Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
The problem with the video is that we don't know what ignited the arrest of these people. If they are allowed to open carry long-guns under MN law, then why were they arrested? I don't understand why the guy filming was arrested either.

Does anyone know if police officers are required to know the bill of rights and the US Constitution?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Here is the MN statute.
Giffords Law Center conveniently skipped over the specific exception to the open carry rules.

624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.
Subdivision 1.Definitions.

For purposes of this section, the following terms have the meanings given them.

(a) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in diameter.

(b) "Carry" does not include:

(1) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun to, from, or at a place where firearms are repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;

(2) the carrying by a person of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun that is unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, if the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and no portion of the firearm is exposed;

(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section 624.714;

(4) the carrying of an antique firearm as a curiosity or for its historical significance or value; or

(5) the transporting of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun in compliance with section 97B.045.

(c) "Public place" means property owned, leased, or controlled by a governmental unit and private property that is regularly and frequently open to or made available for use by the public in sufficient numbers to give clear notice of the property's current dedication to public use but does not include: a person's dwelling house or premises, the place of business owned or managed by the person, or land possessed by the person; a gun show, gun shop, or hunting or target shooting facility; or the woods, fields, or waters of this state where the person is present lawfully for the purpose of hunting or target shooting or other lawful activity involving firearms.
Subd. 2.Penalties.

Whoever carries a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person under the age of 21 who carries a semiautomatic military-style assault weapon, as defined in section 624.712, subdivision 7, on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a felony.
Subd. 3.Exceptions.

This section does not apply to officers, employees, or agents of law enforcement agencies or the armed forces of this state or the United States, or private detectives or protective agents, to the extent that these persons are authorized by law to carry firearms and are acting in the scope of their official duties.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
My career has had me on temporary assignment anywhere from a few weeks to up to six months. Canada, St. Thomas VI,TX, MN, CA,TN, GA, NY MA and on. I have lived among people that grew up with guns and those that never saw a weapon fire in their entire life. I have no issue with complete open carry in places like TX, TN and GA where nearly everyone grew up being taught about firearms. In places like CA and NY people run scared just at the talk of a gun and actual open carry is a call for panic on their part. They see a real gun in public and panic ensues. So yes I can see this issue from both sides and a lot of it depends on where you are when this is happening. When people are trying to protest and there are agitators among them the police have a duty to do what they feel will keep things from escalating. I feel, and I hope I am right, that charges will be dropped and weapons returned. Their goal was likely to remove the open carry from street to prevent crowd over reaction and photo ops being miss captioned.
Constitutionally protected rights are not flexible, the law does not allow for them to be bent or broken to "prevent crowd over reaction and photo ops". Getting disarmed, arrested, and having your gun confiscated by LE that has the intention of dropping the charges and returning your property later is false arrest. If you feel comfortable with those things you may want to read the constitution and reconsider your perspectives.

Harassment of the law abiding public is the fastest way for them to lose their confidence in law enforcement, no one in that crowd will ever trust a cop again making their job that much harder when they're trying to do legitimate policing. That's the exact opposite of what LE should be trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
Here is the MN statute.
Giffords Law Center conveniently skipped over the specific exception to the open carry rules.

624.7181 RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS IN PUBLIC PLACES.
Subdivision 1.Definitions.

For purposes of this section, the following terms have the meanings given them.

(a) "BB gun" means a device that fires or ejects a shot measuring .18 of an inch or less in diameter.

(b) "Carry" does not include:

(1) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun to, from, or at a place where firearms are repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;

(2) the carrying by a person of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun that is unloaded and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, if the case fully encloses the firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and no portion of the firearm is exposed;

(3) the carrying of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun by a person who has a permit under section 624.714;

(4) the carrying of an antique firearm as a curiosity or for its historical significance or value; or

(5) the transporting of a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun in compliance with section 97B.045.

(c) "Public place" means property owned, leased, or controlled by a governmental unit and private property that is regularly and frequently open to or made available for use by the public in sufficient numbers to give clear notice of the property's current dedication to public use but does not include: a person's dwelling house or premises, the place of business owned or managed by the person, or land possessed by the person; a gun show, gun shop, or hunting or target shooting facility; or the woods, fields, or waters of this state where the person is present lawfully for the purpose of hunting or target shooting or other lawful activity involving firearms.
Subd. 2.Penalties.

Whoever carries a BB gun, rifle, or shotgun on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person under the age of 21 who carries a semiautomatic military-style assault weapon, as defined in section 624.712, subdivision 7, on or about the person in a public place is guilty of a felony.
Subd. 3.Exceptions.

This section does not apply to officers, employees, or agents of law enforcement agencies or the armed forces of this state or the United States, or private detectives or protective agents, to the extent that these persons are authorized by law to carry firearms and are acting in the scope of their official duties.
No, its the third bullet.......

·
Registered
12,737 Posts
The problem with the video is that we don't know what ignited the arrest of these people. If they are allowed to open carry long-guns under MN law, then why were they arrested? I don't understand why the guy filming was arrested either.

Does anyone know if police officers are required to know the bill of rights and the US Constitution?
We were in Texas, and as feds.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
So then are we going with the assumption that the AR guys DIDNT have a permit and thus were not allowed to open carry or we going with violation of their rights??? Yeah yeah I know WE dont know but boy we sure did jump all over it didnt we??? We no different then the other side we Love to criticize after all take a video clip put on an inflammatory title on it and we off to the races.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
They are licensed CC permit holders. They met the criteria to be legally armed where they were. They broke no laws, and were compliant with the orders being given by the officers despite their orders not being lawful.

Remember, the anarchists were rampaging around as this video was taken. The police were harassing these men trying to protect the businesses that some of them either worked at or owned. Instead of dealing with criminals engaging in open outright illegal acts.

·
Premium Member
4,352 Posts
Hope I will not rub too many folks the wrong way but I can see this from both sides. At some point 2A rights and especially open carry come into conflict with brandishing your weapon and intimidation. The answers like the law are certainly not very clear. For me I find it is usually best to exercise restraint and at times like this BE PREPARED but not antagonizing. Concealed carry does have its advantages. As post under a different thread it went something like: "sitting on the porch with my Garand behind the rocking chair and my pistol on my hip. Spare magazines on the table." That is another example of how I would exercise my 2A rights over open carry.
Exercising restraint in a riot situation. Time to surrender the weapons.

Reactions: WC145

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Hope I will not rub too many folks the wrong way but I can see this from both sides. At some point 2A rights and especially open carry come into conflict with brandishing your weapon and intimidation. The answers like the law are certainly not very clear. For me I find it is usually best to exercise restraint and at times like this BE PREPARED but not antagonizing. Concealed carry does have its advantages. As post under a different thread it went something like: "sitting on the porch with my Garand behind the rocking chair and my pistol on my hip. Spare magazines on the table." That is another example of how I would exercise my 2A rights over open carry.
Well you might wish to look at it this way.

Uniformed police carry openly as a matter of policy, which they receive from us. It is not their right to do this when in the performance of their duties but comes under the authority to do this which is granted by We the People. The People, on the other hand, do have a right to carry, openly or concealed, (many states abuse this right via permitting). So if police can carry openly then why not the People, when it is our right in the first place?

The detention and confiscation of the arms of these people is a clear violation of the law and of the oaths of service taken by those police officers. Unconscionable and outright sickening behavior by public servants.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Good Lord, I would hope so.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
They are licensed CC permit holders. They met the criteria to be legally armed where they were. They broke no laws, and were compliant with the orders being given by the officers despite their orders not being lawful.

Remember, the anarchists were rampaging around as this video was taken. The police were harassing these men trying to protect the businesses that some of them either worked at or owned. Instead of dealing with criminals engaging in open outright illegal acts.
I missed all that in the video or did you find this info posted somewhere else?? Links??

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
We have laws against that here. What kind of moron cops arrest on no legal charge?
They'll find something to charge them with since they can't charge them with legally carrying. And why do they need a permit to carry when they have the 2A right?

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
The Police are now confiscating weapons from law abiding citizens.

Of course they are, it's a Communist run city and Mayor Twinkle toes is all for the rioters. apparently as is his governor

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
It's obvious from the video that those who chant "....from my cold dead hands." don't really mean it. I didn't hear any such chants in the video but maybe you got my point. I wonder if they'll get their weapons back and without having to pay a storage fee.......

21 - 40 of 57 Posts