Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CBC News - Toronto - Toronto police seize 400 guns in safety push

Toronto police seize 400 guns in safety push
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 | 5:48 PM ET Comments59Recommend21CBC News
Toronto police have seized almost 400 firearms from registered owners in a six-month push aimed at reducing the number of guns on the city's streets.

In March, officers began soliciting registered firearm owners across the city as part of what they call the Safe City Project. Many of those who had to surrender their firearms had either let their registrations lapse, or had stashed their guns improperly under beds or in closets.

The Canadian Firearms Registry stipulates guns must be stored in a secure place.

No charges were laid in the push, police said Tuesday.

Targeting people who had registered their guns is a preventative measure, said Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair.

"Legal handgun owners are not dangerous individuals," Blair told reporters at a Tuesday news conference. "But we know from experience that their firearms can become extremely dangerous when they get into the hands of criminals. And so we have undertaken a number of initiatives to reduce the availability of those handguns."

Police estimate there are still 4,000 guns in Ontario that are being improperly stored.

However, a critic says, the push to target registered gun owners is not getting at the root of the problem.

"The system doesn't work. It's broken. It doesn't target the right people," Greg Farrant, a spokesman for the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, told CBC News. People who are barred from owning weapons are the ones who should be registered and tracked, he said.

There are about 2.3 million registered guns in Ontario.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
I wonder when the executions begin?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
I'm sure everyone in Toronto and the surrounding area feels much safer now. :rolleyes: Maybe we should try criminal registration, if not locked safely away, they confiscate them and dispose of them. No more criminal problem!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Just lost all my guns in a boating accedent :image035:

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Has there ever been a case where registration was not followed by confiscation? I can't think of a single one.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Every Incident of Registration has led to confiscation.
Most have lead to Genocide.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Police estimate there are still 4,000 guns in Ontario that are being improperly stored.
Suggesting the police are targeting just these?

If they magically know they're improperly stored, why don't they simply contact the owners and help them do so? Why steal the guns from them?

However, a critic says, the push to target registered gun owners is not getting at the root of the problem.

"The system doesn't work. It's broken. It doesn't target the right people," Greg Farrant, a spokesman for the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, told CBC News. People who are barred from owning weapons are the ones who should be registered and tracked, he said.
Exactly so.

Governments that steal people's guns from them are abusing property rights and NOT solving the fact that, after the raids, criminals will still have their guns. Such raids don't do a thing to help crime; they merely disarm potential victims.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If my math is correct, the 400 guns seized represent 0.000174% of the firearms registered throughout Ontario (2.3M) and only 10% of the estimated number that are supposedly stored improperly (though I have no idea how they determine this estimate).

I bet the peasants of Toronto are sleeping better already. :tired:

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
"We're here to confiscate your registered and improperly stored firearms."
What firearms? Oh, those old things? Sorry, but they were stolen years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts