Defensive Carry banner
101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
20,960 Posts
You been in the weight room or doing farm work?
Working out bro. Trying to keep my almost 60 year old body tuned up for the long haul.
Nothing but walking, wind sprints, push ups, and dead lifts.

The danged diet is the worst part:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm not sure why you're trying to make that point in response to my comment, as it's immaterial to my comment.

My point is that while revolvers are handguns, they are not pistols. Specifically, pistols are handguns with one or more stationary chambers. Revolvers are handguns that use multiple rotating chambers. Pistols and revolvers are mutually exclusive terms. They are both handguns, but pistols are not revolvers and revolvers are not pistols.

Handguns:
  • Revolvers
  • Pistols

Technically "Revolver" was derived from "Revolving Pistol".

When it stopped being a pistol I will let others argue.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
To me, there is no perfect gun, just like there is no perfect spice or perfect color etc. I love variety.
We live in a time when all definitions are being challenged.
That could be because many of the accepted definitions are wrong.
Just because a term is commonly misused in no way negates the fact that it's misused.

Nowhere is this more painfully evidence than the confusion over wheel, tire, and rim. People commonly refer to the rim as the wheel, but it's not. It's a rim. When you mount the tire, specifically the rubber tire, onto the rim, you have what the technical manual states is a "wheel assembly," or "wheel," for short. You bolt the wheel to the hub. The "wheel" is the complete assembly upon which the vehicle rides and includes both the tire and the rim.

When you see advertisements for "wheels" and only rims are depicted, such as this page with Discount Tires, it's because some marketer thought "wheels" sounded better than "rims" and it stuck, in part because it may have been a national chain and in part because it might indeed sound better. Doesn't make it right, though.

In racing, if a tire shreds, the announcer says the driver lost a tire. If the entire wheel (rim + tire) pops off the vehicle, the announcer says the driver lost a wheel.

Bottom Line: There are no revolvers present in this long list of pistols.

Again, let's please not perpetuate incorrect terminology just because of its prevalence.
Exactly, that is why I constantly challenge the definitions of words like "sacrifice" and "selfless" and "selfish". The prevalent accepted terminology is wrong.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Good on ya' Snub44 for pointing out that tidbit. I'm sure I encountered the patent information in print in the past, but hadn't thought to use that argument in debating the topic.

Here's another link to that site.

But wait!

There's more!

Of late it has become fashionable in some circles to bludgeon any who resort to the use of the term "pistol" when describing revolvers.
Oh, I wouldn't go that far.

But you did manage to dig up some excellent information.

Do you have sources? URLs i.e. links?

·
Super Moderator
19,034 Posts
No sources on the use of the term revolver by Colt upon the rise of the automatic pistol after 1900. That's just conjecture on my part. Samuel Colt's patent information on his revolver is pretty generally available on the interent and not only the sources ol' Snub44 and I mentioned in our posts.

No mention of revolving pistols by the time this Colt Model 1905 was produced.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
I just refer to em as a Gun. This 75yr old has been around the block a few times. I was a 1911 addict for a Long Time. I've carried my G26, an assortment of other handguns including a H&K P7.
But I too have come full circle, and have gone back to basics the Revolver. Not just any Revolver though. I respect the J frame S&W and have a few in the safe, but there is a Snubbie that I have fallen in Love With, Behold
Kimber Trio.jpg

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
My dad fought in WWII. He called all handguns "pistols."
He called all magazines "clips."
That's good enough for me.
Dad called them clips, as well. He's out at Chapel Heights if anyone wants to correct him.

·
Premium Member
38,334 Posts
Working out bro. Trying to keep my almost 60 year old body tuned up for the long haul.
Nothing but walking, wind sprints, push ups, and dead lifts.

The danged diet is the worst part:)
Walking, bicycling and diet changes are what worked for me.

The results are the best part.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
For me, it's walking/hiking 3 miles a day combined with some weight training and floor exercises, plus frequent fishing trips which involve hiking, rock-climbing, bushwhacking, etc.
That and less sweets. Boy, I like those sweets, though.
The mass quantities of sugar due to alcohol consumption got cut out over 5 years ago. That was harder than quitting sweets. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Well, I, too, have been hunting for the perfect pistol for many years.....my perfect is my CZ75D in 9mm although a little "chunky" when compared to my #2 perfect which is my S&W Shield 9mm which conceals better.
:LOL: I like the way you put that. My perfect Colt LW Commander is my #1 perfect, but my #2 perfect Shield 9mm conceals better as well. ;)

·
Premium Member
394 Posts
The perfect pistol……..though I had the Golden Fleece a few times, keeping coming back to the G26 and G42. Bet I have bought and sold and rebought them ten times over. Said forget it and bought two of each and call it good. Same with my G19s and G17s, so deep in the Glock Sphere that I don’t see the need to replace them with another make or model and have to get more magazines and holsters.

Lefty

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Roger That on the G26 Before I reverted back to the Revolver I carried what I call my G26-15. By using a standard 10rd mag, I have a highly Concealable Pistol, but insert a G19 Mag, and I have the Capacity of the G19. It's a Win/Win Combination.

G26-15.JPG

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't have the "perfect pistol"
The ones I feel comfortable with for a particular reason:
HK P30SK
Ruger 357 LCR
Smith BG380

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I couldn’t imagine one perfect pistol…
So many different options.. and applications
Seems like as of yet ..since my last surgery.. I carry lighter options.. recently picked up a LCP MAX and just ordered a GX4 .. and today I carried a 856UL .. and have 25 other options in the safe

101 - 120 of 152 Posts