Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Guess we will have to start banning cars, since it isn't the driver's fault. Just the car. Cars are bad. Very, very bad.

·
Registered
115 Posts
For every story like that, there is atleast one like the kid in Chapel Hill who couldn't get a gun legally so he used something else! Where there is a will there IS a way - removing one means doesn't negate all others.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats one constant with this type of story. The individual is never held responsible for their decisions, it's always the inanimate objects fault. What logic.
Greg

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Yet another media figure using the First Amendment to evicerate the Second Amendment, NRA, firearms manufacturers and us, the gun owning public.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Maybe the cultural part is the need to have an OJ-esque trial. We live in a reality TV world. Killing a perp in self defense, or a suicide, deprives them of the excitement and ratings (and thus money) of a long trial.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
greg2536 said:
Thats one constant with this type of story. The individual is never held responsible for their decisions, it's always the inanimate objects fault. What logic.
Greg
This is in line with the new "Stop The Snitching" campaign. Essentially, it is acceptable to do whatever is necessary to gratify yourself. Blame is placed on those that would restrict the desires. There is a very important lesson in this, if you ponder it awhile.......

·
Registered
932 Posts
That appears to be the west coast mentality these days, though it seems to be mainly in the urban areas.

BTW, speaking of cars, Remember the kid with a grudge against the government who drove into a crowd of other students in Chapel Hill, NC a few weeks ago? I wonder how many newspapers and reporters were calling for a ban on cars or not allowing driving by students on campus after that happened!

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Typical hand wringer. :mad:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Maybe you guys should ship this author up here to Canada. He would fit in nicely with our gun-hating media. I got a good laugh from his description of the "sneaky lethalness of [the killer's] 12-gauge". He makes it sound as if there is a malignant spirit of stealthy mayhem trapped inside the shottie. I better go check my gun safe to make sure none of my firearms is trying anything "sneaky" or "lethal" while my back is turned. :rolleyes:

A similar multiple killing in Montreal by some nutbar with a Ruger Mini-14 caused us Canadian gunowners no end of grief. The media and the government all blamed the "evil" guns and this led to the registration of all guns in Canada and a host of other anti-gun rules designed to make life a living hell for legal firearms owners. Of course, the criminals weren't effected at all since they don't follow the laws anyway. So, the Canadian government wasted billions of tax dollars on gun registration, they made things miserable for law-abiding gun owners and guess what happened? Yup, violent crime went up. :mad:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
All I can add - as all has been said, is simply <sigh>! :frown:

·
Registered
635 Posts
freakshow10mm said:
Guess we will have to start banning cars, since it isn't the driver's fault. Just the car. Cars are bad. Very, very bad.

There will always be a weapon. If not a gun something else like a pipe bomb. Should we stop selling pipes and pvc.

The interesting thing would be if this guy did use a pipe bomb how if at all would this story of been written.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'm very thankful that Mr. Jamieson not make laws that affect me.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
rachilders said:
Remember the kid with a grudge against the government who drove into a crowd of other students in Chapel Hill, NC a few weeks ago?
The Islamic activist who stated he was doing it for Allah, at the scene? I was surprised he didn't die from head injuries sustained in the impact. Pity...... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Quote from the story:

"Huff had guns that were legal to possess. The guns he used in the killings appear to have been bought legally, which is disturbing, given the sneaky lethalness of his 12-gauge and his past gun trouble.

The Capitol Hill slayings present an opportunity for people to talk about how our nation is overrun with guns, including high-caliber assault rifles and semiautomatics."

---------------------------------------------------------

:rolleyes: Yes...let's not waste a minute thinking about what might cause a person to go bonkers and kill a group of partygoers...
Having access to firearms doesn't initiate psychopathic behavior. Some form of rot in his brain (drugs, alcohol, mental illness?) caused him to act out his wacked fantasy.

But, it's much easier to blame an inanimate object than take a look at how our "do it if it feels good" society may be playing into these killings...:mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
In California, the local media outlets actually ARE blaming vehicles for the actions of their owners. Specifically, SUV's.

In various reports, it's usually always mentioned when an SUV is involved. When referenced, it's "the SUV drove into the crowd...", or "the SUV careened down the freeway..."

·
Registered
4 Posts
By the way...I just opened up my safe and took a look at my collection. I even touched a couple of my firearms to wipe them down.

The only 'craving' I had was for more oatmeal...and maybe some orange juice. Then I closed the safe door.

I didn't see any sneaky lethalness.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I sent the author a brief, polite email. Everyone should take a moment to do the same. Imagine if we bury him in politely worded emails.

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Careful, MRex21, lest one of those sneaky shotguns leap out of the gunsafe at you. I've never observed independent behavior in one of my firearms, but they may just sneakily be waiting until I am caught unawares (at least according to Mr. Jamieson)....

Seriously, my sincere sympathy goes out to the families of the victims of this killer's (not his firearms') senseless act.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts