buddy in Alaska had a Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver pac with all the barrels in like new condition. Could of had it for $200.00 but cash was short as an E-5 with a wife and 2 kids to feed back in 85.

That revolver was the most accurate handgun I've had the pleasure of shooting.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I've regretted not buying guns that I passed over, and others that I've sold and wished I hadn't...that's life.:blink::aargh4::smoke23:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The one that got away
20 or so years ago, when I went to place the order for my first handgun I fondled a Ruger Mark II Target, 6" barrel, stainless. Felt perfect in my hand. Buuuuuut, I just had to get that Taurus Model 66.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts