Defensive Carry banner
121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I just refer to em as a Gun. This 75yr old has been around the block a few times. I was a 1911 addict for a Long Time. I've carried my G26, an assortment of other handguns including a H&K P7.
But I too have come full circle, and have gone back to basics the Revolver. Not just any Revolver though. I respect the J frame S&W and have a few in the safe, but there is a Snubbie that I have fallen in Love With, Behold View attachment 359275
If I were going that size I would go for something in .44 Special.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I guess Oxford proofread wrong, too? dictionary definition of revolver - Google Search

Wiki is not quite as established as an authority as is Colt OR Oxford. Now, to be fair...the wiki list are all pistols. However, the list doesn't include ALL pistols.

Some folks get plumb livid at THIS dictionary entry...but it's not a proofreading mistake. Definition of CLIP
Beat me to it, darn it.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
My Great Uncle called a handgun a pistol .. he killed several Germans in WW1 with a pistol .. one with a butt of a pistol … M1917 S&W 45acp …. He referred to it as a Pistol or Pistol’e… myself..I often refer to a Single Action 1873 Colt clone as as a pistol, but I call DA revolvers, revolvers & semi’s as Pistols
But at times I call all handguns as pistols….
and I don’t care what other people think or could care less what they say ..their opinion is that ..and we all have a opinions …

·
Registered
890 Posts
For approx $600 I think the best all 'round carry 9mm is the CZ PCR.
For $500, the P07 isn’t far behind. That’s why I repurchased this gun. Good for home defense and not terribly bad for carry. It’s a bit larger than a lot of carry guns though.

·
Registered
15,250 Posts
Of course today I wore this:
WIN_20210722_07_01_35_Pro.jpg

My gunsmith installed the new front sight last week and I sighted it in @15 yards and had 3 shots touching. I figured that was good enough for a 200 grn JHP @ 1350 fps.

·
Super Moderator
19,034 Posts
View attachment 360338

My gunsmith installed the new front sight last week and I sighted it in @15 yards and had 3 shots touching. I figured that was good enough for a 200 grn JHP @ 1350 fps.
You'll take your self defense handgun choice with extra "starch."

·
Super Moderator
19,034 Posts
Those who can do, those who can't make youtube videos.
And for a variation on that theme:

Those who can do and those who can't carry 9mms and .38 Specials. Hah!

·
Super Moderator
22,389 Posts
I was talking about the 1905 variation of the 1911. There was also an early version with forward serrations on the slide.
Sorry Chuck, but no. ;)

The Model 1905 Military .45 ACP Rimless Smokeless is not a variation of the Model 1911 U.S. Army .45 ACP, they are completely different pistols. The pistol with the forward serrations was the Model 1902 Sporting .38 ACP Rimless Smokeless, it was considered by Browning and Colt to be a continuation of the Model 1900 .38 ACP Rimless-Smokeless. Technically, the Model 1911 U.S. Army .45 ACP might be considered a variation of the Model 1910 .45 ACP Rimless Smokeless. The Model 1911A1 (transition model 1924) is a variation of the Model 1911 U.S. Army .45 ACP.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
View attachment 360338

Carried the 696 a few years back...just couldn't get used to the adj sights...don't like 'em. Found out that Smith made a 629 snub .44 with fixed sights, but I've only seen a coupla pictures of one. That'd be enough temptation to go back to .44 Spl for me. Might be remembering wrong...now I can only find a pic online of a round butted snub in BLUE...maybe I was dreamin' they also made it in stainless. The blued one was a Lew Horton deal in the 80s.

·
Registered
11,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·

·
Registered
20,959 Posts
Sorry Chuck, but no. ;)

The Model 1905 Military .45 ACP Rimless Smokeless is not a variation of the Model 1911 U.S. Army .45 ACP, they are completely different pistols. The pistol with the forward serrations was the Model 1902 Sporting .38 ACP Rimless Smokeless, it was considered by Browning and Colt to be a continuation of the Model 1900 .38 ACP Rimless-Smokeless. Technically, the Model 1911 U.S. Army .45 ACP might be considered a variation of the Model 1910 .45 ACP Rimless Smokeless. The Model 1911A1 (transition model 1924) is a variation of the Model 1911 U.S. Army .45 ACP.
👍 see, that’s why we need you!
Apparently I got my information mixed up!

Reactions: bmcgilvray and OD*

·
Registered
15,250 Posts
Carried the 696 a few years back...just couldn't get used to the adj sights...don't like 'em. Found out that Smith made a 629 snub .44 with fixed sights, but I've only seen a coupla pictures of one. That'd be enough temptation to go back to .44 Spl for me. Might be remembering wrong...now I can only find a pic online of a round butted snub in BLUE...maybe I was dreamin' they also made it in stainless. The blued one was a Lew Horton deal in the 80s.
It was a limited run in the early 2000's. I hade one, 3" BBL, Ported. They became quite valuable. Like a fool I let it go.

·
Super Moderator
19,034 Posts
Sort of a tangent to the original topic, but hey, this could have been a perfect pistol for someone back in the day.

To illustrate that there is nothing new under the sun with firearms features a Colt Model 1902 .38 ACP. Look Ma! Front slide serrations! Over a hundred and ten years ago too. One one of these pistols a person used the front serrations or didn't use serrations at all.

Here's the well used Colt Model 1905 that roosts here on the Colt shelf in the safe. Chambered for the ".45 Rimless Smokeless" it shoots a treat with medium powered .45 ACP handloads using a middle of the road charge of Unique and 200 grain cast lead bullets. The Model 1905 has been used over the years with the later 230 grain .45 ACP ammunition, but the original loading when the cartridge was introduced in 1905 called for 200 grain round nose bullets with cupro-nickel jackets. So, I substitute cast lead 200 grain round nose and it eats it up. Never jams. Of course I've only ever fired exactly 200 rounds of ammunition through it since I got it some 20 years ago now.

As Dan says, it's not really the same thing. It's a more primitive in design. Some nicknamed the early Colt .38 ACP and .45 ACP pistols as having a "parallel ruler" design. Not of blow back design, it features twin toggle action unlocking the barrel and having a wedge slide retention located near the front of the slide, that also facilitates take down. Some folks get all hoodoodled to consider the wedge locking design, afraid that things will break, sending the slide into the shooters face. Me? I'm like the old commercial declaring: "Let Mikey try it. He'll eat anything." I'll take on most any gun design as well as guns having a reputation for a fearsome recoil and at least experience them. The Model 1905 shouldn't be punished with heavy +P style factory loads or heavy handloads, but the pistol's slide runs back and forth on the frame with great facility, the external extractor clearing the empties and the pistol chambering the next round with dependability. I ain't skeered of it with sane ammunition. If an emergency warranted it, I'd be willing to depend on the pistol for serious purposes.

121 - 140 of 152 Posts