Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sure that many of us have been down this road, but I think I may have finally reached the end. It took me a long time (12 years) but I have been reflecting back to where I am now (funny how you do more of that the older you get).

A little over 12 years ago, I started training in firearms with a police firearms instructor in Ventura, California. The first pistol he had me shoot was a Gen 3 Glock 17, and I thought it was great (and I still think it is a remarkable pistol in terms of the engineering behind it). I bought one from my instructor (he had an FFL and at the time sold firearms, too). I did not know or understand that there were other Glock models.

Probably three months into my training I began to realize that there were a lot of other choices in the Glock world. It was also the time my wife started to train, too (she had taken a full semester of police firearms at a community college 38 years prior). We needed a second pistol, so I purchased a Glock 22 Gen 3. I shot it worse than I did the G17, but since it was the pistol of the day, and .40 caliber was popular, I persisted.

It was perhaps a few months after that I decided to try a Glock 27, because it was more concealable, which in California is a definite concern for CCW holders. I couldn’t shoot that any better than I did the G22; actually I definitely shot it worse. I traded it in short order for a G26.

I continued to carry the G26 for the rest of the time we lived in California (improving very slowly), but shortly before we moved had the opportunity to shoot several full size Sig P220s in both DA/SA and DAK models. I was amazed at how well they shot (or how well I shot them), but did not pursue the issue at the time.

We moved to Utah in 2014 and one of the main reasons I wanted to move was to be in a more firearms friendly state, and to have opportunities to hunt, which I initially pursued in California.

In the first couple of years after we moved, I purchased a Colt Commander, a G19, a G19 MOS with a red dot, and a Sig P938 for pocket carry. About three years ago, I purchased a Sig P229 more because I wanted to learn how to shoot DA/SA than for any other reason. I was surprised at how easy it was for me to learn how to run this pistol, and it became my regular carry weapon. I shoot the P229 as well as anything I own or have owned.

This year, I bought a Wilson Combat EDC X9, for several reasons. The reviews on it were very good, I thought the pistol was especially good looking, and I wanted one really high end pistol. Now, after carrying it for several months, I realize that I shoot it no better than I do a P229, despite the EDCX9 having a single action mechanism.

This is a long story that has been a very roundabout way of realizing that I can shoot just about any 9mm pistol about just as well as any other 9mm pistol or .38 special revolver I own. Could I shoot a .44 magnum or .454 Casull as well? Probably not. Essentially I have reached the point where I recognize that I have no reason to buy another pistol, unless of course there is some quantum leap in ballistics or other related technology that would make it important to stay on an even footing with other armed good guys (or bad guys).

Please don’t tell my wife about what I have written!

·
Premium Member
9,462 Posts
I am so happy to live at a time when we have so many choices in firearms.
Everyone is different, everyone has that special pistol that they seem to shoot better than anything else they have tried.
I have tried a lot of pistols in my time, but for some reason I keep coming back to the .45ACP 1911 style pistol. And the .38/.357 revolver.
I own mostly Sig's and Smith and Wesson's. Good quality guns but nothing very high end or custom. I shoot them as well as some 2-3 thousand dollar pistols I have tried.

·
Registered
15,152 Posts
My path is longer, however, up until the last decade I was restricted by policy on what I carried. I have narrowed the field to S&W revolvers and 1911's. The LW 9mm Commander is the best I have found as an all around EDC. I quality LW Commander in 45 ACP would work as well.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Like others here, my path has been long (35 years) and varied (sometimes duty gun, off duty gun, back up gun, etc....). In 2005 or so I switched over to the Glock 19 pistol - it really has been almost perfect for my needs. However, last year (actually late in 2019) I picked up a couple of Shadow Systems MR918s.

For me, this gun is an improvement on the 19. And at this point in time - I really think that this is the gun. Time will tell of course, but I don't see myself switching to anything else. I have two of them, and will probably pick up another one (well, the newer 920 now). I might also go with a couple of 920s that have the slide cut for a red dot - that might be the future for me, but like I said, time will tell.

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
You just have to keep rubbing it in!

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Congrats! I think? I know exactly what you mean. Although my background in shooting handguns started 45 years ago I have come to the point that more or different hardware no longer fills a need for me. Getting good with the guns I like to carry and shoot the best is my focus now. Small tweaks in grips, holsters,etc are probably never ending especially as I grow older. Dang, I could have saved thousands but, the journey was not without merit as I learned a lot about shooting and carrying different kinds of handguns.
For me the following pics are it. A couple of concealed options and a couple of open carried options. 2 calibers and a floating gun system of carry works it for me.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
My search was driven by balance as I had a bunch of "Tupperware" guns that were always top heavy and had bad triggers. Then I bought a steel Rock Island 1911 Compact in .45ACP.,sold all the plastic guns and bought 4 more Rocks. A bit heavier but fit my hand and have improved my shooting bigtime as the weight is better displaced. Rocks Rock.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I've been searching for the perfect pistol for 36 years now. I found it probably about 25 times, until a more perfect pistol came along.

These days I'm in a passionate relationship with my GLOCK 30S. Hellcat or Smith 642 when I need more concealment. Tomorrow ...... who knows.

Honestly though, if I wasn't such a .45 lover, my G19 would cover my needs pretty well.

·
Registered
20,891 Posts
Back to where I started 40+ years ago, and happy as hell to be back home!

·
Registered
20,891 Posts
The perfect pistol? J.M. Browning plowed that field about 110 years ago.

Then along came Tupperware......................................
Which one?
The one with the odd grip angle, or the one with the front slide serrations, or, one of the other early designs😉

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Not a really long time of searching and testing for me, and maybe I'm done, maybe not. For the longest time, I had a Taurus PT145, which I bought back in the early 2000's. I liked it, it was compact, it was .45 ACP, and it was okay shooting, When started carrying, I went to a Glock 30 SF, and liked it better than the Taurus. A quick succession of other possibilities, Glock G45, G19x, Kimber Micro-9, Sig P365. Then I found the Dan Wesson Vigil Commander in .45 ACP. That became my carry as soon as I proofed it. I've carried it ever since. But, I find myself carrying the Vigil Commander in 9mm more frequently. And I've worked the .357 snubbie in on occasion. Maybe eventually I'll go all wheel gun, maybe not. For the foreseeable future, I'm liking my Dan Wessons.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a really long time of searching and testing for me, and maybe I'm done, maybe not. For the longest time, I had a Taurus PT145, which I bought back in the early 2000's. I liked it, it was compact, it was .45 ACP, and it was okay shooting, When started carrying, I went to a Glock 30 SF, and liked it better than the Taurus. A quick succession of other possibilities, Glock G45, G19x, Kimber Micro-9, Sig P365. Then I found the Dan Wesson Vigil Commander in .45 ACP. That became my carry as soon as I proofed it. I've carried it ever since. But, I find myself carrying the Vigil Commander in 9mm more frequently. And I've worked the .357 snubbie in on occasion. Maybe eventually I'll go all wheel gun, maybe not. For the foreseeable future, I'm liking my Dan Wessons.
In a recent video on the Wilson Combat channel, on YouTube, I believe it was Ken Hackathorn and Bill Wilson who both admitted that at their age, their hands could not handle shooting .45 ACP anymore and they had switched to 9MM. I thought that was an interesting admission.

·
Registered
20,891 Posts
Well, Tupperware comes in all flavors to suit every customer.
I was talking about the 1905 variation of the 1911. There was also an early version with forward serrations on the slide.

JMB might have plowed the field earlier, but some of those early crops lacked a lot to be desired, lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've only been shooting pistols since 2013 due to previously living in a unfriendly state (NYS) for pistols.Now living in Missouri and retired with a little more free money I have had in 8 yrs 11 different guns. I own now a G19,SA xd compact, and a SA xde.Non are glamorous all shoot fine and fill the roll of edc and target shooting. Do I NEED another handgun, no, will I buy another maybe. They all fit my carry options. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I was talking about the 1905 variation of the 1911. There was also an early version with forward serrations on the slide.

JMB might have plowed the field earlier, but some of those early crops lacked a lot to be desired, lol
Mr. Glock introduced a number of new designs during the 1980s. There have been countless changes and modifications made over the past 35 years or so, and something new is announced every few weeks. It will be interesting to see which (if any) survive to see another century mark pass.

Yes, the 1905 variant required some further development work, which resulted in the Model of 1911. The 1911 design resulted in a number of changes about 1927, resulting in the Model 1911A1. By the 1960s there was a cottage industry turning out custom pistols based on the 1911 platform, mostly for target work but later for combat and defensive applications. Many of the modifications became common for such companies as Kimber, Springfield Armory, and others producing pistols after the original patent protections ceased. Colt scrambled to compete from the 1980s to the present day.

The point is that the original 1911 pattern remains viable and effective, with many variations and modifications, and a dozen producers filling demands for pistols worldwide.

There probably is no such thing as the perfect pistol, but JMB's creation comes as close as we have seen at this point in history.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Here is a list of carried handguns for me over the years. Not in exact order but, close. I may have missed a few.

Ruger single six 22/22mag
Dan Wesson 15-2 357mag
Rossi M88 (still carry today) 38 spl
S&W 4506-1 45acp
Stevens pro 22 22lr
S&W 4516 45acp
Sig P290rs 9mm
Ruger SP101 357mag
Ruger Security six 357mag
Ruger Speed six x 2 357mag
Ruger GP100 357mag (still carry today)
S&W 469 9mm
S&W 3914 9mm
Rossi 720 44 special
Sig P227 45acp
HK P30sk x 2 9mm
S&W SDVE 9mm
Kahr CM45 x2 45acp
Sig 2022 9mm
Sig P220 45acp
Para 1911 Commander 45acp
LCP Custom 380
Beretta Pico 380
Rock Island "Baby rock" 380
EAA Witness P 45acp
Glock 43 9mm
Glock 20 10mm
Glock 21 45acp
Walther PPS 9mm
S&W 642 38spl (still carry today)
S&W M10 spl (still carry today)

That is 34 guns including some x2 I owned and carried. Think about all the holsters, magazines and after market stuff I bought for all of them and now I own only 4. I think I experimented enough.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts